Stihl BG85/SH85 max RPM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theoldwizard1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So i'm pretty good messing with single cylinder 4 strokes engines and carburetors, but 2 strokes with their diaphragm carburetors makes me pause.

This problem has developed over the past few years and now that it is leaf blown season, it is getting annoying. My Stihl BG85/SH85 will not hold max RPM. At WOT, most of the time it is running below max RPM. If I play with the throttle, I can get it up to max RPM for about 1 second and then it falls back. After 10-20 minutes of use it will rev up to max RPM by itself, but drop back. Kind of like a 4 stroke that has a clogged idle/low speed/primary jet where the governor prevents the engine from stalling. This rev up/fall back is very quick, less than 1 second.

When it falls off of max RPM, it just doesn't sound right.

Typical homeowner use. Fresh E10 (if you are going says switch to ethanol free, save the Internet bandwidth and don't say anything), Stihl synthetic oil (maybe mixed a bit rich, 40-48:1). Starts on the second or third pull every time. It idles well.

As I said, I am nervous about tweaking the carb, because it starts easily and still gets the job done. Start by tweaking the low speed or high speed adjusting screw ?

You need a tach for blowers. Remove the limiter on the high screw, it should just be a black cap that you can pry up on and it will pop right off

Check the spark arrestor screen if you haven’t already and burn it clean with a torch.

Get the blower to full operating temp and lock it WOT. Attach the tach and watch the rpm’s. Turn the high speed screw counterclockwise till it 4 strokes constantly. Then start turning it clockwise slowly until you reach the max rpm’s. Should be somewhere about 7400 or just a bit more.

Turn the screw counterclockwise again until the rpm’s drop by about 150-200 rpm’s. They tend to run perfect at that rpm and no risk of running excessively lean. I ended up with about 1 1/16 turn out on the h screw.

try that and report back how it runs

Latest posts

Back