Safety glasses recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalala

Reaction score
The safety glasses supplied by the company are the cheapest ones they can find. They get scratched immediately and fog up and I find myself not wearing them because of this. I'd like to order a decent pair, but I need some that work well with ear muffs. If the over the ear part is too thick, my kask earmuffs will pop off my ears. Which ones work for you?

I had a similar issue and went with a slightly different solution, though this may not fit your particular needs:

Husqvarna 588646001 Technical Forest Helmet
Fix-My-Toys-Online (450114)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/404239995071
1701977770359.jpeg

Also available on Amazon.

There are some complaints about the earmuff mechanism breaking, my helmet doesn't get "a lot" of use and has been fine, though I take good care of it....well, other than if I leave the lid up I smash it into a lot of things like doors. So far it has worked great with no issues.

I wear contacts, and never found a satisfactory set of safety glasses that didn't fog on me. Doesn't cask make a screen shield like Brad showed? Incidentally, your company should be involved in this problem if they are smart... decent safety glasses are way cheaper than a workers comp claim

I wear contacts, and never found a satisfactory set of safety glasses that didn't fog on me. Doesn't cask make a screen shield like Brad showed? Incidentally, your company should be involved in this problem if they are smart... decent safety glasses are way cheaper than a workers comp claim
I found if I put these glasses on like normal, put on headphones, then pull the glasses out 3/16" or so in warm/hot weather they don't fog up or get covered in sweat. To prevent fogging in winter I coat both sides in Cat Crap(tm) and buff.

Headphones hold them where I want them, earplugs...not so much.

2023-12-0714.37.502167492967284672035.jpg
(click/tap image to enlarge)

For windy saw days and string trimming they have to be kept tight to keep stuff out of my eyes, and then they may get sweated up as they're form fitting to my face, so I wear them under the helmet pulled out a bit, and a do-rag to keep stuff off my neck (or the flap that came with the helmet, depending).

I prefer my helmet and face shield when running my saw or trimmer. It has the added bonus of keeping brush and small limbs from smacking me it the face.
OSHA doesn't care tho
still have to have safety glasses weather you have a face shield or not
now, that being said, that also 100% relies on you even caring what OSHA says in the first place

The safety glasses supplied by the company are the cheapest ones they can find. They get scratched immediately and fog up and I find myself not wearing them because of this. I'd like to order a decent pair, but I need some that work well with ear muffs. If the over the ear part is too thick, my kask earmuffs will pop off my ears. Which ones work for you?
I probably purchase 40+ safety glasses from ULINE every year. They have some that have a gasket foam that mold to your face and optional elastic band with interchangeable arms. Most anti-fog glasses preform well.

OSHA doesn't care tho
still have to have safety glasses weather you have a face shield or not
now, that being said, that also 100% relies on you even caring what OSHA says in the first place
On the job, I care what OSHA says. More importantly, I want my coworkers to go home safely whether they are still employed or not is on them. Both on the job, and off the job, I apply Mike Rowe's "Safety Third" principle. I assume that nobody is more concerned about my safety than me. I've cut with no eye pro, with safety glasses, with a helmet and face shield, and with glasses and a helmet and a face shield. Under all 4 conditions, I've had crud get in my eyes. The helmet and face shield have done a much better job than glasses alone, especially for larger debris. With the face shield, I may end up with some very fine dust over the course of the day. With glasses alone, I've not only had large chips come up under them, but more than once I've had a small limb or briar find its way under them. If I'm cutting in the back yard, it's a toss up as to what I'll have on, but I never take the chainsaw somewhere without my helmet.

I really like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0744MVDSZ/
The antifog does decent. I have both clear and shaded versions. Can't feel them under earmuffs.

I clean them with these anti-fog wipes. Not sure if that makes a big difference - I think keeping them clean is a big part of the antifog. Anything is going to fog in the wrong conditions.

I really like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0744MVDSZ/
The antifog does decent. I have both clear and shaded versions. Can't feel them under earmuffs.

I clean them with these anti-fog wipes. Not sure if that makes a big difference - I think keeping them clean is a big part of the antifog. Anything is going to fog in the wrong conditions.

I've been wearing the big goofball glasses for years. Feels like you have a shield in front of your eyes. And they're cheap so even if you scratch them or lose them, it's not a big deal. They leave a bit too much room at the bottom for debris to get in sometimes, but all in all I really like them. Saved my bacon many times. Great for the chipper when the branches are whipping around.

144701.jpg

Attachments

• 1702798300533.jpeg
    1702798300533.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1
Does anyone have a source for safety reader glasses? I was given a couple of pairs and love them, but have not had any luck finding a source for more.I can find all kinds of bi-focall safety glasses. That is not what I am looking for. A 1.5x reader is perfect for me for everyday use, both close up and reasonable distances. A 2x reader matches my wifes distance prescription perfectly as well.
if you have a source for fixed focus safety readers, please post it up

I wear prescription glasses, so, I always get safety rated RX glasses at the same time.

EDIT: often there are ‘buy one pair, get one pair 50% off’ offers. Many people use these to get prescription sun glasses (which are great fir driving). I tried to use them for safety glasses (ANSI rated, side shields, etc. ).

Sears used to sell them. Sam's Club Optical (not sure if you need to be a member). Many other optical places have some, but usually more limited choices, and more $$$.

Beats the . . . . out of wearing other glasses / goggles over these.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back