The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost forgot my new found riches, which one of you clever lucky souls can share with me. When the flagging tape failed to prevent a split on this white oak, it occurred to me that there is a huge market for anti-barber chair flagging tape. Now if one of you can develop for me the proper formulae for super high tensile strength flagging tape, we can make a fortune. I will even lend the rights to market it under the name of my fictitious company - Blind Squirrel Falling.

More kindling. Spigot, table and post still standing.
IMG_2608.JPG

Ron

Almost forgot my new found riches, which one of you clever lucky souls can share with me. When the flagging tape failed to prevent a split on this white oak, it occurred to me that there is a huge market for anti-barber chair flagging tape. Now if one of you can develop for me the proper formulae for super high tensile strength flagging tape, we can make a fortune. I will even lend the rights to market it under the name of my fictitious company - Blind Squirrel Falling.

More kindling. Spigot, table and post still standing.
View attachment 610562

Ron

Yer doing fine, 15 in 2 hours is like 7-8 an hour, that's not to bad with high value targets all around.

If yer on the left coast anytime I'd let ya cut with me. couldn't pay ya but slaying some tall fir would be all fine with me.

NM, besides the blind squirrel component (like the spigot between the forks), management said it was okay if I took out a table, post or spigot - that took the pressure off and allowed me to focus better. No wind and no gawkers - all helped. Ron

While the crew was in town for lunch today, I took advantage of their absence to put a few more on the ground. All required wedges to go where intended.

Another nice red oak.
IMG_2628.JPG

What I am told is a turkey oak. It was a turkey for sure, dulled my chain half into the cut. Of course I left my only other chain for this saw at home. More grinding than cutting. I had to take a breaking while whacking the wedges as I was about to hit my medical limitation. But it felt good to hear the crashes that are usually muffled by the saw and muffs.
IMG_2632.JPG

It was one ugly tree.
IMG_2634.JPG

Also cut a big poplar but no pictures.

Quitting time.
IMG_2650.JPG

Got about ten left to cut; only 4 of any size. Then about 15 pines (Virginia Pine I believe) to cut as a favor. Most 12 to 14" a few 18 to 20". I know nothing about cutting pine. Have only cut a few in my life. Pointers would be appreciated. No improvements to avoid but a lot of save trees.

You know what they say about no good deed goes unpunished. Was tired when I got home so instead of carrying my saws to the basement I drove the truck to the door and unloaded. When leaving I plowed right into a stump - in my own yard! Airbag didn't go off but put my knee in the dash. Felt like a real idiot.
IMG_2673.JPG

Thought of NM today when I was cold cocked by a 3 1/2" branch under tension. No damage just addled me for a few minutes but the thought of what it must feel like to take a punch from NM came to mind. Ron

Thanks. Most are pencil straight with a little lean to overcome. The one that needs the most steering is at a 60* angle and needs about 30* of turn to keep from hanging up in a large save tree. In the past I have felled sideways a couple of storm damaged hardwoods leaning at a steep angle using a rope without incident, but wasn't sure if a pine was up to a side pull.

BTW I didn't mean to imply that I would still be standing if you slugged me, but if I were I am sure I would feel about how I felt today when that limb clobbered me on the side of my face.

Ron

Something we don't see every day down here in the PNW
73eac072d184c4578e4480265328e150.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I mostly see em on the freeway headed south, while i'm headed north, not much chance for a complete inspection.

Seems like all the extra iron would negate that extra axle? but what do I know.
That many axles here isn't that uncommon anymore honestly.

True.

Just seems to be getting ridiculous, 105,500 is max weight with the proper axle set up. But that pretty much means to make that kind of load and still be under 14' 10" your going to need a super train.

So running a truck with a drop axle and being legal for 88,000 seems like a smarter idea to me. Not that I'm going to convince anyone that carrying an extra 4-8 tons on a load is worth the extra $100 a trip being as now you have 8 more tires, brakes, air lines, bearings, wheels, lights, springs, to worry about paying for.

The bigger loads are nice i guess, current self loader jockey is legal to 92,000 and is putting a whole mess of wood on his truck, but charging more, so in the end I'm not making a great deal more per load. ( out of the 6 self loader drivers local to here, one retired, one truck burned up, 2 are busy logging their own ground and or has serious back issues and is driving truck less and less, one splits his time between running poles and hauling logs, one now scales logs full time, there are 2 more but they are busy or crooked, so getting logs hauled is getting difficult, all the others are mostly out of the area or work for a mill or dedicated outfit)

True.

Just seems to be getting ridiculous, 105,500 is max weight with the proper axle set up. But that pretty much means to make that kind of load and still be under 14' 10" your going to need a super train.

So running a truck with a drop axle and being legal for 88,000 seems like a smarter idea to me. Not that I'm going to convince anyone that carrying an extra 4-8 tons on a load is worth the extra $100 a trip being as now you have 8 more tires, brakes, air lines, bearings, wheels, lights, springs, to worry about paying for.

The bigger loads are nice i guess, current self loader jockey is legal to 92,000 and is putting a whole mess of wood on his truck, but charging more, so in the end I'm not making a great deal more per load. ( out of the 6 self loader drivers local to here, one retired, one truck burned up, 2 are busy logging their own ground and or has serious back issues and is driving truck less and less, one splits his time between running poles and hauling logs, one now scales logs full time, there are 2 more but they are busy or crooked, so getting logs hauled is getting difficult, all the others are mostly out of the area or work for a mill or dedicated outfit)
The best way we've found is no drop axles then we don't have spread issues with the axles or reach. I know they're pushing for Oregon and Washington to up the weight limit but if they do that they'll have to up the power line height I know they say 14 and some change but around here it's more like 13' 6" if you're lucky. The guys in the clear cut that have a long distance to haul are about the only guys that need the axles around here thinning it's a pain in the butt getting enough weight in the winter let alone in the summer for pulp.

Most of our local mills are on an island, where the only way in has a low clearance of 14'6" or so, maybe less? There is already a bunch of weebles and woobles in the oncoming girders...

So yeah I don't get it, guess we could cut em longer? And then loose on scale diameter?

Most of our local mills are on an island, where the only way in has a low clearance of 14'6" or so, maybe less? There is already a bunch of weebles and woobles in the oncoming girders...

So yeah I don't get it, guess we could cut em longer? And then loose on scale diameter?
With a drop you need to cut 36' minimum to barely bunk from memory some guys have been running turkey racks to get around the stretch issues.

Back