I Bought The New Makita Mini Saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought this new Makita mini saw with the 6'' bar. I have wanted this ever since I saw a video of it in Russia 2-3 years ago when I bought the GTA 26. I went to Home Depot a month ago and hid the thing behind some junk Ryobi weed eaters that nobody would be buying in the winter. This thing is so nice and is the best mini chainsaw ever in my view. It is better than the Milwaukee Hatchets. I bought it with some of my Christmas money and got a couple of other cool tools this Christmas like the Makita power adapter, spotlight, and die grinder.
20231226_184653.jpg
Here are some photos of the saw:
20231226_165923.jpg20231226_170016.jpg
I put a link to my video right here:

Cool little saw, I'd advise against the dual weilding chainsaws tho... looks like an accident waiting to be caught on camera.
If you want to compare cutting ability on small stuff, doing multiple (like 5+) consecutive cuts on the same wood with each saw so you can gauge the total time & get an accurate average is a good way to do it

They are handy little saws.
We use the cheap knock offs from amazon for trimming trees on the atv's.
They work fine, im sure a better built one is nice but I dont use it enough to justify paying more than 50 bucks for one.

Virtually any Makita product can be ordered on line from home depot. Generally the higher grade tools are only on the web if there are similar but more pro choices. No need to hide stuff, they have or used to have a policy called lay away back before most folks had credit cards to spend money they don't have. I have a few of somewhat similar things I call flashlights.

Virtually any Makita product can be ordered on line from home depot. Generally the higher grade tools are only on the web if there are similar but more pro choices. No need to hide stuff, they have or used to have a policy called lay away back before most folks had credit cards to spend money they don't have. I have a few of somewhat similar things I call flashlights.
I like Toolnut.com.

Cool little saw, I'd advise against the dual weilding chainsaws tho... looks like an accident waiting to be caught on camera.
If you want to compare cutting ability on small stuff, doing multiple (like 5+) consecutive cuts on the same wood with each saw so you can gauge the total time & get an accurate average is a good way to do it
Yep. It isn't gonna a habit though.

So, what makes it so much better then the Milwaukee? All I saw was an unboxing, some chest beating, improper use of 2 saws and zero information to back up any of your claims.

So, what makes it so much better then the Milwaukee? All I saw was an unboxing, some chest beating, improper use of 2 saws and zero information to back up any of your claims.
At least I am not praising the GTA 26 like the Stihl fanboy I am. It is lighter, slimmer, and has a faster chain speed. It is only titled like that on youtube so I get more clicks from pissed-off Milwaukee fanboys.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XCU14Z

FWIW, the M18 Hatchet is far faster than my MS151TC Stihl, to the point where I sold my 151 and an contemplating buying an M18 Hatchet and top handle chainsaw for myself.

As far as it being better than a GTA26, that’s a very low bar, hands down the worst product Stihl has recently put out along with the MS162

FWIW, the M18 Hatchet is far faster than my MS151TC Stihl, to the point where I sold my 151 and an contemplating buying an M18 Hatchet and top handle chainsaw for myself.

As far as it being better than a GTA26, that’s a very low bar, hands down the worst product Stihl has recently put out along with the MS162
I would think the 151 is a great saw for doing stuff like carving. But for power, nope.

I prefer some substance in reviews, you could do better.
And besides. Milwaukee is absolute garbage. It is overpriced red Ryobi. Makita hands down beats Milwaukee any day of the week in terms of the amount of tools that they make, as well as ergonomics and durability.

And besides. Milwaukee is absolute garbage. It is overpriced red Ryobi. Makita hands down beats Milwaukee any day of the week in terms of the amount of tools that they make, as well as ergonomics and durability.
Not sure exactly what hands down means but I saw a video where Milwaukee had a thing you put the 18 volt battery in and got 120volt I suspect ac out. Best I can see at Makita is something to recharge your batteries. Milwaukee has more powerful battery nailers Makita's biggest is the 15 gauge finish nailer. The battery Makita 3/8 drive ratchet thing sure did not do too good on the durability. Are you sure you are in a position to make comments about ergonomics and durability of such a vast selection from both?

On another note I went to your prefeered toolnut on line store. They act like I can still order Makita gasoline chainsaws and get them in 12 to 18 days. I have my doubts, You think they will deliver or waste one's time.

Yes. It is lighter, more comfortable in my hand, and has better specs.
And this comes from your extensive use of the Milwaukee equivalent? Grow up, you don't have a clue how it compares to a Milwaukee, dewalt, harbor freight or an axe.
Thousands of guys that use tools everyday would disagree with you, that have hands on experience with multiple different brands. All you're spewing is conjecture and bs.

And this comes from your extensive use of the Milwaukee equivalent? Grow up, you don't have a clue how it compares to a Milwaukee, dewalt, harbor freight or an axe.

Thousands of guys that use tools everyday would disagree with you, that have hands on experience with multiple different brands. All you're spewing is conjecture and bs.
I do. I have used Milwaukee tools before. I have used Ryobi before. I have used Ridgid before. I have used Hitachi. I didn't like either all that muck which is why I settled on Makita and Bosch.

I havent ran much makita but have tons of milwaukee stuff, 2 drills, 2 impact drivers, 1/2" impact, holesaws, tape measures, weedeater, polesaw, hedge trimmers, lights etc
honestly don't like the milwaukee a whole lot but we bought into a battery system that works, I can say with absolute certainty the milwaukee holds up really well, but its heavy and expensive, ive dropped them off ladders, roofs, into mud puddles, ive had a few different drills and impacts submerged and kept working

haven't tested the makita in that aspect but they do make a very nice tool, maybe not as robust to misuse but still an excellent tool, my dad has a makita sliding compound miter saw, about 20 years old and works perfectly fine every day in his wood shop

all my new power tools will be makita, my dad can keep the Milwaukee while I replace it all with the blue stuff

@Mr.Metsä im gonna call out some BS on one of your posts tho, as much as I don't care for milsucky, they aren't a red ryobi, both made by TTI but have nothing in common, Milwaukee is like a Hino XL8, and ryobi is a corolla, both made by toyota but the Hino is a commercial class 8 truck while the corolla is for a soccer mom to drag 2 kids to school with, yes they will both get 500K miles when used as designed, but do a milwaukee job with a ryobi and you will be sorely disappointed

I havent ran much makita but have tons of milwaukee stuff, 2 drills, 2 impact drivers, 1/2" impact, holesaws, tape measures, weedeater, polesaw, hedge trimmers, lights etc
honestly don't like the milwaukee a whole lot but we bought into a battery system that works, I can say with absolute certainty the milwaukee holds up really well, but its heavy and expensive, ive dropped them off ladders, roofs, into mud puddles, ive had a few different drills and impacts submerged and kept working

haven't tested the makita in that aspect but they do make a very nice tool, maybe not as robust to misuse but still an excellent tool, my dad has a makita sliding compound miter saw, about 20 years old and works perfectly fine every day in his wood shop

all my new power tools will be makita, my dad can keep the Milwaukee while I replace it all with the blue stuff

@Mr.Metsä im gonna call out some BS on one of your posts tho, as much as I don't care for milsucky, they aren't a red ryobi, both made by TTI but have nothing in common, Milwaukee is like a Hino XL8, and ryobi is a corolla, both made by toyota but the Hino is a commercial class 8 truck while the corolla is for a soccer mom to drag 2 kids to school with, yes they will both get 500K miles when used as designed, but do a milwaukee job with a ryobi and you will be sorely disappointed
Yep. Ryobi is diarrheal quality. Even though I know you hate poop jokes.

Yep. Ryobi is diarrheal quality. Even though I know you hate poop jokes.
I ran a buddies ryobi impact driver once removing a go-kart clutch, 10mm bolt at like 35ft pounds, it wouldn't break it loose, had to get out his 1/2" air impact and a fat stack of adaptors, wrench woulda been faster but I didn't need a piston stop with the impact

The milwaukee would have zipped it off no problem, I've stripped suzuki samurai head studs with the m18 impact driver pretty easily

Latest posts

Back