Stihl 056 Super from dirt to glory.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex the man.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I think I have a Stihl 056.. but since the plate is totally worn off how do I tell what it actually is a 045 or 056 and can I tell what the exact model it is?
Serial number is 113294128 if that helps any.

I'm doing Foggy's ignition fix because it didn't have any spark. But this saw has been sitting in the dirt outside for over 10 years and its still in amazing condition!

But I'll have to wait for the part to know if it will work or not so in the meanwhile also have a MS290 and it runs good! except for after running it 5-10 minutes it will die.. But if I open the gas cap every 5 minutes I don't have any issues. Anybody know what this would be caused by?

Also have a Husky 350 which I need to buy a carb rebuild kit for.

Am I correct in assuming the tank vent is in the gas cap, or am I wrong? I didn't fully check it out but from what I saw the only other line goes to the carb.

Yes you are completely right I had forgotten I had checked that before. I should probably just replace it then.

Its all in pieces right now, its in my profile picture though. But I can post one here so its larger.. Its actually just pieced together in the picture so if you tried picking it up it'd fall apart lol

2h8dbog.jpg

Haha yeah I might get a new bar and chain I have worked on the bar and chain some I may have it good by time I get the part for it. I do have a usable 18 inch bar from the MS290 though. The chain was like brand new I can tell that from where it was under the cover. Get it lubed and cut some with it and it'll clean right up. I still have no idea if this is a 045 or a 056, I read the only way to tell is from the bolts on the cylinder head or the exhaust port. But then I didn't see anything else about it.

Yep I need to fix the muffler maybe mod it at the same time I think the rest of it is fine I replaced the one rubber hose that was bad the rest of the rubber is ok. Only thing I'm concerned about is the carb, I think it will work but I'm not going to be sure until I can fix the ignition. I thought about painting the saw but decided not to. Saws aren't meant to be pretty.

Alex welcome. First you need to determind 045 or 056. 045 were almost all point ignition. You can also pull the muffler and measure the bore. The exhaust is another key on 056's the Magnum has dual port with a tube exiting the muffler and dumping on the right side of the cyl, there is a notch in the cooling fins at the corner to clear the outlet. The Mag carb cover is also different as they have two large air slots on the bottom in the rear along with the small square holes on the top if the original cover is still used. Hope this helps. Ken

Holy crap I think I have the magnum its a 54mm bore (rough estimate) It could be a 56mm I converted from inches to mm so with only 2mm difference and just using my eyes to see the tape measure it could easily be 56mm
and here is a picture of the muffler and cooling fins.

When you mentioned pipe going out the muffler that got me really excited.

2ur9i10.jpg

orla35.jpg

It is indeed a magnum! I am super stoked!! I confirmed it by measuring a piece of wire to 56mm and marking it then stuck it in the exhaust the bore is 56mm!!! This is amazing to me the most I was expecting was a 045 but hoping it was a 056 but its the magnum! This thing is worth something then! Thanks so much for helping me figure that out Spindrift

Awesome , I will be following this as I now have .......cough...... four and a half of these magnums in various states of completion. I've only been working on saws in my spare time for the past sixth months so I'm not keen to take on the 056 yet.

Here's another clue, the angled cooling fin on the Magnum cylinder was deleted prior to casting, the same cooling fin on the Super will have a machined appearance.
Also note the notches on the corners of the base of the Magnum cylinder. There is also some variation in the spacing of the cylinder mounting pattern between the Mag and Super.:yes:........Hope this helps.

Stihl 056 cylinders 002.JPG

Aww man way to crush me haha it looks like it might be the super.. It has the 28mm exhaust. But it still looks like the magnum cooling fins.

Also it looks like the magnum bulges out to the left side some but the super bulges to the right?

Back