The Old Giants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Farley9n said:
This 940 was from the US Forest Service and had hardly been used. Went to a collector in the Northeast. Now that I'm more into keeping saws I never would sell one like it. This site has helped to make me "Saw Crazy!"....Bob

Very nice! What did that go for, if you don't mind me asking? I've got to get something like that for our next GTG!

I,ve an old dolmar 144 which was giving me gip but has redemed it self lately
it needs a new bar (currently 25"), What size could i go to, mind you it scares the ????e out off me But i,m probably a wimp:biggrinbounce2:

My SP125 in action today

Thought I'd post a pic of my sp125 with a 42 inch bar
Hadn't used it for about a year, but still goes well.
A friend needed to cut this pine which had fallen over a fence, but didn't he have a large enough saw/bar.
Felt good letting the old girl out for a breather.

super 44 A

Where could I find a bar for a mccollugh super 44 A? I looked in bailey's magazine and couldn't find a bar. It has a 22" hardnose bar on it now that is shot. I want a sproket tip bar. The only bar I seen that had a similar mount was a harvester bar.:jawdrop: :confused: :hmm3grin2orange: I've been working on it and I got it running, but now has a major fuel leak by the carb. I'm pretty sure it is the fuel line though.:hmm3grin2orange:

jonsereds 111

I think this swedish little giant fits right in this thread (110cc). Very nice saw with 32 " bar.

attachment.php

I was happy to add another old giant to my collection last week. Hoss has been teasing me a lot with his homies and 090, but this baby is up for a challenge : the giant dolmar CT.

After giving her a good clean (a ton of greasy sawdust, grrrr), some minor repairs and a new carb set, the old lady roared again. Quite a deep roaring sound, I love it....:givebeer:

attachment.php

the 24" bar/.404 chain

attachment.php

The top cover had a minor crack ; it was repaired with JBweld and badly repainted by the previous owner. I just need a lil new paint to make her look like a lady again :angel:

attachment.php

The best part of this saw is its weight. 14 kg (30,8 lbs) net weight on the hook (no fuel or oil). Not a saw for senior norwegians......, :hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

This is a 1960 little giant Dolmar CX Taifun, dolmars first direct drive one man chainsaw, same generation as the Solo Rex or Stihl Contra.
110 cc, 24" bar.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This thread has been brought back from the dead a few times over the last several years, to our collective benefit. I never get tired of seeing the big saws or their 60" bars. Thanks for sharing, ya gotta love the old magnesium!

I may just have to hatch a plan to get myself an sp125. I actually could use one periodically.

My toys

This thread has been brought back from the dead a few times over the last several years, to our collective benefit. I never get tired of seeing the big saws or their 60" bars. Thanks for sharing, ya gotta love the old magnesium!

I may just have to hatch a plan to get myself an sp125. I actually could use one periodically.

Here's a few shots of my super 1050 AND SP125. Founf the new 50" Homelite bar and couldn't resist, but I normally run a 36" on it. That's a 24" in the other photo - much better balance.
Just finished re-doing the intake and carb (yes, that's an accelerator pump). I wasn't getting any fuel pump action after setting a couple months. After filing all the mating surfaces flat and applying a little instant gasket, all is well again. The 1050 has been in the family for 30+ years. Still a great running saw.

Where do you guys get spare parts for those old saws? I'd like to get my hands on a really big saw as a restoration project but I don't want anything that parts are extinct for.

I'd love to run one of those big 60" saws.

Where do you guys get spare parts for those old saws? I'd like to get my hands on a really big saw as a restoration project but I don't want anything that parts are extinct for.

That's the fun part of collecting :cry: :cry: No kiddings, finding parts for these oldies is a real challenge and takes time. Trading parts between collectors is very common, so there's a solution most of the time. They also can give you great tips for repairing or using alternative parts.

I have an SP125 on my workbench for almost 6 weeks nows and giving me the evil eye for not completing it : finding crank seals was a tough one, now I am looking for a new/alternative rubber intake booth.

Also a personal tip : don't spent too much money when buying an incomplete saw.

Back