Stihl MS291 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdStihl

Now the leg, huh?
Reaction score
I'm glad to have found a site with such good information and helpful people. I've been lurking for awhile, so hello.

I have a 291 C-BEQ and want to know two things. 1.) Is there a stock muffler or aftermarket muffler I can buy to play around with (mod)? Is there a muffler for a different model that will bolt up to this one? My dealer mentioned something about it below his breath (038 maybe?). 2.) The limiter caps on the carb are the newer white ones. Can they be removed and the carb re-adjusted without modifying them? My saw is set from the factory as rich as it will go, and I'm afraid it is too lean for any muffler mod. In fact, from watching several tuning videos, I think my saw is lean to begin with. There is no WOT 4-stroking what so ever just before the cut. I want this, even without modifications.

These two concerns stem from the fact that I don't want to blow my warranty, but I also want my saw to perform a little better. I know it's dishonest, but if I had to take the saw in for service, I'd like to be able to revert back to "stock" if I had to. Is this a dumb idea? On that note, what is the board's perception on actually needing warranty service in the next two years.

Without buying a new saw, I'd like the saw to run a little healthier. I seem to have it in mind that the saw might quit in three or so years running as lean as it is (maybe sooner). I'd like to run it hard and have it last for a while. Know what I mean?

That's not 2 questions its 5 so I'm sorry but we're going to have to ban you from ever posting again.
I'm just kidding, just felt like saying something stupid. I honestly don't know the answers to your questions but welcome to the site.

I am not aware of another muffler that fits the 291. It fits both the 291 and 271. I doubt very much than another older muffler would fit it, but stranger things have happened. Removing the limiter caps on this saw is tougher than the older Stihl limiter caps. If you are worried about warranty, I doubt very much that you could get them off without your dealer figuring it out. They usually end up destroying themselves and you need to use a new one to replace it. The H screw, under the limiter cap, takes a special screwdriver. So, if you remove the outer limiter cap off, you will need to find the appropriate driver to adjust the screw.

As is, this saw will last through several hundred cords of firewood if you keep fresh fuel in it, keep up on your filter maintenance, and keep a sharp chain on it.

That's not 2 questions its 5 so I'm sorry but we're going to have to ban you from ever posting again.
I'm just kidding, just felt like saying something stupid. I honestly don't know the answers to your questions but welcome to the site.

Thanks for the welcome. :):p

I am not aware of another muffler that fits the 291. It fits both the 291 and 271. I doubt very much than another older muffler would fit it, but stranger things have happened. Removing the limiter caps on this saw is tougher than the older Stihl limiter caps. If you are worried about warranty, I doubt very much that you could get them off without your dealer figuring it out. They usually end up destroying themselves and you need to use a new one to replace it. The H screw, under the limiter cap, takes a special screwdriver. So, if you remove the outer limiter cap off, you will need to find the appropriate driver to adjust the screw.

As is, this saw will last through several hundred cords of firewood if you keep fresh fuel in it, keep up on your filter maintenance, and keep a sharp chain on it.

Appreciate the response. I asked my dealer, a really cool guy, if he could provide me with a little more H adjustment. I asked him if he could remove the limiter, give me about 3/4 more turn, and replace the limiter. He said he could, but had the tone that this might violate his dealer agreement with Stihl (I assume). If he can do that, I would be very happy. Thanks for the 271 tip! M4C?

Fresh fuel (high octane), routine maintenance, sharp chain. Roger that. I made my first batch of mix about 40:1 and the saw performed well.

I've removed limiters on older Stihls, but not on a 291. That is the nice thing about this site, is that it has knowledgeable people like AKDoug that can provide the correct advice. Enjoy your saw.

When I do searches, this site comes up with the best answers, so I happily joined. All of my research had me convinced that the limiters were easy to remove and replace (drywall screw trick), but those were the red variety. Not a lot of info on the newer white ones. I like to tinker, but wanted to tap you guys for your experience before cracking the saw open.

AKDoug, by the way, would that special screw head underneath the limiter be of the spline, single D, double D, or pacman variety? I have those tools.

Appreciate the response. I asked my dealer, a really cool guy, if he could provide me with a little more H adjustment. I asked him if he could remove the limiter, give me about 3/4 more turn, and replace the limiter. He said he could, but had the tone that this might violate his dealer agreement with Stihl (I assume). If he can do that, I would be very happy. Thanks for the 271 tip! M4C?

Fresh fuel (high octane), routine maintenance, sharp chain. Roger that. I made my first batch of mix about 40:1 and the saw performed well.
It's a violation with the EPA. Per STIHL's guidelines, a dealer is not to remove limiter caps on a new unit. They are only to do that if the unit comes back with problems, then the dealer is allowed to remove the caps.

@ColdStihl ,

I also have two questions.

How many tanks have you run through the saw? It sounds like you are unhappy with a brand new saw. That is NORMAL!!! You need at least 10-15 refills to have it broken in so that you begin to see it's full potential!

How good are your sharpening skills? That has a lot to do with your sawing results. If the rakers are too high or the chain is dull no mod in the world is going to make you happy!

It's a violation with the EPA. Per STIHL's guidelines, a dealer is not to remove limiter caps on a new unit. They are only to do that if the unit comes back with problems, then the dealer is allowed to remove the caps.

That makes sense as to why my guy had that reluctant tone. Do you think if I "complained (wink, wink)" that the saw seemed too lean that he might be inclined to "service" it? He's a nice enough guy, but I don't want to put him in an uncomfortable position, ya know.

Edited. Mucked up the post.

I guess that is why he

That makes sense as to why my guy had that reluctant tone. Do you think if I "complained (wink, wink)" that the saw seemed too lean that he might be inclined to "service" it? He's a nice enough guy, but I don't want to put him in an uncomfortable position, ya know.
Yeah. How would the EPA be able to verify this? Unless you're the agent, lol.

@ColdStihl ,

I also have two questions.

How many tanks have you run through the saw? It sounds like you are unhappy with a brand new saw. That is NORMAL!!! You need at least 10-15 refills to have it broken in so that you begin to see it's full potential!

How good are your sharpening skills? That has a lot to do with your sawing results. If the rakers are too high or the chain is dull no mod in the world is going to make you happy!

I have exactly 6 tanks through it. Still new, I know. I'm not at all unhappy with the saw; it's the best saw I've ever owned. Had I done it all over, 362. But I'm very happy, and even happier when I can tune/modify stuff. Once you learn about what you can do, it's tough for me to shy away. I'm sure none of you know what that is like..;)

My sharpening skill is pretty good. I also have a Dremel attachment that I bought to do my Hitachi pos, but I like hand sharpening better. The process is more intimate with the tool, and I can do it in the field. I bought a kit with the saw and touched up the teeth a couple times. Also, recently bought another chain to throw in the rotation (RM yellow). And a shorter, 16" bar and chain. This one came with a 20".

Thanks for the reply. I'm also perfectly comfortable leaving it alone and just using it, but then I wouldn't have had the pleasure to converse with you all.

Attachments

• 20140809_094808.jpg
    20140809_094808.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 18
Yeah. How would the EPA be able to verify this? Unless you're the agent, lol.

See that's thing, I don't know. I know my dealer from the car parts side of the store, and we are always jabbering about what I did to my Crown Vic PI over the weekend, so we're cool like that. Really great, small town service and a big part about why I bought a Stihl from them. The saw wasn't inexpensive, so messing with it without knowing the in's and out's isn't my thing.

Maybe I should have said this in the beginning... "AGENT BARNES!! HANDS!! LET ME SEE THOSE HANDS!"

There. Now that I've introduced myself, we can be clear that I don't intend to give my dealer a tough time. ;)

-Brian

I've got 18" bars on ours and personally I think it's all that saw can comfortably handle. I'm not saying I don't like them but they're just not powerhouses plus the oiler just barely handles the 18's

I've got 18" bars on ours and personally I think it's all that saw can comfortably handle. I'm not saying I don't like them but they're just not powerhouses plus the oiler just barely handles the 18's

We had some fallen trees last year, and my saw wasn't up to task. Borrowed my neighbor's 18" 290 and fell in love. The 291 C-BEQ was a pretty tough sell to the mrs., but I outlined all the safety features and pitched it as a saw she could also use. God, am I terrible. I even pictured myself buying her a bowling ball with my name on it. Naw, she's cool. We just have a lot of improvements to make on our new hobby farm. Removing dead trees IS an improvement, I said. Plus, it's good firewood and would help pay for itself over time.

Your list of saws is very impressive. All those even numbers have my left eye twitching hard. Would have to have a giant redwood fall in my yard to convince her that we just have to get another saw.

I'll try to conjure up a plan.

Your list of saws is very impressive. All those even numbers have my left eye twitching hard. Would have to have a giant redwood fall in my yard to convince her that we just have to get another saw.

I'll try to conjure up a plan.
I've been in the tree business since 96' and have a brother who's owned a tree company for over 20yrs so I'm pretty lucky to have access to lots of toys.

We had some fallen trees last year, and my saw wasn't up to task. Borrowed my neighbor's 18" 290 and fell in love. The 291 C-BEQ was a pretty tough sell to the mrs., but I outlined all the safety features and pitched it as a saw she could also use. God, am I terrible. I even pictured myself buying her a bowling ball with my name on it. Naw, she's cool. We just have a lot of improvements to make on our new hobby farm. Removing dead trees IS an improvement, I said. Plus, it's good firewood and would help pay for itself over time.
The 291 is made exactly for your demands! It should fullfill your needs without a doubt. Personally I would have bought other saws, but still you got a high quality product. So work on those sharpening skills and you will be happy!

Back