Stump grinder teeth re-sharp arbor for angle grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TFPace

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a Vermeer 672 and still use their factory teeth.
There is a video on YouTube that shows a guy using an angle grinder with a green silicon carbide 6" wheel to sharpen his teeth.

Has anyone made this arbor?

Here's my thoughts...

1. determine arbor size for grinder to be used ... mine is 5/8-11 thread
  2. size of bar stock. I have some 1.75 or 2.00 1018 round stock
  3. drill & tap hole for 5/8-11 thread
  4. turn down bar to proper diameter for wheel. 1.00" for the wheel I have found.
  5. drill and tap both hole for retaining washer and bolt
  6. mount to angle grinder and dress some badly worn teeth.
The video show the guy grinding teeth without any fan blowing teeth dust away from the work area.

The dust from carbide is a known carcinogen.

Anyway, I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has made an arbor for this purpose.
The guy said he used a variable speed angle grinder. Kawasaki was the brand.

Thanks,

Tom

I have used a variable speed 3/8th drill to sharpen my teeth. I use a 1 inch diameter hard rubber or similar product. Drill a 1/4 inch hole through center, long ways. Using a 3 inch 1/4 X 20 bolt, I cut some extra threads enough to put a 1/4 x 20 nut to the end of the threads, add a thick flat washer, add 1 inch diameter rubber. Than add another flat washer, lock washer and nut. I than cut off the head of the bold leaving the smooth part of the bold to chuck up into the drill. Slide the green wheel with the 1 inch center hole over the rubber. as you tighten up the nut the rubber expands against the inner surface of the green wheel holding it very well. I just made another one of these arbors the other day as I have been tasked with helping a friend with his stump grinding. I used this method years ago and thanks to the KISS principal it works very well. By the way I use this method using 6 in green wheels.

Latest posts

Back