Tree-mek in action

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tiffin Loader Crane, from Ohio, has built the most, including mine. They definitely have a good understanding of the system.

There are lots of different knuckle boom crane dealers around the country that can build one. Build time is usually around 2-4 months. Here is an article I wrote including an interview with Glenn Gerasimek https://www.knuckleboomtrader.com/mecanil-grapple-saws/
WOW! 2-4 months?, I had no idea. I pictured just mounting a "crane kit" on a truck and simply hooking the head onto the end of the crane. Obviously I know there is more than a snap together system...but would never have guessed it would take that long.

Is that 2-4 months of actually working on it, or is it if I ordered one today it would be 2-4 months before you have it ready for delivery realizing you have other projects going on at the same time? (not that I am ordering one any time soon...would love to, but not the direction I am growing in right now)

WOW! 2-4 months?, I had no idea. I pictured just mounting a "crane kit" on a truck and simply hooking the head onto the end of the crane. Obviously I know there is more than a snap together system...but would never have guessed it would take that long.

Is that 2-4 months of actually working on it, or is it if I ordered one today it would be 2-4 months before you have it ready for delivery realizing you have other projects going on at the same time? (not that I am ordering one any time soon...would love to, but not the direction I am growing in right now)

Usually after placing an order for a new crane it takes anywhere from 2-4 months for the crane to be built and shipped... depending on the time of year. A lot of the work to the truck can be done before the crane arrives though.

Thanks for clarifying! Curious: what is the approximate labor cost for mounting the crane on the truck?

I ask because if somebody were to go shopping for a used unit, should they be looking for a truck-mounted crane or a bare crane? For example, let's say I can save $15,000 buying the truck and crane separately, but it is going to cost $20,000 to mount the crane...then I'd want to buy an already mounted crane/truck combo if possible. Or maybe the truck needs some work...how much can I sink into the truck before it is better to have bought a truck that is read to go?

Thanks for clarifying! Curious: what is the approximate labor cost for mounting the crane on the truck?

I ask because if somebody were to go shopping for a used unit, should they be looking for a truck-mounted crane or a bare crane? For example, let's say I can save $15,000 buying the truck and crane separately, but it is going to cost $20,000 to mount the crane...then I'd want to buy an already mounted crane/truck combo if possible. Or maybe the truck needs some work...how much can I sink into the truck before it is better to have bought a truck that is read to go?

There is a ton of truck prep to mount a crane properly and there are many used truck/crane units out there that aren't great builds. For example, you might find a nice crane/truck combo, but find out that you don't have 100% capacity because of the way it was mounted.
Tiffin has engineers that make sure that when your unit is finished that you have 100% capacity in full 360 degrees of rotation. Then, just when you think you're going to drive it home, they test the hell out of it for about 3 more days to make sure all the numbers work and there are zero issues. Some units have restrictions like 'over the cab you can only lift 80%'. That's a big restriction.
I'm very happy with mine. I know, for sure, what it can lift.

Thanks for clarifying! Curious: what is the approximate labor cost for mounting the crane on the truck? I ask because if somebody were to go shopping for a used unit, should they be looking for a truck-mounted crane or a bare crane? For example, let's say I can save $15,000 buying the truck and crane separately, but it is going to cost $20,000 to mount the crane...then I'd want to buy an already mounted crane/truck combo if possible. Or maybe the truck needs some work...how much can I sink into the truck before it is better to have bought a truck that is read to go?

Sorry I missed your reply. I was actually in Miami meeting with a Palfinger dealer and have been super busy. I've been getting lots of calls from different crane dealers around the country... tons of interest in this!

Good deals can be had for both cranes mounted on a truck and unmounted used cranes. Like Glenn said, it's hard to find the perfect used crane/truck setup in the secondary market. Even finding a used crane that will work well with a grapple saw is extremely difficult. I just came across a nice 2013 PM 53 SP crane w/ jib. It has 1 function to the end of the jib, but the grapple saw requires two. A second function can be added for around $5,000 - $8,000. It took me 3 months to find a used crane that will work with a grapple saw, there just aren't many in the used market available.

Price for installation all depends on the size of the crane and your truck... it can range from $10,000 up to $40,000 or more!

Sorry I missed your reply. I was actually in Miami meeting with a Palfinger dealer and have been super busy. I've been getting lots of calls from different crane dealers around the country... tons of interest in this!

Good deals can be had for both cranes mounted on a truck and unmounted used cranes. Like Glenn said, it's hard to find the perfect used crane/truck setup in the secondary market. Even finding a used crane that will work well with a grapple saw is extremely difficult. I just came across a nice 2013 PM 53 SP crane w/ jib. It has 1 function to the end of the jib, but the grapple saw requires two. A second function can be added for around $5,000 - $8,000. It took me 3 months to find a used crane that will work with a grapple saw, there just aren't many in the used market available.

Price for installation all depends on the size of the crane and your truck... it can range from $10,000 up to $40,000 or more!
I don't want to come off as boastful or anything, but the cost of around $250,000 for a complete setup like mine is not alot of money considering the equipment and personnel that it replaces and amount of sales that it secures. It totally wrecks the current tree service model. You can't prepare yourself for all the changes. It blows everything away. I could rant about it all day.

I don't want to come off as boastful or anything, but the cost of around $250,000 for a complete setup like mine is not alot of money considering the equipment and personnel that it replaces and amount of sales that it secures. It totally wrecks the current tree service model. You can't prepare yourself for all the changes. It blows everything away. I could rant about it all day.

I think you may be overstating the benefits a bit. Maybe in your market with your business model it changes things. I see it efficiently working in a area where there are large removals with decent access. For example, areas being devastated by EAB or DED. However, in my market, I think you would be scrambling to keep afloat.

I think the trees are too tall in Vancouver. Handy for the last 1/2 of the tree, though.

Oops! Maybe not. What was the cutoff capacity of that thing again?
You can always get a bigger crane if needed. Mecanil makes 3 heads. Mine is the SG220 which has an 18" bar. They also have the SG280 which has a 22" bar. It's heavier, of course, so if you had a bigger crane it wouldn't be a big deal.
The SG220 handles everything I need it to here in western PA.

I wouldn't want the SG280 as my only one. I put a ton of time into dreaming up the tree-mek. I think I found the perfect balance between length & weight of truck, reach & capacity of crane, and size & weight of grapplesaw for my particular area and types of trees. I wanted a small, maneuverable unit that I could get into yards and tight spots. The trees in my area are deciduous, mostly, and average height is 75'. I can handle trees up to 115' though.
So is mine a mini version of a PK40/SG280? Yes and for many good reasons.
It all comes down to what you need for the area you work in.
Keep in mind, a bigger crane means longer truck, heavier unit overall, wider outrigger span, heavy vehicle tax, apportioned plates, higher registration, and less access. The trade off is more capacity and a little more reach.
It's your call. Just a few pointers to help you decide.

By the way, tree-mek #6 just went into action last week in Eastern Ohio.
And it looks like 2 are on order from the Atlanta, GA area, 1 south of Denver, and 1 from Montana.
Do you know how many mek trucks are in Ohio now and what areas?

Latest posts

Back