Stihl 024 3/8 or .325?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverKing

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Im anxiously awaiting my 024 wb to get here.Gonna go with a 16" b/c.Was leaning towards 3/8 lo profile,but Im thinkin .325 would have more choices and be more readily available.Hopefully I can find 8 pin sprocket.This saw will be used for the small stuff,no bigger than 8-10 inch wood,and post top cuttin and sharpening post.

Im anxiously awaiting my 024 wb to get here.Gonna go with a 16" b/c.Was leaning towards 3/8 lo profile,but Im thinkin .325 would have more choices and be more readily available.Hopefully I can find 8 pin sprocket.This saw will be used for the small stuff,no bigger than 8-10 inch wood,and post top cuttin and sharpening post.

8-pin .325 rims that fit surely does exist, but it will be much better to use 7-pin on that saw, even with that wood.

I switched my ms260 over to .325 w/ 16" bar because I was seeing good deals on premade chain loops from Baileys
(I didn't plan on buying another reel of 3/8 and making loops)

Just a thought, don't know how many chains you think you'll be going thru.

I got my 16" lo pro (Picco) bar with another saw that had been used on a Logosol mill.
Parts are harder to find/special order, but it works great on a 024/026 for small stuff. I prefer .325 over 3/8 lo pro for firewood , but I seldom switch sprockets and bars on the 026 because I have the 046 set up for that purpose.

I got my 16" lo pro (Picco) bar with another saw that had been used on a Logosol mill.
Parts are harder to find/special order, but it works great on a 024/026 for small stuff. I prefer .325 over 3/8 lo pro for firewood , but I seldom switch sprockets and bars on the 026 because I have the 046 set up for that purpose.

So Stihl makes one? What is the part number?

I'm with Fish I've never seen a low pro 3/8" bar that would fit an 024/026 here in the states. You can find std 3/8" bars that will fit, but not low profile 3/8". Even if they existed, I don't see the reason in running them instead of the most common .325.

So Stihl makes one? What is the part number?

3003 000 6313 in 16", 3003 000 6317 in 18" - both have small 9 tooth noses, but a dl count like the regular 3/8 bars (60 and 66), not like other Picco bars, that are at least an inch short for the "called" length.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I would have bought one either, but I got mine for free so I might as well use it for something! :)

Stihl used to offer them. Discontinued for awhile now, I read something about the chains not holding up to over 3+ hp.

Stihl used to offer them. Discontinued for awhile now, I read something about the chains not holding up to over 3+ hp.

Well, chain breakage has been observed here, when log house builders use it on 066/660 Logosol saws, but those are about 7 hp stock. A 2.7hp 024/240 hardly will break one, unless you do some stupid mistake.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to use those bars on an 024, and really no bar as long as 16" ....

Latest posts

Back