Stihl carb swaps MS260 / MS170

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roostersgt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently swapped out the non adjustable carb on my MS260 Pro, thanks greatly to a member here (Charlie aka "atpchas", a super nice guy). Changed out the old and put in a Walbro 194T, actually Charlie did, while I waited at his workbench. Now I'm working on my last non-adjustable saw, a MS 170 I rebuilt. My new Walbro 215 arrived today and I swapped out the tops. Had to use the carb compensator from the factory Zama carb the saw came with (snorkel thing). Have read here that I need to remove the brass plug, which is blocking the impulse port on the 215. Anyone have any ideas on how that tiny thing can be removed? Anyone have any pics they can post of the modifications they made to the saws plastic engine shroud to allow access to the carbs adjusting screws? Any pics / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Figured it out. Used drywall screw to remove brass plug then epoxied extra impulse port closed. Had to take trigger apart to hook linkage to carb up. I'll be starting it later. Going to give the epoxy a bit more time to dry. Drilled out the muffler a bit, but waiting to see how it runs before I get too crazy with it. Great advice and resources found on this site. Made this swap easier.

Here's a pic of both carbs to show the difference.

DSCN0022.jpg

A pic of the screw used to take up slop and ensure WOT.

DSCN0028.jpg

Another gratuitous pic of linkage.

DSCN0027.jpg

Pictures of the new adjustment holes.

DSCN0029.jpg

DSCN0030.jpg

I believe I ran into the same problem another faced with this carb swap. The saw had way too much trouble idling without the idle turned up so high the chain engaged. Played with it for quite a while before giving up. Put the wt-215 carbs original cover back on and ditched the "snorkel". Plugged the intelicarb hole with plumber epoxy. Waiting for it to dry before trying again.

Pic of air box hole plugged.

DSCN0031.jpg

Pic of carb with cover replaced.

DSCN0032.jpg

Pic of mild muffler mod.

DSCN0033.jpg

Thanks. Not my best saw by a long shot, but worth modding. Might have some killer gains to be had. Anyways, I hated having saws that were limited for no real reason other than EPA bull####. Love the fact that others at this site found ways to improve them. Love it.

Saw now starts and idles like it should. Will have to adjust H setting tomorrow morning.

Could it be there was a diaphram difference between those two carbs. (Not sure just thinking out loud here). Maybe some of the carb-experts could chime in. I love this thread though. The swap of the carb and the picture illustrations are great!

The WT194 swap for the MS260 is a great change also. I hate limited carbs. Rep already sent your way! :clap:

Back