The Ochsenkopf "Big OX" Maul Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good review, that maul is so potent the you were able to split the chopping block also.

ox head makes the Stihl pa 80, looks just like that without the overstrike system. Although I thought it weighed 6.6 lbs. They work great. 80 bucks

ox head makes the Stihl pa 80, looks just like that without the overstrike system. Although I thought it weighed 6.6 lbs. They work great. 80 bucks

The handle on the PA 80 is smaller in diameter, then the Ox Head, the Ox Head is fatter in diameter. It is not just the over strike protector that is different. Same heads though, but that is about it.

I have a Ox Head, nice maul I bought it because of the over strike protector. But the handle on the PA 80 fits better in my hands,, at least and is more comfortable to use and control. I put up two cords with my Ox Head in late June early July, then went out and bought a splitter, have not touched it since. But either of them are nice mauls.

I have one. It is my "go to" maul. I have used it to strike a steel splitting wedge. I did not realize that is a big no no. I guess I'll have to get an aluminum wedge for times I don't have a sledge handy.

Who told you that? Because it's not true. Mauls are made of steel that is suitable for striking steel (e.g. a wedge) with the poll. Axes OTOH don't support that.

Of course, there's more to it. Among the quality mauls, there is a difference of metallurgy. Best steel I've encountered yet for these, is in the head of a Mueller (Austria) maul. It simply won't deform, no matter how violent the impacts it encounters. Really tough stuff.

Who told you that? Because it's not true. Mauls are made of steel that is suitable for striking steel (e.g. a wedge) with the poll. Axes OTOH don't support that.
Well, first off the guy in the video above. But probably more importantly, and where he may have gotten it from, is the Ochsenkopf website brochure:
For driving in wedges (only plastic or aluminium ones for safety reasons - no steel wedges),
the most suitable tool is the 3 kg BIG OX® splitting hammer. This is very much done to its
large striking surface head and the protective sleeve protecting the wooden handle below
the head from damage when striking is not always true.

Even your Mueller website says this:
Splitting maul „prime-type“ 0257
The ideal tool for splitting, and also for driving in plastic or aluminium felling wedges, and respectively aluminium wedges with wood and ring. This tool is more compact and is usually used with a slightly higher head weight.
They do sell a couple of wedges made from "high grade steel" but I don't see any mauls suited to strike them. There is only one sledge hammer that does not specifically say not to strike steel wedges.

Well, first off the guy in the video above. But probably more importantly, and where he may have gotten it from, is the Ochsenkopf website brochure:
For driving in wedges (only plastic or aluminium ones for safety reasons - no steel wedges),
the most suitable tool is the 3 kg BIG OX® splitting hammer. This is very much done to its
large striking surface head and the protective sleeve protecting the wooden handle below
the head from damage when striking is not always true.

Even your Mueller website says this:
Splitting maul „prime-type“ 0257
The ideal tool for splitting, and also for driving in plastic or aluminium felling wedges, and respectively aluminium wedges with wood and ring. This tool is more compact and is usually used with a slightly higher head weight.
They do sell a couple of wedges made from "high grade steel" but I don't see any mauls suited to strike them. There is only one sledge hammer that does not specifically say not to strike steel wedges.

The guy in the video, I wouldn't quote, I hope for obvious reasons. "My" Mueller website? Huh? Not.

I was basically quoting info in the catalog published by traditionalwoodworker dot com. Sole Mueller importer for USA. To wit: maul polls can be used to strike steel, axes not. Borne out by experience. They do not reference "0257", but "Biber" (Beaver). That maul has not been affected at all by hitting much steel. There are many obvious differences between the two mauls.

If curious, check out http://www.traditionalwoodworker.co...Hand-Forged-in-Austria/productinfo/367-92573/ and check out the bit about pounding wedges in the description.

Some cheapie mauls are questionable- mild steel being too malleable. Less likely to launch chips than harder/more-brittle steel.

The guy in the video, I wouldn't quote, I hope for obvious reasons. "My" Mueller website? Huh? Not.
The fact of the matter is that Ochsenkopf mauls specifically say NOT to strike steel wedges. Mueller mauls say plastic or aluminum wedges with no reference to steel. You asked where he got the info and I provided sources that back it up.

Yes, the website above says you can pound splitting wedges with a Mueller maul. It does not say steel wedges and in fact 3 of the 4 wedges they sell on the site are aluminum.

Fellas, I'm just trying to help by passing along the safety information from the Ochsenkopf website. You can do what you want, but I feel like it's important for me to tell you what they say about hitting steel on steel. I trust their information, they've been making forestry tools since 1781. This is a quote from their website...
  • Never beat steel on steel (for example, hammer or axe against axe). Also steel wedges must be driven in only with a hard wood or plastic hammer. Beating steel on steel can lead to splintering and cause severe accidents.
  • Aluminium and plastic wedges must be driven in with appropriate tools such as a splitting hammer. Only these tools are permanently suitable for driving in wedges due to their special design.
  • Use tools only for their intended purpose. Example: using the axe as a hammer is not using it for its intended purpose.
  • Check the tool before each use. There must be no material cracks on the head and handle. The head must be securely attached to the handle.
  • Wear appropriate protective clothing, for example safety glasses, gloves and safety shoes.
Thanks for checking out my video.

...I can't imagine driving splitting wedges with a wood hammer. It'd take a decade per cord to split.

Consider an aluminum splitting wedge.... You can split many cords with your steel hammer and not worry about the safety risks. Check out this video review...

Consider an aluminum splitting wedge.... You can split many cords with your steel hammer and not worry about the safety risks. Check out this video review...

Ya, knotty pine sucks, especially when wet.

The wedge is interesting, never tried a twisty one or an aluminum one. I noticed you were using a light sledge, what happens if you wangorama on one of those with a two handed heavy sledge? Would it deform fast?

Latest posts

Back