Stihl 046 Arctic Find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitty21

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was looking around on Kijiji this morning and saw this saw listed fort $80, ended up being $150 by the time I got there but I was still fine paying that. Started second pull in the Bass Pro Shops parking lot.

Got it home and tore into it. Piston and cylinder look pretty good, some streaking going on. Compression read a hair under 150psi on my chitty tester, likely around 145psi.

Obviously it needs the chainbrake assembly. I have a picture of the broken area, Not sure if that is part of the handle or another piece I will need as I am unfamiliar with this saw. Other than that it is missing a bolt for the starter cover and has no dogs. Also, it seems the lowered dog mount is in rough shape. I may need to get creative with a heli-coil or oversized bolt. I haven't decided yet. The bar isn't even in too terrible of shape, has a decent chunk out near the nose, but still a decent back up bar. Being picky it could use a new starter handle and there are some chips out of the clutch cover. But other than that I am pretty stoked on this one.

Here is how the saw looked when it got home
20160118_150303.jpg

Here are the P&C pics
20160118_151224.jpg 20160118_151307.jpg

Here is the broken piece of the Brake handle
20160118_154551.jpg

You suck! Is the saw in Peterborough or at home in Barrie?
Just asking since I got a 5 mm helicoil kit last week, if you wanted to go that route with the falling dog mount.

It's back at home in the garage. I am going to get the bolt ordered in and see if I can run a tap through to try and clean the threads up enough. If not we have another little project for peterborough I guess

Was looking around on Kijiji this morning and saw this saw listed fort $80, ended up being $150 by the time I got there but I was still fine paying that. Started second pull in the Bass Pro Shops parking lot.

Got it home and tore into it. Piston and cylinder look pretty good, some streaking going on. Compression read a hair under 150psi on my chitty tester, likely around 145psi.

Obviously it needs the chainbrake assembly. I have a picture of the broken area, Not sure if that is part of the handle or another piece I will need as I am unfamiliar with this saw. Other than that it is missing a bolt for the starter cover and has no dogs. Also, it seems the lowered dog mount is in rough shape. I may need to get creative with a heli-coil or oversized bolt. I haven't decided yet. The bar isn't even in too terrible of shape, has a decent chunk out near the nose, but still a decent back up bar. Being picky it could use a new starter handle and there are some chips out of the clutch cover. But other than that I am pretty stoked on this one.

Here is how the saw looked when it got home
View attachment 479751

Here are the P&C pics
View attachment 479752 View attachment 479753

Here is the broken piece of the Brake handle
View attachment 479754

I offered $140 on it...Outbid by $10.00
The guy was actually real nice to deal with. I was hesitant to go because it would take me over an hour to get there, and I thought that by the time I got there the price would be over $200. He said he would hold my offer whatever it was, and then even drove halfway between us so we each drove 45 minutes. Not often you have deals go like that on Kijiji

She is all back together and running great. Have found an oil leak due to a crack in the front of the case that I hope to repair later today

20160128_201810.jpg 20160128_201758.jpg

20160128_201615.jpg

Back