The term CAD needs fine tuning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Say you have a room full of chainsaws, the bulk of which have been restored to some presentable condition and are nicely arranged on display, feel no guilt. You don't have a disease, you are a COLLECTOR. Be proud of your collection and your craft and it would be great if you would have visitor days when like minded folk could come and appreciate what you have. Maybe heft a few saws, check their weight and balance, fondle their handles and pull their triggers.
On the other hand, have you been engaged in the mindless accumulation of chainsaws, the bulk of which have never been touched since you got them? Are they stashed away in nooks and corners and maybe spread around through many buildings and you lie to people about how many you have (don't really know the number)? You sir are a HOARDER and might benefit from a 12-step program.
Most of us fall somewhere between these roles, so when you are out looking for another saw, do you have a plan for it? Will it fill a gap in your collection of models? Is it just a saw you like and want to get it running and see how it cuts and maybe "think" about selling it, or will it just get added to the pile with the thought "I'll get around to seeing if I can get it to run someday"?

I guess I must have the benign variety. Yes, there are more finished saws than I need on the shelves. On the positive side, I am not buying any more, and the cripples and basket cases are steadily being turned into good looking and good working saws. What I will do with them is the next question.

It’s spreading...,..

Bought an old Honda 4-STROKE stick edger now. But it was cheap and looks and runs like new..
And now already thinkin about lookin for a bicycle to mount the GX31 motor on.....or maybe an RC boat

Pulled a Homelite 26cc blower and a Bolens BL100 string trimmer from a trash pile the other morning. Both pulled close to 150psi. Both needed only new fuel lines and plugs. Runners!!! Both were tuned to be screamers, so I fixed that problem.

I may see what I can do to turn that trimmer into a pole saw. CAD???

Is the second stage building more shelves in the garage so the saws will fit?

Which stage is tripping over them and ripping a hole in your pants?

How about “sorry honey, they were a good deal. Give me a few weeks and you’ll be able to park in the garage again.”?
I've done and said everything mentioned there...and then some

Hello.....I have CADD. I have saws stashed away under my workbench that will NEVER run again. I can't get to my workbench without having to move 5-6 saws out of the way....none of which run. So.....thank-you Old2stroke for starting this thread! I promise not to buy another saw (unless it runs)(or has the potential to run)(or looks like it might, someday, be able to be brought back to life with some parts)(or just looks cool) and I will make every effort to sell, give away, or donate all the saws I don't use (use....defined as a saw that I cut wood with, or keep for display purposes, or tinker on, or have plans, someday maybe, to tinker on)!

4738E1D3-BF24-4158-8A0F-36909E9D7EBB.jpeg Oops....I..did it again.
With a German Dolmar 421...orange no less.
I couldn’t help myself. She’s so sleek and fast. And her skin is so smooth. But you can tell she’s a tough cookie by her weight. And she was kinda dirty when I got her.
I feel like I’m cheating on my brand new CS490. But I had heard what a screamer she was and just had to try’er on for size.
She started right up, and I couldn’t get the hunerd and fifty out of my pocket fast enough...plus tax if you can believe it.
Her chain was pulled way to tight, but I just knew she was a spinner..:chainsaw:

The shame of it all...:surprised3:My only ounce of self respect and dignity comes from the fact that I got both the brand new Echo 490 and this little tart combined for less than what a new 590 would’ve cost me

View attachment 681293 Oops....I..did it again.
With a German Dolmar 421...orange no less.
I couldn’t help myself. She’s so sleek and fast. And her skin is so smooth. But you can tell she’s a tough cookie by her weight. And she was kinda dirty when I got her.
I feel like I’m cheating on my brand new CS490. But I had heard what a screamer she was and just had to try’er on for size.
She started right up, and I couldn’t get the hunerd and fifty out of my pocket fast enough...plus tax if you can believe it.
Her chain was pulled way to tight, but I just knew she was a spinner..:chainsaw:

The shame of it all...:surprised3:My only ounce of self respect and dignity comes from the fact that I got both the brand new Echo 490 and this little tart combined for less than what a new 590 would’ve cost me
And that,,, ladies and gentlemen,,,, is why I love AMERICA!!

Maybe I'm immune I only have the firewood saws and a few older poulans. Can't turn down a 3400 runner for $20 or s25 and 2300 for free. It will be the old poulans that get me.

I've been using chainsaws all my life, but I'm pretty new to the CAD end of it. So far, I'll buy saws I can clean up and tune, then resell for a small profit, to try fund purchasing other saws. So far, I'm only keeping Husqvarna/Jonsered/Stihl, which have some aftermarket support (1990 and above). I regularly have about 6-10 saws in my garage, some a run regularly, some that need a tune to sell, and some that need some work which I'll keep.

At this point, I don't have interest in collecting older saws that have no parts support.

Back