Stihl 028 AV wood boss rebuild question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, OEM air filter NLA. The major issue with the Chinese air filters is a weak spring on the choke shutter.It with shut down at higher throttle settings and almost kill the saw. Part # 0000 997 5505. Still available at this time. It has cured every one I tried it on.
Nope, don't like A/M parts, but hate to see a saw done for just because a part is NLA. And I am just dumb enough to figure the issues.

Some of the 028 aftermarket filters are out of tolerance and the control lever will not stay in the choke position.
You can put a couple of gaskets between the carb and the intake manifold and basically move the filter further out allowing the control lever to stay in place.

Yes, OEM air filter NLA. The major issue with the Chinese air filters is a weak spring on the choke shutter.It with shut down at higher throttle settings and almost kill the saw. Part # 0000 997 5505. Still available at this time. It has cured every one I tried it on.
Nope, don't like A/M parts, but hate to see a saw done for just because a part is NLA. And I am just dumb enough to figure the issues.

The oldtimer Stihl dealer I used to go to gave me a heads up when the 028 filters were discontinued, told me AM were junk. I purchased one of the last ones that was still in Stihl inventory.

Still have that 028S, my first Stihl, it's all OEM and is as reliable as the Sun. Have a decent parts carcass that could be a runner I got for free. Nice to have most of the parts you might need on hand.

You can use one layer of electrical tape to add some taper to that step on the crankshaft. Put some grease on it. Watch that polymer center carefully. If it folds out you can bet you dropped the spring.

People get them out with paint can openers, drywall screws, different ways. Lyle makes an inexpensive puller that works.
If the bearing cage looks good I would not split the case.

To replace the seals- no, the case does not need to be split.
They pull out over the crank stubs and new ones slide over and are pressed into place- most without access to a press, use a deep socket and a hammer to fit them.
There are some pitfalls to be avoided- suggest watching some videos or the like if you have no experience in main oil seal fitting.

Thanks, I've just removed the offending clutch side seal with drywall screws. I then vacuumed and cleaned the area. Wow the old seal was really brittle and cracked upon removal. I'm waiting for the new seals to arrive now and watching videos like crazy. I think I'll try a lubed piece of plastic to get the seal over the lip.

Thanks, I've just removed the offending clutch side seal with drywall screws. I then vacuumed and cleaned the area. Wow the old seal was really brittle and cracked upon removal. I'm waiting for the new seals to arrive now and watching videos like crazy. I think I'll try a lubed piece of plastic to get the seal over the lip.
028 uses same seals as BR400 blower. The blower gasket kit is cheaper than ordering seals. 028 gasket kit NLA

028 uses same seals as BR400 blower. The blower gasket kit is cheaper than ordering seals. 028 gasket kit NLA
Interestingly I have no problem finding 028 parts in the UK. I don't mind aftermarket gaskets or carb kits and I sometimes use aftermarket rubber parts. Ideally I try to fix carburetors, but if I need a new one I try to avoid the aftermarket ones..

Yes, there are many things we can't get here that you can. Like the bearing in the end of a curved shaft trimmer. It would be stocked if I could get it.
Back in the day, I repaired a couple bronze bearings on the FS45's back in service by drilling a hole through them and inserting a roll pin or a roofing nail dressed to fit through the hole. The nail worked the best.

Back in the day, I repaired a couple bronze bearings on the FS45's back in service by drilling a hole through them and inserting a roll pin or a roofing nail dressed to fit through the hole. The nail worked the best.
BUT. would you do that in a shop for a paying customer, guarantee it and assume all the liability. And if it fails, the first words are "you just worked on it".

BUT. would you do that in a shop for a paying customer, guarantee it and assume all the liability. And if it fails, the first words are "you just worked on it".
I performed the work on a couple of FS45's and one FS46 in my shop. We were not permitted to jury rig anything in the shop for customers. I wasn't even permitted to dress and size a customers bar! Give them a repair estimate including the price of a new bar. When you quoted a customer a price for a new complete shaft, for the curved shaft trimmers they always bought a new trimmer. That's how I was able to get the worn out trimmers. Anyway my son has been using the FS46 now for over10 years! The shop where I once worked is now out of business, go figure!

Dressing bars is part of a tune up as is a sharp chain.
I get it on the replacement trimmer when needing a shaft due to price point.
To each his own. Sure there are things we could fix if it weren't for liability and cost.Part of running a shop that people don't realize.
Can only be up front and fair as we can and still stay in business.

Let the haters hate.

Speaking of 028's , had one the other day with one of the bottom corners broke off the muffler and a screw hole stripped. Had a junk 028 which miraculously had the same muffler. I tapped the screw hole up to 12-24and put an Allen screw in it. That was a happy man.

When somebody strips the threads in the blind holes of a hedge trimmer attachment I will drill them all the way through and use a longer screw with a lock nut. Why not.

Dressing bars is part of a tune up as is a sharp chain.
I get it on the replacement trimmer when needing a shaft due to price point.
To each his own. Sure there are things we could fix if it weren't for liability and cost.Part of running a shop that people don't realize.
Can only be up front and fair as we can and still stay in business.

Let the haters hate.
I agree. Liability is a big issue, especially today. The shop I retired from closed because of staffing problems. Very few younger people today have any interest working where they may get their hands dirty, limited mechanical skills, no tools and besides that, they can't put their phones away. Well, at least in my area, S.W. Pa.

I agree. Liability is a big issue, especially today. The shop I retired from closed because of staffing problems. Very few younger people today have any interest working where they may get their hands dirty, limited mechanical skills, no tools and besides that, they can't put their phones away. Well, at least in my area, S.W. Pa.

The owner of this hardware store that I work at when they can't keep up has two grandsons that are Stihl techs , and pretty sharp. One went to school to work on airplanes, so not sure if he will stay. But, we can fix anything but a broken heart. And, do it too cheap really.

Latest posts

Back