The LogRover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logrover

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Rather than hijack others threads, which i accidently seem to have done a couple of times, I thought I'd start one myself, just in case anyone wants to discuss my Logrover.

I should explain..... I've a "few" land rovers already, work in an office all week, and then fell a few trees and split some logs for enjoyment on the weekend.

Having rebuilt a few landrovers and rangerovers already, I thought I'd set myself a new challenge. So when I saw an old 1960's Dowty pump to fit an old alnd rover gearbox PTO on Ebay, I bought it and then built a vehicle around it, with the aim of being a dedicated Log related Land Rover. The aim being to present a good engineering challenge, but to end up with a useful vehicle. As its road tax exempt (so old), and runs on half price fuel (lpg), its cheap to own and run and was built using spares and recycled bits so cheap to build as well.

I realise its smaller and slower than a lot of the kit you guys use over there, but it suits my purpose fine, and has proved perfect for getting into the small jobs around my way and splitting on site and bringing a load home each trip.

A few pics here to give an idea, but loads and loads more of it being built and in use on here: http://www.log-rover.co.uk

12-11-06%20051.jpg

yellow%20011.jpg

2nd%20june%202007%20045.jpg

12th%20January%202008%20030.jpg

2nd%20february%202008%20060.jpg

10th%20Feb%2007%20018.jpg

10th%20Feb%2007%20025.jpg

29th%20Oct%202007%204.jpg

they should give you some idea, but visit the website to see the whole story - if you are into that sort of thing....

happy splitting,

neil - in Scotland.

Neil

Awesome setup:clap: You do great work. I like the dune buggy in the back ground too. What size motor cycle engine did you use on it?

Billy

Last edited:
Man that is cool. Not only is that a great purpose built Rover, but that Mog looks like a blast too.

I am planning on putting a PTO pump in my classic to power a winch and the idea crossed my mind to have a few quick disconnect lines avalible to run assesories, mainly a spliter. Great build.

Got any more pictures of the Uni-Mog?

thanks both.

on the Buggy thing - it's still not finished and still sat in the same place in my mates shed - i think it was from a 600cc bike - one day when we have time...

as for the Unimog, that belongs to the same mate. a couple more shots:

little%20and%20large.jpg

we also have another splitter which we tow or "crane" for big jobs :dizzy:
logie2%20057.jpg

handy:
2nd%20february%202008%20079.jpg

but beware, they can crush and landrover wing quite easily...
12th%20January%202008%20037.jpg

LR, I have seen your pics before and must say Im very impressed!

I only wish I had use for something similar so I could build one, but I have tree companys lined up wanting to dump free wood....:cheers:

That's one of the nicest, coolest vehicles I've seen in a looooong time!! I love the old rovers and you sir have an awesome one :clap:

That Mog gives me tingles too :cheers:

Calling "Monster Garage"

That's the coolest splitter I've seen yet! Very nice details, great work!

Nice job!!! Love both of those vehicles. They look real practical. I only see one little design flaw.......the steering wheel was put on the wrong side of the LogRover:) Lolololll

Neil

what a machine, a credit to yourself and an inspiration to a land rover nut like me at 21 and about to leave uni and try and make a way for myself.
read the article in LRO those months ago but its so much better to hear about it from you yourself

I'm about to rebody my 200tdi discovery as a 100inch defender truck cab and am curious about your hydraulic pump. i couldnt see a pto adapter in between transfer case and the pump itself? am i missing it, or is it some pump that mates directly? I shall of course be looking for one for an LT230 so a different case to yours anyway i presume.

all the best

Jim

That's a real nice set-up! Another example of why Land Rovers are called "the World's Most Versatile Vehicle"! I've owned six of them over the years. I still own my first one, Suzy, which I've owned for 36 years. She's a little 2.25 diesel 88 and also I own Kacey, a 2b forward control, which has a centre-mounted pto winch. Both are 1967's. I'll be over y'all's way next month, hiking the Sea-to-Sea Trail. Great photos!

Hey LR, nice set up gotta love the versatility of the Rovers. Side note, I am looking for a set of Goodyear MTR's for my LR3. Unfortunatly, they are unavailable on this side of the pond in the 19 inch rim size I'm stuck with. Curious if they're available over there? There are just no suitable aggressive tyres available in the US. Sad that a vehicle with these capabilities can't find a proper set of shoes.

Neil

what a machine, a credit to yourself and an inspiration to a land rover nut like me at 21 and about to leave uni and try and make a way for myself.
read the article in LRO those months ago but its so much better to hear about it from you yourself

I'm about to rebody my 200tdi discovery as a 100inch defender truck cab and am curious about your hydraulic pump. i couldnt see a pto adapter in between transfer case and the pump itself? am i missing it, or is it some pump that mates directly? I shall of course be looking for one for an LT230 so a different case to yours anyway i presume.

all the best

Jim

Thanks jim, and good luck with your defender project.

The pump I used was a 1960's optional extra for the series landrover made by Dowty and mounts with its own mount to the back of the transfer gearbox. You can see the pump (as found on ebay) and the ex-digger spool block i used (from another mates shed). These were the only bits i had when i started this project, not even the donor land rover...

Pump%20and%20spool%20valves.jpg

and here you can see it fitted with the engagement lever which pops out in the footwell now. I just select neutral in the transfer box, 4th gear in the main box, engage the pump, set the hand throttle to the desired rpm (usually just below 2,000rpm), and it pumps away for hours... You can also see the micro switch fitted on the rear of the pump as well which i use to show a light on the dash (so i remember when the pump is engaged) and for driving an hour meter, so i can see how many pump-hours i have (80'ish so far).
gearboxes%20and%20hydraulic%20pump%20fitted.jpg

RipRap - yes they are indeed versatile, and somehow strangely addictive - one is never enough :)

Cunrya - sorry i'm not up to speed on LR3 or availability of suitable tyres, all my vehicles are about 30 years older than that and i'm not long out of crossplies :)

thanks to the others for the feedback as well.

cheers,

neil.

Outstanding job Neil! Very very cool. Makes me yearn for a fab shop! Excellent restoration too.
:cheers:

Back