Tecomec cyl assys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk of the merits/drawbacks of after market cylinder assys., I've had good luck with Tecomec/Precision Tooling.

Here are some pictures of a Tecomec 038M assy., for comparison on the piston, there is a shopworn but new OEM stihl 038S piston side by side (w/rings + pin).

The only bad finish I see on the whole assy is a little bit of rough casting on the nipple that hangs down the top of the intake port (see pic), something that would clean up with some 200 grit and your finger in less than 5 minutes, all the other ports are smooth and clean. The plating and chamfers look as good as OEM Stihl/Mahle.

The rest of the pics next post.......

Thanks for posting those pics. A timely post for me as I'm picking up and 028S project that needs P&C. I have been considering Tecomec. Only issue I have heard is that their pistons are heavier than OEM....hardly anything to complain about.

Thanks for posting those pics. A timely post for me as I'm picking up and 028S project that needs P&C. I have been considering Tecomec. Only issue I have heard is that their pistons are heavier than OEM....hardly anything to complain about.

I've done a couple of 038S to 038M conversions.

I compared the mass (assy w/rings pin) of OEM stihl super and mag vs. tecomec mag.

The tecomec mag was >2g LIGHTER 104.27g than OEM mag 106.67g, about 10g heavier than OEM 038S 94.48g.

They all use the same crank so balance should not be an issue.

I didn't have a good camera to take pics of the OEM jug or the conversion process at the time. But the next one...........

I've done a couple of 038S to 038M conversions.

I compared the mass (assy w/rings pin) of OEM stihl super and mag vs. tecomec mag.

The tecomec mag was >2g LIGHTER 104.27g than OEM mag 106.67g, about 10g heavier than OEM 038S 94.48g.

They all use the same crank so balance should not be an issue.

I didn't have a good camera to take pics of the OEM jug or the conversion process at the time. But the next one...........

Looks like a quality product. What are prices like in comparison to OEM and where can the parts be purchased?

O.K. all You Chi-Com buyers/Lovers.

This is what the Italians used to make....... 038M.

Tecomec/Precision Tooling

precision tooling cyl assy 1.jpg

Have look at the finish, coating, and casting. Note the port chamfers. Those NEED any grinding? Only flaw is some flash at the intake nipple.

intake.jpg This is the exhaust: exhaust.jpg exhaust2.jpg

Here is the piston compared to an OEM 038S (shopworn w/NOS rings)piston comparison.jpg

piston comparison 2.jpg piston comparison 3.jpg

Seen any transfers look like this on Chi-Com stuff?transfers.jpg

Sadly, Tecomec, is no longer made in Italy.

If we keep supporting the Chi-Com copycats you will only be able to buy manure.

I recently bought a tecomec /precision tooling cylinder kit for a stihl 361. It was cheap (about $55-60 if I remember right). The website said made in Italy, but when I got the kit, there was no country of origin on it anywhere. I wondered if something had changed with tecomec and the "made in Italy" part. Didn't look terrible but was not the quality I've seen previously with tecomec top ends I've bought.

I recently bought a tecomec /precision tooling cylinder kit for a stihl 361. It was cheap (about $55-60 if I remember right). The website said made in Italy, but when I got the kit, there was no country of origin on it anywhere. I wondered if something had changed with tecomec and the "made in Italy" part. Didn't look terrible but was not the quality I've seen previously with tecomec top ends I've bought.

Sadly Tecomec has gone far far east. There still may be Italian kits on the shelves, if you need one grab them now.

I talked with the Tilton/total Manager who used to be USA distributor. Don't expect the quality of the past.

So if You Guys still like quality AM parts I'd support Meteor vs Chi-Coms.

Then there is cheaper and needs grinding to fit and/or run well.......but I saved $100!, only spent a week to make it run O.K. , and it's not much better than before it broke down.

So I ask the builders using Chi-Com stuff. Have you yet seen quality like the Italians make?

Pics please.

Latest posts

Back