Stump Grinder - Buy One or Hire One?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fellas -

Looks like I'll have 10-15 trees to take out on my property. Nothing too big, but each one will have a stump, of course.

What's my best bet for stump removal? Hire it out at several hundred per stump? Or rent a small backhoe or Bobcat and do it myself?

Thanks,

Scott

Fellas -

Looks like I'll have 10-15 trees to take out on my property. Nothing too big, but each one will have a stump, of course.

What's my best bet for stump removal? Hire it out at several hundred per stump? Or rent a small backhoe or Bobcat and do it myself?

Thanks,

Scott
How big are they? Probably best to hire a professional either way. Cheaper and safer.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Probably a lot cheaper than you think, get a quote. Really consider what you plan on doing with the stump before you dig it up with a backhoe. Can't count the times that customers called and said, "Well, got all of the stumps dug up for ya, just need you to remove them." Dump fees and logistics to get them to the dump are always going to be more that grinding.

Bobcat isn't going to easily dig out 24" stumps. Ideally I'd use a large exacavator, like a 330 or 400, but smaller would work, just take longer.

I could not hire a stump grinder in my area for the rates in this thread.
In the DC metro area they charge by the inch, usually twice the above ground stump diameter. Cost me $450 for 3 20" stumps.

My property slopes which requires a self propelled machine. Local company rents one for $350/day plus delivery, etc. Not so sure a day would be enough as a DIY project.

Since I started this thread a few months ago, I ended up renting a larger skid steer. Used it mostly to tear out a lot of concrete, but also got after some of the stumps.

Still have a few dozen stumps to go, but most are smaller -- small trees and large shrubs. I'll dig some out by hand, the larger/more difficult ones I plan to use a combination of winch + axe + pick + shovel. I expect to have 3 or 4 left that I'll either rent a grinder for or cut flush and treat with something that will break it down some.

I could not hire a stump grinder in my area for the rates in this thread.
In the DC metro area they charge by the inch, usually twice the above ground stump diameter. Cost me $450 for 3 20" stumps.

My property slopes which requires a self propelled machine. Local company rents one for $350/day plus delivery, etc. Not so sure a day would be enough as a DIY project.
3.00 an inch here

Back