Stripping down Stihl MS180??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthepunk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, wanted to know the quickest way to strip down an MS180. I wanna take a look in the jug as the compression seems very low. Is there anything I need to watch for or avoid as I pull her apart? I've searched other threads and seen issues with weak rods and pistons! Do you need to remove the flywheel and clutch to get inside? Thanks for any help!

Paul, have you checked with a tester or does it just not feel right? Taking off the muffler and looking at the piston will give a good indication if its been run with neat fuel.
I strpped mine last week. Clamshell design. Take the clutch side off, remove bar and chain.
Remove sprocket, and feed some rope into the spark plug hole. Undoo the clutch clockwise(opposite thread)
Take flywheel cover off.
Pop all the caps off the handle AV and prise them off with a screwdriver. Remove handle.
Undo the two nuts at the back of the filter housing and remove. Disconnect The carb and slip off.
Underneath there will be four Torx bolt to undoo.Push the intake rubber through the plastic bulkhead. The clamshell engine should come away now.
Four bolts will drop the bottom half so that the crankshaft can drop away with the piston.
At this point check for scoring of piston and jug. Replace rings if everything else looks ok.
Dont think i`ve missed anything but i`m on my fourth Magners. Hope this helps.
Cheers Andy.

pull off the top, the carb, and the muffler, take out the four bolt on thte bottom of the saw. then the jug should be loose. stuff the intake boot through the hole it fits in in the partition between the carb and the engine. it then comes right off.

you should be able to see all you need through the exhaust port though...

Thanks both of you, can't wait to have a look. I've looked up the exhaust port but there seems to be only very light marks in the barrel. There is just very little compression compared with my other 180, maybe the rings are shot?

I recommend that you do not use a piston stop of any kind. The 180 piston and rod are too weak. First remove the flywheel nut with an impact wrench. Once the flywheel is off, remove the clutch with an impact wrench. You have to remove the flywheel first because of the aluminum key cast into the flywheel itself. Some will likely tell my I'm crazy, but I honestly feel this is the safest way to work on these.

I recommend that you do not use a piston stop of any kind. The 180 piston and rod are too weak. First remove the flywheel nut with an impact wrench. Once the flywheel is off, remove the clutch with an impact wrench. You have to remove the flywheel first because of the aluminum key cast into the flywheel itself. Some will likely tell my I'm crazy, but I honestly feel this is the safest way to work on these.

You know I agree with you, but you have to detail on how to remove the flywheel.

I hope I don't offend you with this, but I've been told many times by authorized Stihl repair men employed and retired, to NEVER use an impact on these flywheels as they could very easily destroy the key or break. I find it best to use some paracord in the cylinder or pull-start rope as they don't take much torque to break loose. Also, the flywheel does not need to be pulled, a GENTLE tap with a ball peen hammer will pop it right off, or some gentle prying with a flat-head screwdriver can pop it loose as well (this is what I typically do).

Rope in a 180 is likely to result in this. That's exactly how this happened. If using a piston stop, only use the one specified by Stihl. It will put the piston in the correct position to prevent this.

IMG_0870-L.jpg

Back