Stihl 056 Super from dirt to glory.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a picture of the front of the exhaust. I'm thinking I have the Super
Because yeah I went out and looked at it again and it was the angles that messed me up. The cooling fins is still the weird part they do not look machined they look like it was molded that way. But everything else is matching up to be a Super.

npexbp.jpg

And the airfilter cover.
2zpmw6w.jpg

Thanks for your help guys! Pretty sure its a Super now.. not as awesome as a Magnum would be, but hey its better then I was expecting! Its not a 045 or just a plain 056 :D

Could your saw be a early magnum, as opposed to a magnum II ? Or maybe the 54mm cylinder in my pic is an early super?

Well its entirely possible! I'm really not sure.. I wish that tag wasn't worn off. But maybe somebody else can help figure this out. I can double check the cylinder measurement again make sure its 56mm. Is it possible the exhaust on your mag was ported to 31mm?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I read only 70 Magnum II's were made. It has the bosch ignition system too if that helps any.

I'm not trying to rain on a parade but the fix is for bosch and not sem. You might want to make sure the ignition you have. By the looks of how long your saw has been sitting it may need other NLA parts. Crank seals, case gaskets, and even air filters. Just making you aware. Good luck

So it is most likely a super and only different with the cooling fins because of the year it was made? That would be my guess.

I'm not trying to rain on a parade but the fix is for bosch and not sem. You might want to make sure the ignition you have. By the looks of how long your saw has been sitting it may need other NLA parts. Crank seals, case gaskets, and even air filters. Just making you aware. Good luck

Yes I may have to replace some of those parts. The seals appear to be ok, but right now I just want to see if it even can run or not. Naa you aren't raining on the parade, its a saw that has been sitting outside for 10 hears its amazing its in the condition it is in.

Well hopefully the fix will work! Thanks for the sarcasm on the bar haha its only a 20 inch bar anyway.
I feel for ya....what got me into historic chainsaws was a sat and the dump and a homlite 1050 automatic in the scrap pile...looked like it had been sitting under a brake lathe for about ten years. A little loving care and it was running again I used it some the sold it here for about 175.00 I think but that was almost ten years ago....good luck that thing will be awesome when your done just don't over restore it

sap can

Sorry for not replying for a while. Still waiting on the part for the 056. But been working on the MS290 it was flooding sitting there and it would loose all the gas in the gas tank just sitting there.. the muffler was full of gas etc.. and it was leaking oil so I took it apart and cleaned it all up. Put a small nail though that hole by the oiling hole to loosen up the ball in there. The problem with the flooding was the needle for letting fuel in was dirty so cleaned that up and it all works now.. Except high throttle acts really weird.

This is full throttle and its acting like its cutting through wood or something. I've tried adjusting the carb still the same thing. It died on its own choked itself to death or something. The airfilter is clean, sparkplug too. Any idea's?

I'm just working on an 056. I'm having troubles with it too.. goes rich and lean all the time, will have to check the crank seals as well.. Good luck with yours, I'll let you know if I make progress on mine

Yeah I checked all the rubber it seems to be fine. None of it looks like its cracked. But maybe its really small?

Back