Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Weird question... I have three helmets in my truck with me. I have two stihl hard hats with face shields/ ear muffs. I also have a kask climbing helmet with muffs I just bought that I love. I like to carry all three in my truck. The two Stihl helmets get used pretty often when I am grinding stumps or chipping brush (or when I am chipping brush and someone else is helping me). I created a helmet holder similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/over-seat-rack-truck-mount/dp/b008h36o0c to hold both helmets but it isn't all that effective.

I was wondering what everyone else does to store their helmets. I can't stand them rolling all over the back seat of my truck and inside the cab.

Tool box, behind the seat, in the feed tray, pretty much anywhere they'll fit. Try not to store them in full sun, sunlight degrades the plastic iirc

Sunlight does degrade the plastic...defiantly inspect for that regularly. If it is no longer glossy, most likely time to replace.

I keep my climbing hat in a Rope Boss bag with rope, lanyard, harness, throw lines and weights.

I keep the forestry helmet (face shield/ear muffs) on a head rest rack. Two other "regular" hard hats are packed behind the seats among other gear bags. If they are not put away well, the do tend to roll around... I don't get too excited about those because that are only $10-15 to replace if I don't treat it well...the others are a lot more! (I haven't broken one yet though... so I guess I am doing OK...I have broken the mask and muff mounts on a few forestry helmets, so that is why it gets its own spot is is treated better at storage.)

We hung up a cheap gun rack in the back window of the bucket truck to hang hard hats on.

lets them breathe a little and dry at the end of the day (yuck)

not sure if you could hang chin-strap type helmets BUT it works for the bigger ones........

You can buy a suction cup rack that mounts to your cab window. I think Grainger or McMaster Carr sells it.

If Old Soul is driving I just keep mine on my head.
The more expensive the helmet the better treatment. My protos goes into its own bag and placed on the seat next to me. If we're riding three deep in the cab someone gets the privledge of holding it.

Nobody:
Who is asking you to NOT to wear a seat belt?
Who is asking you to NOT tie in twice?
Who is asking you to NOT inspect your rope?
etc...

You can't tell me that every tree crew regularly inspects and replaces their helmets any more than they all do the three things I mentioned above.

Just a safety reminder. Not everybody knows that the loss of gloss means the helmet needs replaced either. Another tip: try bending the helmet a little by pushing the ends together with your hands. Not really hard, you aren't trying to break the helmet...just checking to see if there are any cracks and making sure it springs back as it should.

A little off topic but... It's not a good idea to put those cool sticks on your helmet. You won't know if it is cracked underneath them.

First time this has happened to me.

Just the other day I was cutting up some firewood and sat my helmet aside as I took a break.

A damn bird pecked and destroyed the plastic pad that is a part of the hearing protection surround.

Nobody:
Who is asking you to NOT to wear a seat belt?
Who is asking you to NOT tie in twice?
Who is asking you to NOT inspect your rope?
We clearly misunderstood each other.
Your misuse of the word "defiantly" left me with a different understanding than the intended meaning. My mistake.

Oops! I didn't even see that when you quoted. Definitely. Not defiantly. (it won't let me edit any longer)

Without a doubt you should disobey any orders to NOT inspect your helmet :laugh:

Ha-ha, agreed! It's most defiantly [ ;) ] a good idea to inspect your helmet daily. Especially if it's just "thrown in" with gear. I've crushed ones with logs that I've "just thrown in the back" for "just a second."

Back