The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Broke one of my rules today, and damn near paid a healthy fine for it...

Dumped a boat load of cedar, got tired, decided it'd be a good Idea to go run equipment for awhile, per my usual and effective means of production.

But then I went and got all cocky and self sure, and pushed over a gigantic alder, right into my excavator path. no problem retrieve a saw and buck it up.

Except I was tired and not thinking real clear, forgot to check the tensions on a big ole sucker top, ******* thing side chaired on me, swept muh feet out from under me and drug me a good 10' with my foot stuck under it.

As of now I'm pretty sure I'm ok? though I've been eating ibuprofren to keep up with my knees and the headache from welding so we'll see what tomorrow says.

Point is when you think to yourself hey I'm tired and acting kinda dumb because of it, PUT THE SAW AWAY.

Broke one of my rules today, and damn near paid a healthy fine for it...

Dumped a boat load of cedar, got tired, decided it'd be a good Idea to go run equipment for awhile, per my usual and effective means of production.

But then I went and got all cocky and self sure, and pushed over a gigantic alder, right into my excavator path. no problem retrieve a saw and buck it up.

Except I was tired and not thinking real clear, forgot to check the tensions on a big ole sucker top, ******* thing side chaired on me, swept muh feet out from under me and drug me a good 10' with my foot stuck under it.

As of now I'm pretty sure I'm ok? though I've been eating ibuprofren to keep up with my knees and the headache from welding so we'll see what tomorrow says.

Point is when you think to yourself hey I'm tired and acting kinda dumb because of it, PUT THE SAW AWAY.

Power nap northy. When I know I'm too tired to be running saw but I still need production for the day. 20-30 minute snooze in the truck and I'm a new man. Even if I don't really fall asleep it gives my mind and body a rest and a quick boost to handle the rest of the day. Better then coffee that gets you all wired but still tired. Coffee after the nap helps too

Hope you are okay. Saws aren’t the only thing we should put away when we are overly tired. Ron

As of now, I feel a bruise coming in on my right foot, and my knees are sore, but thats not news.

Left foot feels like it would if I hiked 5 miles in Chucks, (like when you're fingers really need cracked or a tight neck?) Which could be just from working all day... There has been a low grade sprain on this side for 20 some odd years now... working it just aggravates it more. Flexing it beyond what it wants to do (about 30% of what would be normal) is just asking to limp for a week, so getting scrubbed by a 35' "limb" is going to be a very uncomfortable week.

Also another rule that I have broken... DON'T break bones... casts, pins, rods, bolts, screws and stitches are only cool for about 24 hours, don't actually work for getting "chicks" are really annoying and itchy for 3 weeks to 6 months, and just lead to a life of limited movement and strange aches.

By tired, what I meant isn't so much a need for sleep, but just simply overworking yourself, cutting a load of cedar in a day and hand limbing and bucking isn't exactly normal, what I should have done is leave the damned alder for monday and a clearer head.

As of now, I feel a bruise coming in on my right foot, and my knees are sore, but thats not news.

Left foot feels like it would if I hiked 5 miles in Chucks, (like when you're fingers really need cracked or a tight neck?) Which could be just from working all day... There has been a low grade sprain on this side for 20 some odd years now... working it just aggravates it more. Flexing it beyond what it wants to do (about 30% of what would be normal) is just asking to limp for a week, so getting scrubbed by a 35' "limb" is going to be a very uncomfortable week.

Also another rule that I have broken... DON'T break bones... casts, pins, rods, bolts, screws and stitches are only cool for about 24 hours, don't actually work for getting "chicks" are really annoying and itchy for 3 weeks to 6 months, and just lead to a life of limited movement and strange aches.

By tired, what I meant isn't so much a need for sleep, but just simply overworking yourself, cutting a load of cedar in a day and hand limbing and bucking isn't exactly normal, what I should have done is leave the damned alder for monday and a clearer head.
Now it's time to stop breaking the rules.. I have a femoral rod right leg, plates, pins and screws left ankle, and according to my wife, S**T for brains.. And I found out over the course of 63 yrs we do not heal up as quickly as we used to. I take it real easy and careful anymore.. My suggestion is for y'all to do the same.

Now it's time to stop breaking the rules.. I have a femoral rod right leg, plates, pins and screws left ankle, and according to my wife, S**T for brains.. And I found out over the course of 63 yrs we do not heal up as quickly as we used to. I take it real easy and careful anymore.. My suggestion is for y'all to do the same.
I have 63 coming up this year. Spent the winter on crutches after aggravating an old hip injury, much better taking the weight off it.

Hope you heal up there Randy. Getting old sucks. And what sucks worse is that no matter how old you are I'm always going to be older. I hit 65 back in January.

I had a 26" tanoak sit down on my bar today. I have taken down more tanoaks than anybody I know but this one still got me. It had a lot of weight up high so I put in a big conventional face and was almost through the backcut. I had a wedge palmed in but I couldn't drive it in with a 5lb axe. Fortunately I had a throw bag and rope, and a rental backhoe. I took almost nothing to pull it over. I was using a barbed wedge so maybe the barbs wouldn't let me drive it further in. The tree had a big fruiting body about 25' up the trunk.

Hope you heal up there Randy. Getting old sucks. And what sucks worse is that no matter how old you are I'm always going to be older. I hit 65 back in January.

I had a 26" tanoak sit down on my bar today. I have taken down more tanoaks than anybody I know but this one still got me. It had a lot of weight up high so I put in a big conventional face and was almost through the backcut. I had a wedge palmed in but I couldn't drive it in with a 5lb axe. Fortunately I had a throw bag and rope, and a rental backhoe. I took almost nothing to pull it over. I was using a barbed wedge so maybe the barbs wouldn't let me drive it further in. The tree had a big fruiting body about 25' up the trunk.

Tan oaks can be evil.

Is the book done yet please?

Not yet, I slipped a cog a while ago and kinda retreated.
The spider has made a couple appearances nagging at me to get with it.
Here is some old ********.

I scouted a big old Redwood snag an old guy wants felled to spite a land developer, who is using it as a selling point, for ticky tacky houses. The tree is big and uglysome. It taped out at 12 feet in dia at 15 feet up stump, looks like 175-225 feet tall, depending on which side of bluff you are on. A quick survey showed that it is burnt, cutfaced, hollow, split halfway, couple big nasty limbs swingin' in breeze, 40' slabs of bark hangin' off it, one side covered with Poison Oak vines as thick as a drunk Scottish accent, there is a squadron of vampire bats as big as Stetsons, three count 'em three yellowjacket nests, hole in ground at center has sulferous fumes and faint glow of magma. Next to the Yurok arrowheads, there is a tight double row of railroad spikes left by German mountaineers from back in the '20s. I also found teeth marks and knuckle imprints left by Teddy Roseyveldt, next to a crudely carved inscription left by John Wayne saying that it was tougher then he was. The hourly geysers on backside shouldn't be too much trouble as the tremors give plenty of warning. Didn't see any trolls, I draw the line at trolls. Thinkin' of using the 5.8 Lancaster with the SilverKing as back-up saw and of course, least we forget, the trusty bowie and panther chasin' hatchet. I think that about covers it. Oh, yeah, I get 20 bucks and a photo of his niece.

Hey, and some of this is actually true.

Back