Stihl USG hdge attachment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
Reaction score
Have any of you guys used the hedge trimmer attachment on the USG? Just curious as to how it does.

I've used one...twice...it works ok but I thought it was a pain in the arse...I'm faster at clamping them with a vise and a homemade jig using a die grinder with a sanding disc attatched...eyeball the angle

Yes JJ, I was wondering about the hedge blade fixture for the USG grinder. I have had several folks come by wanting hedger blades sharpened. Free hand takes a long time, and usually they can nearly buy new blades for the price of my time to sharpen.

what do you generally charge to sharpen, say a double sided set...18" and do you charge differently if you have to remove the blades from the machine or if they are brought in already removed?

We have no set rate (yet,) which is why I am starting this discussion. The Echo HC-150/1500 blades can be bought for less than $30 a set RETAIL!, and there are very affordable aftermarket ones for the Stihl units. Heck, even the OEM ones are not that expensive for Stihl. We charge $65/hour at the shop and until now it has been straight time to sharpen. I am trying to get something set up here so we can set a price on hedge stuff (plus my own 3 sets are needing love....) I have not sharpened a set ever. There is one guy at the shop who has been doing it with a Dremel, and that is a joke. I WILL be getting a more substantial grinder this summer and it will probably be a USG. Just curious if the hedger deal will make me want to order it up sooner.

Great, now I'll need to order up a bunch of gearbox gaskets for the different hedgers. Yay.

BTW, I am thinking of charging $1 per inch on hedge blades (double cut) and $5 removal/installation charge plus gasket. What do you charge?

60 bucks...hours labor regardless, hedge trimmer blades are a pain...most new blade sets can be had for about 90 bucks so its tuff to charge much more without the customer thinkin your just tryna sell em new...during the summer months when were busy i send em out to a guy that sharpens stuff for a living, he does em for 30 all day then i charge 60...win win...gear box gaskets get reused.

Maybe straight time is in order then. I'll do a little more research.

You are supposed to be talking me into the USG and fixture......

...You are supposed to be talking me into the USG and fixture......

sorry to stray...whats the cost of it? i dont remember, we keep an extra grinder with the attachment already on and ready to go...but like i said, anymore they get done with a die grinder with a sanding disc, i think its a little faster.

Latest posts

Back