Tractor Supply Bar Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karrl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just a heads up for anyone who uses the TSC oil. I’ve used it for a while and never had problems but this winter I found that they started using multiple suppliers. One comes in a taller skinnier jug and is thin like a winter blend, the second comes in a thicker jug with a handle that comes off of the side. This is the formula I’m used to which is thick like molasses .
I haven’t had major issues with either blend but I figured I’d put it out there. The thinner formula actually worked much better with the dry maple and ash I’ve been cutting. I’m located in nw NJ so I’m not sure if this is the case elsewhere.

Tractor Supply has the cheapest bar oil I’ve seen at ~$8 a gallon, and it goes on sale for 6-7 throughout the year. I’m not too picky about my bar oil as long as it works. Two stroke on the other hand...

We have been lucky enough to get both a Tractor Supply and a Menards in my hometown (the closest significant town, about 40 minutes from where I now live) within the last ten years. I usually buy Menards oil when they do the quarterly sale which I believe is CAM2 in the boxy jugs but have some other oil in the tall jugs now and honestly cannot remember where it came from. I did notice that the stuff in the tall jugs is thinner.

Walmart often sells their house brand bar oil or Poulan branded oil in those tall jugs as well and that stuff is definitely on the thin side too.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if it all came from the same company with different labels for different stores.

In the big picture, bar oil is a consumable and it's properties outside of cost don't really matter to me as long as I do not run out of it.

I watch the TSC add and usually buy 4-6 gallons when it get down to 2 for $7 or 2 for $8. All the ones I have bought were the shorter ones. Haven't bought any this year as I still have some left from last year. Will pay attention to the jugs next time I need some. To be quite honest I love looking at Jugs!

Back