The Ryobi 3714.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know I just thought it was a good idea to see if it even cut. You think I should just give up and go buy a real saw!?:ices_rofl:

I know this thread is almost a year old but I was looking at 3714s at HD this morning. Decided to do a search and this thread popped up. Was just wondering what you think of the saw after some more time. There $100 brand new here so I may pick one up to try my first gasket delete and some other mods.

I picked one up on a special sale at local hardware store for $59. Did no mods to it but for quick limbing or down limbs in the yard it is a good saw if you keep in mind what it is.

I used it Thanksgiving Day to cut up an 8” hickory limb that came down. Wasn’t as fast as if I grabbed a 400 but it did the job and felt like a feather. Got 2 days of heat out of that limb. Gotta love hickory.

I used it Thanksgiving Day to cut up an 8” hickory limb that came down. Wasn’t as fast as if I grabbed a 400 but it did the job and felt like a feather. Got 2 days of heat out of that limb. Gotta love hickory.
A cs400 is on my list as I feel with a mm and good chain it will give Steve's 241 nightmares. The idea for the 3714 was more the experiment with it. Muff mod, base gasket delete, play with the ports. A learning experience and if I wreck the cylinder it can't be to expensive to replace. I have a poulan 3400 I was gone use for these experiments but decided I don't want to ruin that saw.

A cs400 is on my list as I feel with a mm and good chain it will give Steve's 241 nightmares. The idea for the 3714 was more the experiment with it. Muff mod, base gasket delete, play with the ports. A learning experience and if I wreck the cylinder it can't be to expensive to replace. I have a poulan 3400 I was gone use for these experiments but decided I don't want to ruin that saw.
Does the 400 have a cat muffler? I know my 352's cut times dropped close to 40 percent after de-catting

The RY3714/16 also has a cat muffler, and would benefit from a muffler mod. It would likely be easier to start with an earlier non-cat muffler and bracket from something like a Ryobi 10532 (GZ400).

If I didn't have 4 saws on this chassis already I would have bought one by now (Earthquake G3800 clone, various GZ400/4000 saws). They are all very nice saws.

My biggest surprise so far was how hard my Husky 142 cuts after de-catting.
Indeed! I actually modded the stock cat muffler just for kicks. The cat material is like a coarse spark screen material with a large surface area, and it's easy to open the outlet. I have no doubt it would flow well. Still, weight and heat concerns have kept me from putting it back on, even though I'd like the benefits of reducing the fuel and oil I breathe. The 142 runs so nice as it is I can't bring myself to mess with it.

So the specs show these weighing 10 pounds. I wonder if thats the shipping weight.

Local pawn shop has a dusty 3716 with the case that's been there for a good long time and I'm thinkin about offering forty bucks.
Pulled the top cover and the air filter looked brand new.

Thought it might be worth 40 to give me something to get my feet wet with modding.
And I know the powerhead has got to be closer to 7 pounds than 10.

Would rather have the 14 inch bar. And a different shop has a 3714 that was manufactured 11/2018 according to the tag. Looks like someone threw a chain and didn't know how to get it back on. Cover's tightened up with the adjuster not in the hole and chain is way loose. Could probably get it for 50...but no case with it.

It's a fun cheap saw with good parts to work with and parts are cheap for it.

Home Depot has refurbished ones for $69.97. I got 2 of these, They run pretty good for a $69 saw. I muffler modded 1 and put chisel chain on them.

Back