"Sucker on the phone, boss..."

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wife'nHubby

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Did you ever feel you are 'being taken' before you even do anything??? I just got off the phone with a stove company, asking about cleaning/inspecting/installing a wood stove on our fireplace hearth. First of all he's trying to talk me into keeping the fireplace and installing fitted glass doors and a blower system (not going to happen). Then he tells me just relining our chimney would be in the $2,200 - $2,600 range and stove installation would be an additional charge. :jawdrop:

One other little tidbit: They won't install the stove we already have which is currently sitting in our garage. Looks like I might be on the roof doing my own install! :)

We did decent last year just using the fireplace with a heatilator type of set up but I was so hoping to get this stove installed for this season. :(

Time to go back to the drawing board.....

Shari

Last edited:
Did you ever feel you are 'being taken' before you even do anything??? I just got off the phone with a stove company, asking about cleaning/inspecting/installing a wood stove on our fireplace hearth. First of all he's trying to talk me into keeping the fireplace and installing fitted glass doors and a blower system (not going to happen). Then he tells me just relining our chimney would be in the $2,200 - $2,600 range and stove installation would be an additional charge. :jawdrop:

One other little tidbit: They won't install the stove we already have which is currently sitting in our garage. Looks like I might be on the roof doing my own install! :)

Call someone else.

You will want to call your insurance company to see if your coverage will be affected if you install everything yourself. This is a issue in my area.

Call someone else.

You will want to call your insurance company to see if your coverage will be affected if you install everything yourself. This is a issue in my area.

Already did that - no problem as long as it passes all local codes but thanks for pointing that out as different ins. companies do have different criteria.

Shari

I would call around for sure...How tall is your chimney?...When you say reline your chimney are you talking stainless liner?...

I am guessing chimney is around 16'. Fireplace is centrally located so I haven't decided yet whether it needs to be insulated. The flue is about 9"x12" with no problems that I know of (chimney cleaning by a pro will answer this question). We will have to remove part of our damper to get the relining in place. I've been looking at the flexible liner because we have to go around the smoke shelf.

Shari

Reliners for a 24 foot flue normally run around 500$.
Installing your new stove is not a big job. Just follow the directions and obey your local heating codes.

Reliners for a 24 foot flue normally run around 500$.
Installing your new stove is not a big job. Just follow the directions and obey your local heating codes.

CK,

Yeah, I know that and that's why I said "Sucker on the phone.....". Insulating it will cost a bit more so I figure around $1,000 for total w/connections/caps for roof/insulation, etc. So, for $1,000 in parts this first company is looking at around $1,600 labor for less than 8 hrs. work.

I guess I have to get over my fear of heights... (there's a family story about that... it's funny years later but wasn't at the time!)

Shari

I am not a fan of insulation on an interior chimney for the fact that the brick will hold a boat load of heat just from the overflow off of the liner...I burn 24/7 in the winter months so I never really give the flue a chance to cool...Just my 2 cents on insulation...

Man Shari I wish I lived closer to you. Id be there in a minute helping put that woodburner in. Wife may get a little jealous if I drove all the way there just to help you. :dizzy:

Man Shari I wish I lived closer to you. Id be there in a minute helping put that woodburner in. Wife may get a little jealous if I drove all the way there just to help you. :dizzy:

No need to be jealous! I'm OLD! :)

Example: I just posted an ad on Craig's List looking for a 7' ladder saying something like "The older I get the shorter I get. Six foot ladder isn't tall enough anymore. Anyone got a 7' one sitting around?" :)

Shari

No need to be jealous! I'm OLD! :)

Example: I just posted an ad on Craig's List looking for a 7' ladder saying something like "The older I get the shorter I get. Six foot ladder isn't tall enough anymore. Anyone got a 7' one sitting around?" :)

Shari

Well, you can have the 8' one I modified today by running over it. The curves in the side rail pretty much match my back now.

Harry K

I am not a fan of insulation on an interior chimney for the fact that the brick will hold a boat load of heat just from the overflow off of the liner...I burn 24/7 in the winter months so I never really give the flue a chance to cool...Just my 2 cents on insulation...

Liners will not meet UL 1777 code without the 1/2" insulation, so be safe and install the insulation. Also an insulated liner will stay warmer , draft better and will have less problems with creosote buildup especially in very cold weather and during start up. You're always better off insulating a liner if you have the space to do so.

Last edited:
Back