Stihl 090 for milling.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albator

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post, and I am excited to join the community. I am only a wannabe lumberjack, so I hope you'll be patient with me. ;-)
You guys are all very knowledgeable, I am afraid it will take me some time before I can contribute myself and help others, but I will get there someday!

I live in California, in the Santa Cruz mountains, on a 8.5 acre forested land. I am originally from France, been here exactly 10 years. I am a volunteer firefighter and I love building and fixing things.

I have had an ms362 since it came out in 2009. My first saw, bought it new and I love it. I heat with wood, so I use it a lot for felling and bucking. But I am not a pro.

Now, I have 5 pine trees, quite straight, that I don't need for firewood, so I thought of milling them to build a chicken coop and a wood shed and a tool shed.

I am buying an Alaskan 36 mill, cheapest price is on Baileys. With the long aluminum rails for the first cut. But my 362 is too small for that job from what I read here. So I went looking for a bigger saw. Came across this guy selling a bunch of saws from former his business. There were some fancy 084 and 880 and 066, but I thought an old 090 would be better, because I don't need the comfort features and it was cheaper. I won't use it to fell or buck, only to mill, so I don't need the chain break or AV or lighter weight. Is that correct? Should I have bought something more recent?

So I bought those yesterday:
. Stihl 090, came with old 36 bar and good cutting chain
. An extra stihl 41 bar, excellent condition
. A small 017 for my fiancée, or for smaller tasks. Much lighter than the 362. Came with 14 inch bar and chain

I am writing you for advice, because I realize I don't know much about chainsaws. I have been successfully using my 362 for years, but I just got it new from the dealer. I did not worry about gage, sprocket, pitch, bar mount, ... I just got whatever the dealer sold me and sharpened it and replaced parts with their same.

I started working on the 017 yesterday. I stripped it and cleaned it. It was extremely dirty, covered in oil. It needs a new sprocket. Looking through the exhaust, the piston looks nice and clean. I will fire it now and let you know, but I wanted to write this message before going to the garage.

Today I want to clean the 090, and that's much harder. I don't even know how to remove the chain!
The sprocket and clutch bell are worn, but I don't know how to remove the clutch. The chain tensioner screw is not straight, should I replace it too? And that handlebar!

I tried the saw before buying it. I could start it easily, there seem to be a good compression, hard to spin without the decomp lever. Couldn't see oil coming off the bar automatically, but the manual oiler works and the bar was covered in oil. The chain kept spinning at idle. Acceleration was smooth and instant, no hesitation. Exhaust smoke was white, but I did not let the saw warm up, so maybe that's normal.

There is this weird contraption inside the pull start cover, near the flywheel. What is it?

uhedutez.jpg

epuqa9yt.jpg

qyquga3e.jpg

ry3a8uqa.jpg

6e5usymy.jpg

Thanks blsnelling! It is a small contraption, with a moving part that moves according to the flywheel speed, like if the flywheel is blowing wind onto it. There is a rod that goes through to the carburetor area. But it is disconnected. I will try to take a close up picture.

Greeting ablator. I live in Santa Cruz also. Did you buy the saws from the CL ad? He never returned my phone calls or messages. Don't bother with the 362, you will destroy it milling. Yes, as stated the vane controls the governor which controls engine speed. You really have to run the saw under load to feel it work properly. Running the saw unloaded will result in unstable RPM. Good luck. Let me know if you want to meet up for lunch sometime, it's on me.

Yeah, that handlebar is quite artsy.
Here are some pics of my governor. It is disconnected.
Is that ok? Can I reconnect/repair it?
ysetuvyr.jpg

y4azumyz.jpg

u9a6u8y7.jpg

Here is my sprocket.
I think I should replace it, right?
I counted 8 teeth. I expected 7. Is that correct?

And how do I change it? Seems like I need to remove the clutch? What's the best way?

5agabasy.jpg

5y8a3e8a.jpg

Idle screw looks cranked up a long way, has someone done this to try over fueling the saw at idle to stop the chain moving?
The 070/090 workshop manual can be readily had from ebay, be sure to get the 92 page version not the 24 page one,
also a 070/090 IPL....' Illustrated Parts List', will be very handy for working on the old girl.......enjoy!

Here is my sprocket.
I think I should replace it, right?
I counted 8 teeth. I expected 7. Is that correct?

And how do I change it? Seems like I need to remove the clutch? What's the best way?
hard to tell from you pic, but the sprocket looks ok. Not suprised it has an 8 tooth, will go heaps better than a 7. If you want to change it undo the nut (block the piston with rope, thread is left hand). Remove the washer and as much of what you find underneath. Then prize the sprocket off. Watch out, there is a spieth adaptor sleeve - it grips by expanding as the nut is tightened. It will be tight on the crank and drum, and it will be tricky to remove. I have heard of people rooting their drum getting it off, it can take a lot of force. I think I made a puller last time I had to remove mine. IMO it's best left until you really have to remove it...

Sounds like you could do with new clutch springs though.

and this really cracked me up
I also have a 090 handle thats in need of repair, could you put me in touch with the guy that did yours?:rock:
It really is the best handle repair I've ever seen. He sure was a "master of the wire". Is it solid? Wouldn't hurt to give that area a bit of a tidy up...

Where are you in the mountains? I am in Felton.

I bought a 090G a couple of months ago but I haven't had time to go through it yet. Did you buy your saw from the guy listing the saws on craigslist? I answered an ad for a collection of Stihl saws. I think he was in Aptos

Where are you in the mountains? I am in Felton.

I bought a 090G a couple of months ago but I haven't had time to go through it yet. Did you buy your saw from the guy listing the saws on craigslist? I answered an ad for a collection of Stihl saws. I think he was in Aptos
Hey Bob! How goes everything? How is the family? I've been working up by Hwy 236 and Hwy 35 (sorta near Castle Rock) and down in Big Sur. Tired of the090G yet? I could take it off your hands. That is just the kind of friend I am

Hey Bob! How goes everything? How is the family? I've been working up by Hwy 236 and Hwy 35 (sorta near Castle Rock) and down in Big Sur. Tired of the090G yet? I could take it off your hands. That is just the kind of friend I am

Do you mean Highway 9 and 35? 236 doesn't cross 35 that I know of. You go by my place every day! I live off 9 near Henry Cowell SP.

We are doing well here but busy. Work has been hectic then I do stuff around the house all weekend. It seems like it never ends sometimes.

I haven't had time to go through the 090G. I am in the middle of rebuilding some Husqvarnas for a friend and I went through some Stihls I picked up last year. I gotta get some coin together to buy 090G parts. Do you know where I can find a handlebar?

I am home today with strep throat and I feel useless. I hate summer colds. I should be in the garage where I belong.

How are you doing? How's Cody? I think I have my wife talked into going to Napa next fall so I can run some saws.

Whaa, that's awesome! I just join the group and there are two neighbors and another French guy!

2dogs and Bob, I live in Bonny Doon, near Empire Grade and Felton Empire. And I used to live on 35 near 9.
Yes I bought the saw from that dude in Aptos a few days ago. You bought your 090g from him a few months ago? How did you chose which saw to buy? He had so many.

I see he has a new ad for an 084. He wants $650. That's seems like a good price, right? He would probably drop it a bit too.

Would love to meet once your strep throat is healed. Good luck with that.
I received my Alaskan this morning. Can't wait to try it, but first I need to recover from my knee. Can't do much at the moment, except clean and sharpen the saw...

CapitainHaddock, I grew up in Royan, then live in Germany before coming to the US.

Here is another look at my custom made handle ;-)
It is solid, the thing doesn't move. There is wire, duct tape, some sort of cement, and a removed tons of electrical tape and cracked rubber hose.
py5u7yru.jpg

7uny8e7y.jpg

Latest posts

Back