• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold UGLY STIHL 088 GREAT RUNNER

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ELECT6845

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Cosmetics on this saw are rough but it runs great. As you can see in the pictures the plastics are rough and missing the emblems . The inside felling spike bolt hole has been broken out, looks as the bolt got loose and they kept using it until it broke out. I took the saw apart and gave it a very good cleaning. The crank is tight and the piston/cylinder are in great shape. I deleted the base gasket, cut the chamber to set the squish, and did some mild porting. Muffler deflector has been opened up and tabs on the carb deleted. Saw also got new clutch springs and oiler gear. Compression ended up at 180. This saws was at the NW IN. gtg and made several cuts with a 36" bar. It pulls very well. ASKING 750.00 PLUS SHIPPING

Attachments

• 100_4025.JPG
    100_4025.JPG
    483.9 KB · Views: 347
  • 100_4026.JPG
    100_4026.JPG
    489.9 KB · Views: 361
  • 100_3995.JPG
    100_3995.JPG
    423.6 KB · Views: 333
  • 100_3997.JPG
    100_3997.JPG
    437.9 KB · Views: 340
  • 100_4000.JPG
    100_4000.JPG
    518.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 100_4001.JPG
    100_4001.JPG
    435.8 KB · Views: 310
  • 100_4007.JPG
    100_4007.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 304
  • 100_4005.JPG
    100_4005.JPG
    432.6 KB · Views: 279
I have a lot of confidence in JB Weld but not sure it would be strong enough for that application. IF the saw were used on a mill, it would be a non issue.

I had a 460 with a repair on the top bolt. It had held a while before I got it.

x2 on new owner sending to shaun to have the bolt hole tigged back up and ground out. He does a fantastic job on magnesium welding which you can't say for 99% of other welders out there.

It likely won't be, like you mention. I tried on a 460 and it failed almost right away.
It broke inntge same area as that 88. a hired hand somehow bent the felling spike and I tried to straighten it without pulling it off the saw.

To fix I made a small steel tab to grab the factory hole and drilled a new hole a little further back.

I have a lot of confidence in JB Weld but not sure it would be strong enough for that application. IF the saw were used on a mill, it would be a non issue.

I had an 044 with the same problem but was worse. Not only was the top spike mount broke out like yours, but the bottom hole was stripped out as well.

I tapped the bottom spike hole with an 8mm tap and then at the upper part of the backside of the oil tank sticking out, I drilled and tapped two 5mm holes , one on top of the other. I think it was a decent repair and the spike seemed sturdy afterwards. I also mounted the outer spike so with both mounted, I felt sure it would hold.

Sold it on craigslist to a guy and showed him my fix and he was fine with it

It likely won't be, like you mention. I tried on a 460 and it failed almost right away.
It broke inntge same area as that 88. a hired hand somehow bent the felling spike and I tried to straighten it without pulling it off the saw.

To fix I made a small steel tab to grab the factory hole and drilled a new hole a little further back.

Huh? WTF!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back