Strimmer repairs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I try to help out people in my local area, farmers mostly and a few retired to the countryisde people from cities as retired now and time on my hands to do things for others to keep me busy and active.

I got two, what i think are Chinese 50cc petrol strimmers to see if i could get themgoing again.
One is 6 years old, the other is only 3 months old.
Both went down on the owner badly, leaking petrol from the tanks and all over, and turns out he has being using E10 and killed them both.

The carbs are leaking all over the place, the petrol pipes are eatan from the inside out, the petrol tanks and pipes have actually been eaten from the inside out also.

I ended up sourcing new engines, complete, with petrol tanks and everything attached.
I also had to swap out one of the front gearbox gearheads, as the owner went to grease it, and the nipple stayed in his grease gun and stripped the thread out of the gearhead.
I do not care how cheap or other end, high quality a 2 or 4 stroke engine/unit are, as I will still repair them and never knock people for buying cheap stuff.

Not everyone knows or understands what is good or bad and often go for what they think is best for them.
These are both big strap on harness double handled strimmers, and very able to do a massive work load on a daily basis.

By the time i sourced new carbs, or kits and petrol tanks, pipes etc, it was expensive, so got complete engine kits instead.
I quick job on both, as only 4 bolts to unbolt, the trottle attachmnet and a couple of wires needing connectors swapped out also.
Entire new engine and all workings back on and back up and running perfectly once more. Bothe complete engine kits, £120 the pair.

The western people, US, Australia and all commonwealth countries do not fully understand E10 petrol is designed to make someone rich, while helping speed up the process of killing off petrol engines on the planet by design.
It is highly corrosive, hydroscopic, and eats rubber, plastic, brass and all sorts of other bits in no time.
It is not petrol, but ether. same as running your vehicle with a few bottles of whiskey. It will get you home, but not good for the engine, and burns leaner and hotter than petrol.

Simple rule, it cannot be used in anything that has a carb, period, but people will argue about this and swear it can, sorry, but no, it is simply not meant for anything with a carb, and even modern vehicles are starting to suffer.
This includes all motorbikes, be warned.

I never put this up to start an argument or debate on E10 petrol, just a post to say why you must not use E10 in anything with a carb attached to the engine, or plastics, rubber pipes etc.
Your choice if you want to disagree with science and facts. But start another thread of your own if you want to debate this.

I am also now suddenly getting powersaws from local farmers to fix, up to 40 years old, but mostly modern saws, and suddenly going down severely, again E10 petrol being used.
My local quad dealer and power plant hire is also suffering with users using E10 in his equipment over this end.

I have two Stihls to fix in the last few days, a MS170 and an MS260, as once more the carbs are gone, the petrol pipes are perished and erratic running, and conking out soon after getting them started.

China and far eastern countries have never heard of E10 petrol, and most engines in the world now come from over that end of the world.

DSC_1459-web.jpgDSC_1460-web.jpgDSC_1461-web.jpgDSC_1462-web.jpg

Back