the official arborist site work saw build off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Rule number 4, does it have to be a stock choke? Or can it be a modified one? Just a functioning choke?

Rule 7? Is there a limit to how many pipes? and is that ID or OD.

Any specifications on the spark screen? How will you test this?

spark screen should be visible through the exhaust port or over it however you want to install it as long as it would be functional and forest service approved. it must have the factory true carb with the choke intact and functioning as a everyday work saw would.modify it however you want as long as it functions correctly.

I will donate a mod, if owner pays for shipping both ways.
I knew I shouldnt have gone to bed last night :) Sling'r does some real good work for sure.

Ya, I know, I just finished that one. I have another OEM stock cylinder I could do as well, but time constraints and shipping costs, its just not worth it. I would of sent one to you if you needed it but I see you've already got one.
I was going to say, customs would probably end up keeping your saw till next June. haha :)

Wish I had a little more time behind the dremel. Im scared to grind my favorite work saw! :(

So machining is allowed? And are you gonna pull mufflers to check the bore?

If'n a fellow had a decent running JRed 2171 can he play too? I'd bet money I'll win the ugliest saw there money.

NO YOU WOULD NOT!!! !!!:rock: I have a jonservana 3172 LOL!!

On Rule number 4, does it have to be a stock choke? Or can it be a modified one? Just a functioning choke?

Rule 7? Is there a limit to how many pipes? and is that ID or OD.

Any specifications on the spark screen? How will you test this?

YOU CUT IT OUT!!!! :jester:

your welcome to come and play but it wont count in this buildoff

no j-red versions?? same saw... :cry: now I could see a 2172 maybe not being allowed (the x-torq version...)

with that being said... Is the x-torq allowed???

;)

J

Sling'r... who's sendin you a saw?? ;)

I have a spare jug, in case someone runs across a 365, or SLIPS with the grinder... :taped:

If you guys need saws, I have a 371xp up for sale and will have 2 372's for sale here soon. I'm not interested in trades, loaning them, or having port work done! They aren't gonna be dirt cheap either as I have some time and money invested in them.

I sold the 371 to another member and he didn't like it. I took it apart and found the cylinder to be a little iffy with some small flakes of nikasil missing below the ports. It ran great when it left and the jug was nice.....but anyway, I put a really nice 50mm jug on it this past weekend and a new OEM ring (has a Meteor piston). It is running sweet! New seals, bearings and a bunch of other stuff.

As for the 372's. I almost have one done. It has new seals, bearings, handlebar and a few other goodies. It has a 50mm bore, but the topend is from forester. The kit actually looks really nice and I put in OEM rings. Carb is a Zama. The other 372 will be arriving soon, it supposedly runs fine and just needs some TLC.

Lastly, I don't see why the jonsered line shouldn't be included, they are the same saw besides plastics, paint and air filter.

spark screen should be visible through the exhaust port or over it however you want to install it as long as it would be functional and forest service approved.

The Forest Service here will not approve a muffler that has been modified at all, even if it has spark arrest screens installed. They only allow stock mufflers.

the foresters around here are pretty easy going and as long as i have my screens installed they dont say much. i have had them kid me about how loud my saws are. i actually had park rangers looking for me becouse they thought i was cutting on park property. i was logging a 50 acre tract next door to them and boy they get really pissy when they think your on there land.lol

Ok guys mastermind gave the ok to build one up if I get one. The prices just went threw the roof! I got 2 stihls for trade and bout 100bucks in the paypal who want to hook a brother up??

yeah i bet every 372 around just took a price hike knowing that a bunch of AS saw junkies were going to have a build off lol

yeah i offered up my extra saw to treeslinger, i know i dont have anything to worry about sending it to him. i have to be able to take it to work and put bread on the table after this is over with and jasha knows what it takes to do that. and has the rep to back it up.

The funny thing about these type of ventures though, is that guys whos race saws which did not cut it at the cant GTGs officially become called "work saws" when in reality they would never make it day in and day out in a demanding production oriented enviorment. Mine are never the fastest, but safe and productive.

Last edited:
glad your getting in on this fun simon, im going to be all giddy with so many different highly regarded builders saws at my gtg. its going to be like the whos who of work saw builders.lol i think maybe we should get some red carpet for the operator to walk down .

Will there be a stock "control saw" LOL

Mine would be a close runner up to that one:dizzy:

Has a guide length been decided? 24".....28"....

Edit addition...... I tend to build saws more for the torque end being my favorite set up is a 372 with 32" RW bar.

Last edited:
24" bar and chain cuttiing 18-22" wood depends on what i have available at the gtg time. but it will be hard wood logs not square cants. i want this to be real work saws that a man could make a living with.

Has a guide length been decided? 24".....28"....

Edit addition...... I tend to build saws more for the torque end being my favorite set up is a 372 with 32" RW bar.

i think a 372 would puke out and die after a week of cutting the wood that i cut with a 32" bar. i tend to go bigger saw when i need that much bar on a costant basis. i tend to run the 70cc class saw on up to an average of 24-32" timber(eastern hardwoods) i may be wrong but thats what seems to work best and last longest for outfits around here.

Back