Stihl 026 - .050 or .063

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodeneye

Hardwood Hunter
Reaction score
Hi, just got my Stihl 026 running and I'm not sure if it runs .050 or .063 chain in it? How can I tell? Thanks!

I do have the bar, but I think it is worn. I'll have to check to see if I can find any markings. It definitely doesn't have the markings your bar does. Thanks Dex!

I'm going off of my fuzzy memory here But...
I just checked a new .050 gauge Windsor bar and a dime will fit into the slot
but a penny wont.
the penny looks to be a thickness for .058 slot.
and I THINK maybe a nickle was the coin to check a .063 slot with.
Hopefully someone who knows the facts will chime in with the answer.
I only have .050 gauge items so I can't check further.

I looked up your coin test on this forum, sounds like you are correct as someone tested it. Thanks for the tips.

The most common flavor on 026's is 3/8 .050, and .325 .063 in the Northwest U.S. In Canada, I have no clue.

The ones that have gone through my hands were of the .325/.063 flavour I have set one up for a guy 20" bar 3/8 and he was super happy.. then there is this "jabroni" I know runs a 25" bar and never looks back.. Great saw however it is set up.

She's a .063... I was kinda hoping for a .050 just for compatibility reasons, but it doesn't look like that's gonna be the case. I double checked the coin system in a known .050 bar and sure enough, the dime was the one that fit it. Only a nickel would fit in my 026 bar securely.

My dad bought a forester bar for his 026 that is .050 .325 so he can use the roll of chain he has. That's always an option.

What's the better set up. In the east .050 more choices. on the 029 I just got it's .063 I was just trying out the low profle. now what?

Latest posts

Back