Stihl MS180 Connecting Rod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogder

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. I busted a piston, bent a connecting rod and broke through the bottom pan using a metal piston stop:frown: Has anyone tried to reform and heat treat the connecting rod?? Can you acquire a replacement connecting rod?? Or should I try and get a replacement cylinder assembly?? I'm looking for the cheap way out. Thanks

I guess it's "good" to know it's not just me. I just got done bending a rod on an ms210 trying to do something as simple as taking the clutch off. Never in my life have I bent a rod doing this and I've been scratching my head all day long while I was on the road thinking over and over again, "How in the world could I have bent a connecting rod like that?" I found this thread searching for a related topic and now I think I can go to bed in peace, realizing that sometimes there is just junk stuff out there even if it's labeled STIHL.

Yes there have been many saw mechanics that have bent the conecting rod, but i have not bent one. To each their own.

I've learned from others mistakes. No "rope" trick or piston stop for me. I just borrow my neighbors air impact wrench. Not a problem yet and ,,,,braaaaaacccckkkk,,,it's off.

Please now contemplate the quadrillion+ rpms that the 170/180 rods have successfully moved the piston up and down. If you follow the Stihl service manual you will not bend the rod, nor hole the piston.

Please now contemplate the quadrillion+ rpms that the 170/180 rods have successfully moved the piston up and down. If you follow the Stihl service manual you will not bend the rod, nor hole the piston.

Could you please explain how a STIHL piston stop can prevent internal destruction better than other piston stops?????

In my 6 years in the biz, only bust a hole in piston and it was a MS180 that was seized
and I want to see how much it took to bust one. 400+ inch pounds and a metal piston stop later it busted.

Yes, they survive under typical use and when carefully following the Stihl prescrived service practices. However, IMHO, that's still no excuse to build a saw that is so fragile to work on. There's no excuse to build a saw with a stamped steel connecting rod. The rest of the saw is nearly equally as fragile. That just need not be. We don't hear of these issues with the competition.

Latest posts

Back