Echos limited lean on low speed screw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMay

Enthusiast (all saws}
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on a neighbors 490. He said wasn’t running right. Low and behold, fuel tank was empty. Added some VP 40:1 and it started right up. I did notice a some throttle hesitation / fuel starvation coming off idle. The limiter caps are still on this saw. H and L screws both turned out to the max. I don’t want to remove the limiters without getting the owner’s permission and without good reason to do so. In general, are Echo carb screws factory limited to be lean?

I have a 501 and a 620.. The 501 does 4 stroke , but not much and idle is fine.. The 620 screws are out as far as they go and on idle it will barely run until it warms up . I should take the caps off , but have not yet. I know the L on the 620 is too lean.

Owner said to do what is needed to make it run better. Mind you, that was after I told him about the empty fuel tank. A very small pick with a sharp, curved tip worked well to pry the limiter caps off. Ended up turning both screws out to get good crisp throttle response. L was opened about 1/4 and H was opened about 1/8 of a turn.

Yup.. That about sums it up in a hundred words or less. Echo tunes them to get past C.A.R.B. emission limits.. Then sets the limiter caps to ensure "plausible deniability" , in the event of a warrantee claim, they can deny the claim as the unit will show fuel starvation. They'll blame the claim denial on fuel used, not using fresh fuel, not using stabilizer, not using "their" oil. But, that's not really their fault,, They, like all other manufacturers, are at the mercy of Government regulations. Government says that you can't let the owner tune their own saw.. But they expect the manufacturer to suck up warrantee claims. WTF?
If you get an even small amount of (Ethanol related) build up on the jets, and then you can't dial in a decent tune. You're also running way lean. 'effin nanny state.
Personally, I always tune so that the saw will idle for over a minute, before starting to load up. I know that the slightly rich mixture will give a bit more grunt as it transitions to the high speed jet.
Not to start a "flame war", but that's one of the reasons that I always put a couple of "glugs" of SeaFoam into my Ethanol free Premium fuel mix. If it stops any tarnish from forming on the jets, it's worth it. But then again, I own a few Echos' and not one of them still has the factory limiter caps on it. Keeping the fuel immaculate has also resulted in a "tune it and forget it" philosophy.

My hacked on 490 they are removed. But ya ask owner.

My 590 was so lean from factory I got in it was starting to score after 6 months from new from past owner. They both got pulled.

99 out of a 100 tell me ya remove limiter and tune it right. They love it when tried before leaving

I had one guy with a echo 301 though that said no leave it with the hesitation that I am used to it. That hurt me to send that saw back out like that. Just needed a we bit more L is all.

Don't think I've ever asked about pulling limiter caps, and I've never once had a complaint for doing so. It's nothing that wasn't common practice before limiter caps became a regular thing.

Latest posts

Back