Technical Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
How many cubic feet of ozygen would an idling Stihl 015L consume in 4.48 minutes, when it was left running in a 25 cu/ft. refigerator? RR & JL tried this at the barage and the saw died out in 4.48 minutes due to asphixiation and C02 inhalation.
I was just wondering what the formulae is. There will be pictures to follow. We also used the 051L as a makeshift smoker, leaving it running in the fridge with various game meats. We used virgin olive oil as the mix and nav gas in the motor. The smoked salmon was delicious and had a distinct taste that was quite toothsome to the palate.
John

It would probably run a bit longer if you were in there with it to tickle the throttle a little.&nbsp; I doubt it would deplete all of the air before dying as it would get too rich to idle correctly.&nbsp; Perhaps you'd have to adjust the carb a little too while you monitored it.&nbsp; If you can't hold your breath long enough then you'd have to allow for the air you were using too, not to mention the amount that you displace simply by being in there.&nbsp; Let's see now, I <i>think</i> I've got notes from last time laying around here somewhere...

What about the relative humidity in the refrigerator? Ambient temperature?

Why would you put the salmon in the fridge to smoke it? To warm it up? Last picture I saw your thermometer showed 25* in your living room.

Originally posted by treeclimber165
Why would you put the salmon in the fridge to smoke it? To warm it up? Last picture I saw your thermometer showed 25* in your living room.

25C being a very respectable indoor temperature here in metric Canada. Or are you telling us his house is a fridge? All that wood and no heat....somehow I doubt that.

It is the most basic measurement, it is called a New York minute/
light year, but beavergirl knows the exact formulae!

Lambert and I already put the figures in the saw porting and Jet settings of the carb. in a 25 cubic foot fridge the saw ran 4:48:05 before it died out out. I would post a pic of it but lambert has the disc but does'nt have a computer right now, Seems he gambled all his money out here in Washington with a 1-way ticket and a floppy. But as always I am sure the pic will show up sooner or later.

Gypo,

If you left a Stihl idling in a refrigerator, you would produce CO (carbon monoxide) rather than CO2 (carbon dioxide) that is used in fire extinguishers which would displace the oxygen immediately. Since 16 to 21 percent oxygen in air is required to sustain combustion, the engine would stop. I hope you don’t put your saw in my refrigerator when you come to visit in March.

Art

You know, I'm simultaneously finding the explanations for both Canadian humor and Gypo's "Why don't we stay on topic" question in this thread.

Originally posted by Fish
...beavergirl knows the exact formulae!

Fish, you really shouldn't go on this way. While I'm at a loss to explain why since day one, you have been inexplicably drawn to me, I am sincerely flattered regardless of your inspiration. Someone must caution you, and it pains me greatly to be the messenger, however, you're acting quite irresponsibly with your heart. I fully understand how saying this in front of all your friends might sting strongly, but it must be done. People meet, fall in love, and even marry from introductions on the internet, and although I do believe in the impossible, I just can't see this in our near future. I just don't want you to get hurt. Here's a long distance hug anyway.

As for the technical merits of the question at hand, I should digress and allow the resident physicists on board take over. There was a fascinating discussion over at the commercial tree forums involving how much instantaneous apparent weight would an object of 7-8lbs attain if arrested from a freefall of 48". Wow, and I mean Wow, the math finally equaled 2 advil for myself.

matte' maticas headachious adviliosaurus

But what the hell, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

I'd first have to figure out the concentration of Oxygen in normal air. For our sake we'll discount any variances of atmostpheric pressure. This reminds me, in all the world of internet associations I've seen, DB is the only person besides myself who expresses pressure correctly in terms of psia or psig. Amazing how our minds flit and float from one topic to the next faster than any known measure of speed. Something else to ponder. What is the speed of thought when applied to linear distance, linear in its simplest form, discounting the influences of relativity. Anyway back to the "chainsaw" issue.

I'll assume Art's figure of 16% is the mean lower level of oxygen for combustion. The following link gave me 21% as the normal concentration of 0²,

http://www.doc.mmu.ac.uk/aric/eae/Atmosphere/Older/Atmospheric_Gases.html,

which, in 25cf of air = 5.25cf of O². 16% of 25cf = 4cf.
5.25-4=1.25cf of consumed O².

I'm a little wary of stating 1.25 cu ft as John didn't qualify the meaning of consume. Does consume mean, the alteration of free O² into other compounds or the total absolute volume of O atoms which were moved through the saw right down to the last mole? There would be some recycled O atoms as CO during the amortization of ever decreasing O² from 21% to 16%. The other thing he didn't mention was which shelf was the saw sitting on. This is sooper important. CO weighs more than O² and if the saw was at the bottom of the refer, to my mind it would stall before the 16% lower level was reached. See, this is where the likes of Stumper, dbabcock, Joe, hillbilly, CJ-7, ramanujan, and Jock are necessary.

So now that a good spin has spun. I'll quietly back out of the laboratory so the think tank can commence thier forays into the deepest realm of smoked venison.

C-

Leave it to Beaver,
I took the liberty to copy and paste the dead link. I have tried that link a few times so here it is boys and girls. Play nice.

Atmospheric Gases

There are a number of atmospheric gases which make up air. The main gases are nitrogen and oxygen, which make up 78% and 21% of the volume of air respectively. Oxygen is utilised primarily by animals, including humans, but also to a small degree by plants, in the process of respiration (the metabolism of food products to generate energy).

The remaining 1% of the atmospheric gases is made up of trace gases. These include the noble gases, very inert or unreactive gases, of which the most abundant is argon. Other noble gases include neon, helium, krypton and xenon. Hydrogen is also present in trace quantities in the atmosphere, but because it is so light, over time much of it has escaped Earth's gravitational pull to space.

The remaining trace gases include the greenhouse gases, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, water vapour and ozone, so-called because they are involved in the Earth natural greenhouse effect which keeps the planet warmer than it would be without an atmosphere.

Oxygen

The gas oxygen (O2), composed of molecules of two oxygen atoms, occupies 21% of the Earth's atmosphere by volume. It is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. Oxygen also comprises 86% of the oceans and 60% of the human body, and is the third most abundant element found in the Sun. Almost all plants and animals require oxygen for respiration to maintain life.

Oxygen is very reactive and oxides of most elements are known. A chemical reaction in which an oxide is formed is known as oxidation. The rate at which oxidation occurs varies with the element with which oxygen is reacting. Rust, or iron oxide, for example forms relatively slowly, over days or weeks. Burning or combustion, however, involves a very rapid oxidation. Carbon in fossil fuels, for example, can be quickly oxidised to carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide, with a considerable amount of heat being given off. We can convert this heat into useful energy for heating, electricity and locomotion.

Within the stratosphere, oxygen molecules combine with free oxygen atoms to form ozone (O3). Ozone absorbs ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the Sun, and protects life on Earth from its damaging effect. Although abundant between 19 and 30 km altitude, the air at these levels in the atmosphere is thin. If all the ozone in the stratosphere was compressed to ordinary atmosphere pressure at ground level, it would occupy a layer only 3 mm thick.

People meet, fall in love, and even marry from introductions on the internet, and although I do believe in the impossible, I just can't see this in our near future. I just don't want you to get hurt...............................................she did say "near" future.........i think he has a chance if he's willing to stick it out for the long haul....j/k.................................guff

Candice,

By convention, psig is always assumed whenever the pressure value is not qualified as being either a relative or an absolute reading.&nbsp; In any event, I highly doubt pressure values need be considered in the current scenario.

Glen

I sit awake, alone at night, awaiting anything from my beloved
Beavergirl, I guess I truly have no chance with her.....
Maybe if I started believing in her, she might come around.
At least I still have Dan....
BTW, I never, EVER, assume psig

Back