June 16,1986

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
Off topic I know,but I thought I would share a very big moment in my life that I observe each and every year.The day that I came within inches of killing my best friend/cousin.

It was June 16,1986 and the entire family had gathered to celebrate my grandmothers birthday.In honor of the special occasion,I had dragged along the full scale cannon that I had built in High School shop class.Yeah, I know what you are thinking,cannons in shop class?But Mr.Carson always figured that busy hands were learning hands, and he didnt care what we built as long as it was built right.Shoot,I even restored a German made WW2 machine gun to working order in that shop class.Okay,back to the story.

My uncles place had a lot of acreage,and we enjoyed firing the cannon.One pound of black powder and a lead sash weight was our preferred choice of ammo.As we headed out to the pasture to load the gun for grandmas salute,I realized that I had forgotten the fuses in the truck so Scott went ahead to the cannon parked out back.
When I got out to the gun,nobody was around,so I decided to load the gun by myself.One pound of black powder followed by one five pound lead weight were shoved down the barrel followed by a fuse shoved in the fuse hole.We were all ready for the gun salute.
I went back into the house to gather the family on the back porch for the firing,we had selected as our target a old truck hood leaning against a fence post a hundred yards out in the pasture.As was our custom,we each drew straws to see who got to ride on the gun when it fired.We would stand on the hitch and when the gun fired you were treated to a jarring ride backwards,sometimes as far as fifty feet or so.More times than not you fell off,but hey,we were kids right?
Scott drew the shortest straw,then followed a short scuffle among my cousins.As it turned out Scott had cheated by palming his own short straw and switched it out for the one he drew,and I decided at the last minute to cancel the ride.No better way to shut up a whole crowd of screaming kids than to take away the candy right?

It was getting close to dusk when I struck the match that would change my life forever.As the fuse burned its way down to the touch hole I casually sauntered back to the family excitedly awaiting the display of noise and flames.I had heard the old gal bark a million times already,one more firing was nothing new to me.I was already thinking about the oil leak in the truck,the strange noise that needed investigating from the tractor,and the curvy little neighbor gal that had caught my attention earlier that afternoon.
As the fire finally reached the powder,old betsy erupted with a noise that I had never heard before.As I spun around in shock,I was treated to the sight of that gun rearing back on her carraige and flopping right on her back.Pieces of carraige lay in the yard, and as the smoke cleared I realized that the entire rear of the gun was gone.
As it had turned out,when scott got to the gun he loaded it with its usual charge.Or so he thought.Taking a new can from the ammo box he didnt realize that I bought my powder in five lb cans and then broke them down into one pound cans to be used for each shot.What he really poured down the barrel was a five pound can,followed by one lead weight.To make matters worse,after I didnt show up,he went looking for me in the house,allowing me enough time to load the gun again.One charge on top of the previous weight followed by my own lead weight.
A month later my uncle found the breech of the gun.It had richoted up through the eaves of his shop fifty yards away, and up through the roof.He found the missing pieces laying innocently on the roof near the hole.

To this day I call my cousin on this day and we chat about small things, but eventually get back to why my guardian angel looks like Bill the Cat,hence my avatar.Life sure has its twists and turns,but I know in my heart that I have a guardian angel looking after me who has to work over time.Its been rare that I have ever endangered someone elses life,but I know that I would have never been able to live with myself if I had killed my cousin on my grandmothers birthday.

Here is the last picture taken of the old gal before she went to her place on the scrap heap

attachment.php

As one who also had a close call with an explosive device, I feel ya brother. I also remember the date but still can't elaborate.
Nice story.

That picture is a classic! :clap:

Looking back on it, I'm very happy to have gotten through my young-and-stupid days with all my limbs and that none of my friends and family was seriously hurt, especially when playing with explosives. Now my goal is to limit the damage during my old-and-stupid days.

Last edited:
Wow what a story! Sure glad no one got hurt.

"my guardian angel looks like Bill the Cat" Hmm. I think I can understand how you could have let an event like this happen!

my picture is a band called Govt Mule. my favorite song is called Rocking Horse The song starts with the Line

"My guardian Angel wears a hard hat ! or I wouldnt be standing here today "

the line seems so fitting sometimes !!!!
Im glad your cuz is OK
MD

Nope,wish I had in some ways.Back then there was no such thing as digital cameras or cell phone cameras.In fact, the only one that had a camera in my family was my mom,and she wasnt too much into documenting near tragedy.The picture that I posted is the only one that I have of that cannon,it was taken only a week before she went to her grave on the scrap pile.Mom refused to let me repair the thing,convinced that it would never be safe again.She was probably the wiser of the two of us in that regard.

we built one similar...but, no wheels like that.

man, when that thing fired, windows rattled. we always just fired black powder, but one year we aimed it towards the woods and put some metal in it and lit it.....all we saw was leaves flying off the trees.

imagine when they used to throw a large metal ball out of those things at a charging army.....ouch.

No it is a Hern casting with a steel sleeve in it. I have some videos that I have taken but I haven't uploaded them anywhere. I am really just getting used to it since my wife got it for me for my birthday a while back. I do love that women.

Are/were those cannon rifled or smoothe bore?

One of the HUGE jumps in technology (and what helped the Union to defeat the Confederates) in the 1860s was the advent of rifled cannon barrels - much better distance & accuracy.

And blowin' up stuff is only cool when no-one gets hurt AND it's your stuff to destroy...:greenchainsaw:

Here's a few of mine, being fired on the 4th of july, 4 years ago. I've built over 15 smaller ones (1 inch bores) The big one is a 3 incher. I used half pound of ffff black powder or pirodex +p pistol powder and three pounds of shot. The big one got it's fuse hole / muzzle welded shut, and is a lawn ornament now. It was shot so much it started to show some stress cracking. Time to retire it, or end-up in a situation like yours.:dizzy:
As far as rifling, I was told that would make it illegal. dunno??

Back