stihl ms311 spark plug hole

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grogetr sawguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A friend has a ms311 that spit the spark plug out and stripped the threads out. Can the hole have a helicoil put in it? Has anyone done this before and is it much trouble? Thanks

Just a note to anyone doing a insert job, it only takes a short insert on a chainsaw cylinder, the inserts come in differing lengths so just size them lengthwise to the depth of the sparkplug being used. I have come across two cylinders now where the insert used was too long and the piston was hitting them.

For a one time deal you have gone the best route, the kits are expensive and overkill if one is not doing these repairs often. I cringe to think of how much I have tied up in kits and install tools.

I bought the Save A Thread kit and did four so far. Had to buy another pack of shortys.[emoji108]

Now on loan to another member. [emoji106]

I bought the Save A Thread kit and did four so far. Had to buy another pack of shortys.[emoji108]

Now on loan to another member. [emoji106]

Bought my first kit back in the 90`s to do sparkplug threads in aluminum head car engines, just spread and multiplied from there and of course into chainsaws and outboards. Kits for M 4,5 6 , 1/8, 1/4, 3/16"and 3/8"in multiple makers product.

I find all of the cylinder makes easy enough to do the inserts on, hardest one yet was an IEL HM as the plug goes in side on making combustion chamber roof a problem for the threader.

I have the kit and have put at least five in the last couple of years. I have had good luck with all of them, but one. The main thing is to set the insert after it is in with the expanding tool and to either put Yamabond or JB weld on the threads gas/air pressure can come through the threads and lower compression. The one I had problems with was a Remington 5520 as the cylinder was made in Taiwan and the threads were so soft when trying to set the insert it stripped them again. A POS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Helicoil-5...gkAAMXQLs5Rxb-a:sc:USPSFirstClass!24281!US!-1

I have the kit and have put at least five in the last couple of years. I have had good luck with all of them, but one. The main thing is to set the insert after it is in with the expanding tool and to either put Yamabond or JB weld on the threads gas/air pressure can come through the threads and lower compression. The one I had problems with was a Remington 5520 as the cylinder was made in Taiwan and the threads were so soft when trying to set the insert it stripped them again. A POS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Helicoil-5...gkAAMXQLs5Rxb-a:sc:USPSFirstClass!24281!US!-1

I always seal the inserts in, had no leaks thus far. That looks like a good simple kit to use and priced much lower than any kit I have used to date, thanks for the link.

Back