stihl 261 and 362 crank problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering if there is a reason that the clutch drum bearings don't come greased. If they are greased dust and dirt is going to stick to it creating wear on the crank and bearing. Would something like dry graphite be better?

I'm wondering if there is a reason that the clutch drum bearings don't come greased. If they are greased dust and dirt is going to stick to it creating wear on the crank and bearing. Would something like dry graphite be better?
They come greased, but they dry out soon enough under heat and pressure while idling. The local dealer advised me to lubricate them with 30w oil instead, reasoning that when the grease dries out, it cakes up in the bearing cage, and the assembly eventually scuffs the crank. YMMV. Seems to me like servicing the clutch bearing is no different than the other little fussy things that go on with maintaining these tools.

Come on guys, STOP brain****ing this topic, these are simple tools to be used and not kissed good night! Grease is made for bearings! Does anyone really believe that a hardened crank shaft cannot cope with some occaisional dirt comming into a hidden bearing? And replacement bearings cost peanuts. Further how long are you guys idling your saws that the bearing grease is "used up" so fast?!? If the guys here would use the equipment like it was designed to be used the engine would be worn out after 3-5 years and in that time you should have the time for a yearly regreasing, with whatever you believe in...

It seems the end of these cranks can't take something. I've not seen grease last on a crank end more than a few tanks. When I swap rims I've not tied any of them to really have any leftover.

It seems the end of these cranks can't take something. I've not seen grease last on a crank end more than a few tanks...
Seems like an engineering issue for that assembly. Dusty, dirty, high-temp environment in the clutch would make short work of what little lubrication there is, and there doesn't seem to be an easy path to replenish the lubrication automatically. I'm sure SawTroll will be along any minute to explain why outboard clutches don't have this issue. :)

Hello,

I like the stihl 362. I have seen so many of them with failed crank bearings, its always the one with the strange groove, the other side takes a normal FAG bearing 6202. What is causing so many of these to fail? Kind of new to saws. I have rebuilt a few

Stihl wants $30 for the grooved side bearing made bt MTN in Japan, a unique bearing. Hutzl started selling the grooved bearing, not sure if they make a good bearing. FAG bearings are great but wish they were the same. for both sides of the crank

Unfortunately, Stihl often uses proprietary bearings.

I have never used Asian main bearings in a 362. The ones they make for the 440s and 660s generally hold up well as long as you make sure you flush any grit out of them first. (362 may be the same as a 440, I'm not sure).

Latest posts

Back