Tiny stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Red saw lover
Reaction score
I'm in the early stages of thinking about heating a tiny (~15x15') cabin with wood. A cook top would be nice but I'm realistic. What have you guys used that has worked? I'm considering a marine type stove.

Budget? And how much cooking. When I think of small stoves for cheap, I think of the cast iron pot belly looking stoves.

I'd thought about that, I'm still looking for something smaller. I know we have some members with some remote cabins.

Also I should have noted, I'll be burning wood.

That first TSC stove is what we always called a "box stove." I have such a stove in my camp (just came home from there), which is 10' x 20' (with a 6 x 10 screened in porch out front). My camp is 200 sq ft & yours is 225. I have all the room in the world inside, and that stove is a high point. Mine is a cheap China-made version that a friend salvaged and gave to me. I set it on a 3' x 5' sheet of Hardy board (like for tile work underlayment) to protect floor and provide a hearth.

The key, in my book, is to keep camp simple. I cook on a two-burner coleman camp stove on a shelf, but have also used the box stove for some cooking and also for heating water, etc.
There's already one of those stoves in there. I'm thinking for deer camp or fishing this time of year. It may only be 12x12. It's really small.

If it's really small, then you'll be really warm. But I like that stove.

Get a tiny stove and now you're cutting tiny wood. I used to sell firewood to guy with a tiny stove in his trailer. He wanted 9" firewood. If he hadn't been my closest friend I'd have told him where to put his 9" wood. I hated that crap.

Yes you will. I keep dry fire makings always on hand inside camp. Can walk in anytime and have heat in 8 minutes.

You're probably in the right country for white birch. Find pieces of bark in the woods and it makes the best fire starter on earth. Find bits of bark where the wood has rotted away and the bark remains. Shake out the junk and get just the bark. If you cut a white birch, score the bark with your knife and peal it. Start your fire with that. The stuff has some kind of pitch, will almost burn wet. Burns with black smoke.

Yes you will. I keep dry fire makings always on hand inside camp. Can walk in anytime and have heat in 8 minutes.

You're probably in the right country for white birch. Find pieces of bark in the woods and it makes the best fire starter on earth. Find bits of bark where the wood has rotted away and the bark remains. Shake out the junk and get just the bark. If you cut a white birch, score the bark with your knife and peal it. Start your fire with that. The stuff has some kind of pitch, will almost burn wet. Burns with black smoke.
Plenty of that oily stuff right on the property:yes:

Having had a cast iron box stove they are not spark proof. They are bolted together and mine had air gaps that would allow a spark to get through the gap making a fire hazard. Look for a small plate steel stove that seals air tight. I have a Magnolia plate stove in my house and it;s air tight so I can simply shut the damper down and the fire will go out if I want to leave the house for a bit. I feel safer then with the box stove.

If that box stove is already in there, wait for a cold day and fire it up. Whoever put it in there probably liked it just fine. You might like it too.

Of course, check your flue, etc. All that good stuff before firing the stove.

If that box stove is already in there, wait for a cold day and fire it up. Whoever put it in there probably liked it just fine. You might like it too.

Of course, check your flue, etc. All that good stuff before firing the stove.
No I was saying there is a coleman cook stove. If it was used in the winter by the PO he took a kerosene heater.

Latest posts

Back