Sunset Willow Climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiecutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was able to get out in the old willow behind grandma's house just after Thanksgiving. The sun made for some nice colors.

Thanks to Moss for his book suggestions! I was able to learn the dDrt setup pretty well and was able to show my sister and cousin how to do it also.

The pictures are taken to increase dramatic effect, I would never put my sister in a position that could harm her. we had a ladder close by and a 2nd rope set up had the need to help her out arose. She has been rock climbing quite a bit, and the technique was easy for her to understand. And a note about the power lines, we made sure they were plenty far away so that no issues would arise.

We had a great time!

4141836457_413ba4b347_o.jpg

4142594526_6c4c13c529.jpg

4141842801_77ea481d0f.jpg

4141845805_3ef34ac31f.jpg

4142603360_651eb77c6b.jpg

4142605226_b909d86ccc_o.jpg

Thanks! I'm glad you like them. I can always count on a sunset to make up for my lack of photographing skills. It was a very nice evening.

There is now a good amount of snow on the ground here, I'm hoping to get some nice reflective colors on the next climb. I'm counting on some pics to come..

Looks good man, careful on those willows though.

I was thinking the same thing before rigging things up. I wondered how sturdy it would be but after some pretty good bounce tests it held strong. I wasn't going to put my sister up on it, but she had been waiting her turn for a little bit and when I told her I think we're rapping it up she pushed me out of the way saying, "I weigh like 60 lbs, its fine" she went over and rigged it up herself, she is 12.

Its a good reminder though.

I was thinking the same thing, willow is like cottonwood, climbable but go with fat branches and set the rope at the trunk and limb union.

Looks like you're having some good climbs. Backyard trees are a great place to work on the basics.
-moss

I was thinking the same thing, willow is like cottonwood, climbable but go with fat branches and set the rope at the trunk and limb union.

Looks like you're having some good climbs. Backyard trees are a great place to work on the basics.
-moss

So far I'm just a back yard climber. Still making sure I have things down pat. I've been look around to find a tree that would be good to practice a multi pitch climb close to the ground, but the search continue.

Enjoying myself nonetheless!

So far I'm just a back yard climber. Still making sure I have things down pat. I've been look around to find a tree that would be good to practice a multi pitch climb close to the ground, but the search continue.

Enjoying myself nonetheless![/QUOTE

You can always do a multi-pitch on your willow, the concepts are the same whether you're on a short tree or a tall tree.
-moss

You can always do a multi-pitch on your willow, the concepts are the same whether you're on a short tree or a tall tree.
-moss

I've found what I think to be a good route for a multi pitch on it I think I'll give it a try. Its still relatively low to the ground. Just wanted to make sure I know what I'm doing before getting too high.

Nice Pics!

I found a super nice black willow yesterday, while christmas tree hunting. its about 65-70' which is bout as high as they come here... *sigh*

but anyway it was the straightest willow i had ever seen. very plumb, one central leader, straight up. will be climbing her very very soon lol.

Back