Stihl 024AV Swapped out without Permission by local shop - Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest Baughman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My mother, a 75yo woman, took my deceased fathers 024AV EV chainsaw (in the case) for a tune up and check out at a local shop in NW Ark, only to have it returned to her a month (approx) later. 2 days after taking it home, she opened it only to see another chainsaw with the only 1 part from the original saw being on it. That part, cover plate (1121-084-0900 - old part #) was because it had her name inscribed on it. She was very upset and didn't know what to do. I suggested she file a police report for the area of the shops location, which she did, and they suggested she confront the shop owner. She did and he says she has no proof. Any suggestions on how to proceed with a situation like this? She has taken this Stihl in before for services, so I'm sure she knows what the saw looks like (my brothers use it to cut her wood.) Is this a underhanded trick sometimes pulled on the elderly?
On top of that, it was fired up and could hardly run when they tried to use it. It ran hot and melted the original part over the spark plug. Does not sound original to me. I can't locate an IPL showing the old part number, bought back in the early late 70's to early 80's likely. Opinions? My first post, sorry to be so drastic.

My mother, a 75yo woman, took my deceased fathers 024AV EV chainsaw (in the case) for a tune up and check out at a local shop in NW Ark, only to have it returned to her a month (approx) later. 2 days after taking it home, she opened it only to see another chainsaw with the only 1 part from the original saw being on it. That part, cover plate (1121-084-0900 - old part #) was because it had her name inscribed on it. She was very upset and didn't know what to do. I suggested she file a police report for the area of the shops location, which she did, and they suggested she confront the shop owner. She did and he says she has no proof. Any suggestions on how to proceed with a situation like this? She has taken this Stihl in before for services, so I'm sure she knows what the saw looks like (my brothers use it to cut her wood.) Is this a underhanded trick sometimes pulled on the elderly?
On top of that, it was fired up and could hardly run when they tried to use it. It ran hot and melted the original part over the spark plug. Does not sound original to me. I can't locate an IPL showing the old part number, bought back in the early late 70's to early 80's likely. Opinions? My first post, sorry to be so drastic.

Update: Just got a reply back from Stihl, my father did register it in 1995 (I thought he bought it when I was in the military) and it is an 026AV with a serial number, now to compare and report.

The serial number is located on a little flat part to the right of the muffler, just about the clutch cover. It will be interesting to hear what happened as the 024 and 026 are virtually identical on the exterior. Our shop logs in every saw by the serial number as it can be very easy for the mechanics to get two saws mixed up if they are working on more than one saw. We try to keep it one saw at a time on the bench, but poop happens. The first thing that should have happened before the police report was to take the issue to the owner of the shop. It very well could have been an honest mistake.

The serial number is located on a little flat part to the right of the muffler, just about the clutch cover. It will be interesting to hear what happened as the 024 and 026 are virtually identical on the exterior. Our shop logs in every saw by the serial number as it can be very easy for the mechanics to get two saws mixed up if they are working on more than one saw. We try to keep it one saw at a time on the bench, but poop happens. The first thing that should have happened before the police report was to take the issue to the owner of the shop. It very well could have been an honest mistake.

She went there first to find it closed during business hours. She is limited on travel, so doing so is inconvienant for her and those helping her. She lives in the boonies and does not drive, but relies on family for shuttle service. The shop owner's attitude and all indicates its not likely such an honest mistake. If an elderly person came to me with a similar problem, and knowing the chainsaw was part of the means to stay home warm in the winter (wood stove for heating), I would do a lot more to help instead of coping the attitude. Thanks for the opinion though!

That cover plate was the only part that had any personal identification markings on it? Were there any other imperfections of the saw that you can remember, or identifying characteristics, like the bar not being the same brand or length that you had before? I've heard of shady shops changing out bars and chains before, in hopes people didn't notice. I can't believe someone could sleep at night doing things like that (allegedly doing things like that).

I'd stand at the counter of that dealer until they remembered what they did with my moms saw. Calmly. Patiently. Kill them with kindness. Firmly. If he calls the police, or asks you to leave, call the local newspaper while you stand in front of him. Tell them of the story of a local shop defrauding a widow of her dead husbands chainsaw. Ask them when they would like to interview the widow. It isn't about the couple hundred dollar saw. It's a matter of deceit and poor judgement. Welcome to the forum, hope this ends well. Doesn't seem likely.

I'd stand at the counter of that dealer until they remembered what they did with my moms saw. Calmly. Patiently. Kill them with kindness. Firmly. If he calls the police, or asks you to leave, call the local newspaper while you stand in front of him. Tell them of the story of a local shop defrauding a widow of her dead husbands chainsaw. Ask them when they would like to interview the widow. It isn't about the couple hundred dollar saw. It's a matter of deceit and poor judgement. Welcome to the forum, hope this ends well. Doesn't seem likely.

I'm in SoCal, she's in NW Arkansas..... Otherwise, I would stand there with news teams, AARP, and anyone one else I could round up. Its a shame that people take advantage of seniors. I keep reminder her how people take advantage of the elderly, uneducated and rural areas when it comes to scammers, cheating, druggies and the like. That area is filling to the brim now under today's situation, not so when I was there in HS. Those days are gone unfortunately.

That cover plate was the only part that had any personal identification markings on it? Were there any other imperfections of the saw that you can remember, or identifying characteristics, like the bar not being the same brand or length that you had before? I've heard of shady shops changing out bars and chains before, in hopes people didn't notice. I can't believe someone could sleep at night doing things like that (allegedly doing things like that).

She did say she thought the bar was a bit shorter. Hard to do the proof on that since they are easily interchanged. I think the cover plate was switched out some time earlier since my Dad registered a 026AV according to Stihl, and sometime after he passed and she had it worked on, she marked it. Although they are so close in type and so interchangeable, who knows. Hopefully, the serial number will disclose more. Thanks for the reply.

I'm in SoCal, she's in NW Arkansas..... Otherwise, I would stand there with news teams, AARP, and anyone one else I could round up. Its a shame that people take advantage of seniors. I keep reminder her how people take advantage of the elderly, uneducated and rural areas when it comes to scammers, cheating, druggies and the like. That area is filling to the brim now under today's situation, not so when I was there in HS. Those days are gone unfortunately.
I live here in NWA... what town is the shop in? If it is where I am , I work two blocks from the Stihl dealership and know them all and will be glad to step over and see whats going on.
Don't quite agree however with the thought that we are overrun with dishonest people here , yeah they are every were I guess , but the area I live in is as good as I could ask for these days.

Sounds like it's time for a road trip.

A simple vin check against the one your father registered in '95 will confirm if you have a case or not... We'll wait... Takes 10 minutes... Would of been the first think I would of done once I found out what the number was...

Can't afford that for now, have to do what I can remotely, so to speak. Need to keep it legal as well, if I was there, I'd likely violate the law in person. Getting my dad's chainsaw is unlikely now, best to deal with what I can help with now. I can't post who or what specific shop info, but I'll try as best I can to prevent this from happening to others. Faith lives.
I live here in NWA... what town is the shop in? If it is where I am , I work two blocks from the Stihl dealership and know them all and will be glad to step over and see whats going on.
Don't quite agree however with the thought that we are overrun with dishonest people here , yeah they are every were I guess , but the area I live in is as good as I could ask for these days.

Can't afford that for now, have to do what I can remotely, so to speak. Need to keep it legal as well, if I was there, I'd likely violate the law in person. Getting my dad's chainsaw is unlikely now, best to deal with what I can help with now. I can't post who or what specific shop info, but I'll try as best I can to prevent this from happening to others. Faith lives.
You might be gettin spun up over nothing. Without verifying the vin is correct you are just making accusations.

I'm with marshy man...why has the serial number not been verified yet...it's really that simple. Is it possible your ma just don't remember what it looks like...I get it all the time from customers...they drop something off and a week later come to pick it up and ask if I'm sure it's the same piece they dropped off. I simply verify the serial numbers and it's case closed.

It wasn't a dealership, but a small engine reapir shop. Its in the same town as the UofA.

And I need to make a correction here, she spoke with an employee, not the owner. The employee coped the attitude.

A simple vin check against the one your father registered in '95 will confirm if you have a case or not... We'll wait... Takes 10 minutes... Would of been the first think I would of done once I found out what the number was...

I'm waiting for her to take the Stihl to a hardware store for a check of that info. More reputable than having a family member do it. She is planning to do it on Saturday.

You might be gettin spun up over nothing. Without verifying the vin is correct you are just making accusations.

You are correct there, but until it is proven one way or the other, I will believe my mom's judgement. If she can notice the swapping of a gas can spout (old style versus the new, which she can't work well) I think she still has it mentally, but I have given it the thought. I've been wrong myself even though I swore I was right, just need to do the right thing and due diligence here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back