Unrealistic and misleading Chainsaw reviews.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
received_410704846467756.jpeg So I had some time off, got bored and decided to check out some Chainsaw reviews.
I disagreed with a high percentage of what I read, but that's opinion.
However one review that caught my eye was the biggest Worx Electric Chainsaw. So I ordered one.
I studied Electrical Engineering but you don't need a degree to know that anything that draws 12 or 15 amps is going to require a #10/3 or maybe a #12/3 extension cord and the maximum of 100 feet long very limited and cut time heats things heat up.
The saw arrived and looks ok. It's heavy and big compared to my other electric. I dragged a small oak up to the house with my tractor and began cutting it up. The saw worked pretty good at blocking but I wasn't impressed. I guess it's okay but after using Gas Saws I have a hard time with a review that states it's a Good Firewood saw. No its not. Wanna cut firewood you need a Gas Saw. Unless you really don't heat your house with firewood and think half a cord is firewood. A good light, powerful 50cc saw like an Echo cs490 IS a minimal GOOD firewood imho. I'd choose my Echo cs352 over an Electric Chainsaw. But my jaw really dropped when the review said the small Worx sold here by Wallyworld is a good firewood saw. I looked at one and it's not impressive. Cost just under 50 bucks till taxes. The information they give made it seem to have an automatic oiler. Nope, it's the primer bulb on the oil cap type. I may be lazy at over 70 but my days of pushing an oiler with my thumb while I cut are behind me.
Well my Grandson and I put the gas Generator on the trailer and took the big WorX out to the woods. I cut a few small trees. Finally the Trigger stuck ON. I flipped it a while then turned the Generator power switch to off and finally was able to get the trigger switch to open back up. IMHO, it's just not a firewood saw but I may find a use for it. I've used small electric chainsaws removing flooring when remodeling before. They will cut right up to the wall and no gas fumes. I've used the small electric pole saws with a small Generator but when I want to cut firewood I drop em with the Echo cs590 and buck em up with that or my Sthil 029 unless they are approximately 12 to 16 inch trees. Then again, I sorta take cutting firewood serious. Your mileage may vary.

I bought the misses a mailorder battery chargeable chainsaw, it takes the same 20v batteries for my drill, too. Handy that way. It came with a squirt bottle to lube the chain? I need three hands? It’s still unused.

Ha. Ha. I understand. Once upon a time a long time ago I needed to cut a small tree on a property line. The customer told me it must be cut quietly so the other land owner wouldn't hear the commotion and start a fight. Also speed was important. Had to get it done and get gone.
Well I put a deep cycle battery on my trailer and connected a 2,000/4000 watt inverter. That powered the 9 amp Electric Chainsaw long enough to get the small tree down, flush cut stump bucked tree and was gone. I put full strength Round up on the stump, rubbed dirt on top of that, slipped away and Jesus did the rest. I did buy an electric Worx pole saw. It's automatic oiler. For the occasional tree limb the inverter runs it well. The saw looks like the manuel oil type but has auto. That tells you Worx could make the cheaper one auto. It's a market scam. These big companies play us like Footballs. The old, "This one is like that one only cheaper, well there is one small difference". BS. Echo does that with the cs310. Oh it's exactly like the cs352 only 4 cc smaller engine. BS. I bought a cs310. After a MM and retune it cut OK but the AV is flimsy the Air Filter is cheap crap. Pop the cover and take a look. The cs310 is a BS saw. Its best to put that 200 bucks toward a cs352. I sold my cs310 for 130 bucks. Caught the cs352 sale 20% off and walked out with a new cs352 for 228 bucks. The flaw of the cs352 is the chain catch. It WILL snap off. I plastic welded mine back on and ADDED more plastic for better gussets. Problem solved. Echo never knew about the weakness because the lying dealer wouldn't file for Warranty. Lie to me once and you are a liar. That saw was new. First time chain jumped. Jerk sent me home to repair it myself. Don't believe in warranty or that you won money until both are proved to be true. Have a great day.

Hi there, i am brand new to this site, so here we go! And by that I mean go easy on me. Well, Wow, you being an electrical engineer, I can understand you being interested in a electric chainsaw, and be curious to see if it could keep up, and me being an electrician by trade,(and a bad one at that, I'm 100% indistrial/high voltage as I have wired many of the lower mainlands bc hydro sites over the last 5 years, and not 12/2 or mcc, but 35kv+ Terminations, and usually at least a 2000mcm conductor, so electricity intrigues me, it's called power for a reason :). But I as well, have an electric chainsaw at my disposal at my parents cabin where I am staying at the moment and my family and I sold our home to build our dream. It's a yardworks with a 16" bar, auto oiler, and probably the next size up model from the one you have in your picture on the right, and if you put it in between the two you have shown, it would look like a 1,2,3 sizing. The chain itself has a preeeety shallow angle on the grind, to aid in keeping the chain moving easily, but after sharpening it, and using it for a bit of fire wood, and removal of some tree's around the property but mostly firewood for the coming months, it's all fir and arbutus, and im actually quite impressed with its ability to send curlie fries flying even through the arbutus rounds I'm cropping to size, it just chews and chews and chews, it may not be a gas saw, not even close, but for what it is, I am still fairly impressed at the cutting rate, and the fact that it may bog down when I really give it some weight, it never stalls, and just keeps chewing, for around the yard, I really can't complain, no gas, just throw oil at it when it gets low, and go! But I am
Also intrigued by the new 80v battery powered chainsaws that are coming out, they look to be decent quality, but cannot actually comment on them
Other than, they look like I'd pick one up if it was in front of me and give it a try, but I wouldn't buy one without first using first hand, people have very different opinions on what they think is great, and what they think is crap, and I try not to be all for or against anything till some real facts, are put in front of me. So I definitly agree with what your saying, that there are a lot bogus and biased reviews out there, and too many people just want to hear what they agree with. Hope this don't piss anyone off! Hope this first post of mine is well received, have a gooder, and keep mixing gas kickin ass!

Wanna cut firewood you need a Gas Saw.

Can't comment on the review: it's just one person's opinion that gets posted, and you don't know what their experience is. Also some 'sweetheart' reviews by guys who have owned a tool for 15 minutes or so. You get what you pay for on Internet reviews.

But you can't stereotype all electric saws from one either. You bought a 'less-than-$50-chainsaw' from WalMart: what would you expect from a $50 gas saw from WalMart?

The other saw in the photo appears to be a Remington 7 to 8 Amp, light duty chainsaw, which frequently goes on sale around here for $30: hard to buy a decent guide bar, or some chain loops, for that price.

I own about a dozen, or so, electric chainsaws (I buy a lot of them used). Some are cheap ones that are good for light trimming. Some are heavier duty ones that are capable of 'real' work. Not surprisingly, the better, more powerful saws cost more: some in the $200 - $300+ range (again, still within the price range of a 'modest' gas powered chainsaw). I have posted on them extensively, and won't repeat everything here, but interested folks can browse the threads below, and others:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/electric-chainsaws.285663/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/electric-chainsaws.252573/
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...w-used-stihl-e20-vs-new-makita-uc4030.174360/
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/new-oregon-corded-electric-chainsaw.268379/

P1103481.jpg

Makita Noodling PowerSharp.jpg
(13A Makita electric saw, purchased used from Home Depot RENTAL stock: imagine what it takes to stand up to Home Depot Rental use!).

Even gas saws come in different sizes: can't compare a 30cc saw with a 60cc one: use them within their capabilities and you will get a lot of work done.

Philbert

Sorry for double posting, I got excited, but that makita looks like it's a work horse, what size of bar do you have on it?

I bought a 40v Oregon powernow saw over a year ago. It may be good if you live in town or the suburbs, but it was overrated, and expensive. I got rid of it. If I’m not able to crank a gas saw, I have no business being in the woods.

YEAAAAAAAHHH BUDDAY!! look
At those spaghetti straws that makita is throwing!!! . . . that makita looks like it's a work horse, what size of bar do you have on it?
16" bar with PowerSharp chain. Silver maple.

I bought a 40v Oregon powernow saw over a year ago. It may be good if you live in town or the suburbs, but it was overrated, and expensive. I got rid of it. If I’m not able to crank a gas saw, I have no business being in the woods.

Battery powered saws fall into a different category. They keep getting better, but do not fill every need.
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...chainsaws-and-outdoor-power-equipment.177392/

Philbert

Only a 16" bar, man that motor is tiny, makes the bar look like it's a lot bigger than it is, but now it's just even more impressive!
That saw is a couple of generations old - newer model is 15 Amps. Worm drive configuration with a in-line design (makes it look like a Sazall with a chainsaw guide bar). Very maneuverable, especially in tight hedges, etc.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/UC4051A

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/414el/967256101/

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/electric-saws/

Philbert

The tiny Remington in the Photo is for comparison. It's sold with an extension pole. It DOES NOT auto oil. But it's been great for building a pole barn. You can run it with one hand. The Worx is heavy BUT as stated does cut ok. Also as stated you get what you pay for most times.
My opinion,,,,,and I stress, My opinion, is that When I see a review stating this cheap electric chainsaw is good for cutting firewood my eyes roll. I have quiet a few Electric Chainsaws and have given some for gifts and they do have their place. As stated it's hard to stall them. That's the reason they cut right through most Chaps. Electric has a lot of torque. I've not seen one with a slip clutch. I've seen them strip gears. They are what they are like a Donkey is not a Horse but some people like a Donkey. My now adult daughters as children had both and loved them both. I have and like both gas and electric chainsaws but don't see how they could be compared.
Anyone who actually has and likes their electric chainsaws certinally has a right to enjoy their product. Then there are petrol guys that like the power speed and versitality of petrol and laugh at electric. A friend of mine uses a 50 dollar Horbor Frieght Electric and loves it. I'm way too impatient. I'd burn it out trying to buck up a tree. Sometimes batte and cords are great near the house for limited use where noise may be a factor. I once over worked and an Electric saw and burned it up. I am kinda hard on equipment I don't move slow. So far the petrol saws made by Sthil and Echo are holding up good. The problem I have is comparing one to the other like I've seen done. They are two different animals. There may be guys who haul trees to the house and cut them up with electric saws and love it. I see Electric reviews knocking gas because of mixing or gas sitting up and carbs gumming. It's my habit to run all petrol engines once a month so that's not a problem. I like reading reviews and what I see often is operator error blamed on the product. I think anyone with knowledge and training will have a better result with the products, be it electric or petrol and one reason being experienced people are able to choose better equipment. Enjoy your saw, be it electric or petrol but I think it's unrealistic to compare a cheap Electric to a decent petrol and try (as I'v seen done by bias guys) to make it sound like electric is best. Both can be perfect for that place they serve best. Then of course gas to gas comparisons are really exciting to watch. Husqvarna is best, no Sthil is best, no Echo is best on and on. The truly best product, is what works best for you and makes you happy. Don't mean to sound rude. Just my opinion.
Have a great day.

That's awesome! I love your level headedness, too many people have slanted opinions, and you are absolutely correct, to each their own!
My only saw that I own, is my ms660, and I'm currently trying to find a 60cc saw for firewood at my property, the electric saw, will be stay at the cabin, as fuel gumming with a bad choice in mix aren't fun to clean (THANKS ETHANOL!) and as far as premixing goes, I'm a 2 stroke moto-crosser, always have always will, and I'm pretty savy with my porting work, and a good knowledge of 2 strokes, so I'm extremely picky on fuel and oil choices, they are vital, not all oil's are equil, but i am with you as well when it comes to
Running out what's in the carb, and getting fresher mix into the bowl, it works, and a hell of a lot easier than popping a float bowl.

But back to the electric side of things, I think they might be comparable to a gas saw....... eventually..... like long ways off, but it is going to need a superior battery setup to what's being offered now at a usable weight, 80v isn't gonna cut it, and it's gonna require a LOT of amperage to make an electric motor outshine something petrol, battery technology just isn't there yet, but I will
Say, even a 2 strokes powerband looks
Weak in comparison to a comparable electric motors, 45degree climb in power, and electric motors lay down torque almost instantly, but that being said, Good luck carrying something that powerful around in the bush, vs what it would be rated at in a 2 stroke saw. So just stick to mixing for anything serious for sure, plus it's like your mixing a magic formula for something that is a wonder in itself that it even runs, its fun!!! Even the 4 stroke moto crowd, one of their arguments is "I don't have to mix gas, I just go and fill my bike up with my truck and go riding" I just think it's lazy. Thank you for the input! I like to hear points of view and people's opinion, but lots are taken with a grain of salt, so to hear a balanced debate is always welcome.

That's awesome! I love your level headedness, too many people have slanted opinions, and you are absolutely correct, to each their own!
My only saw that I own, is my ms660, and I'm currently trying to find a 60cc saw for firewood at my property, the electric saw, will be stay at the cabin, as fuel gumming with a bad choice in mix aren't fun to clean (THANKS ETHANOL!) and as far as premixing goes, I'm a 2 stroke moto-crosser, always have always will, and I'm pretty savy with my porting work, and a good knowledge of 2 strokes, so I'm extremely picky on fuel and oil choices, they are vital, not all oil's are equil, but i am with you as well when it comes to
Running out what's in the carb, and getting fresher mix into the bowl, it works, and a hell of a lot easier than popping a float bowl.

But back to the electric side of things, I think they might be comparable to a gas saw....... eventually..... like long ways off, but it is going to need a superior battery setup to what's being offered now at a usable weight, 80v isn't gonna cut it, and it's gonna require a LOT of amperage to make an electric motor outshine something petrol, battery technology just isn't there yet, but I will
Say, even a 2 strokes powerband looks
Weak in comparison to a comparable electric motors, 45degree climb in power, and electric motors lay down torque almost instantly, but that being said, Good luck carrying something that powerful around in the bush, vs what it would be rated at in a 2 stroke saw. So just stick to mixing for anything serious for sure, plus it's like your mixing a magic formula for something that is a wonder in itself that it even runs, its fun!!! Even the 4 stroke moto crowd, one of their arguments is "I don't have to mix gas, I just go and fill my bike up with my truck and go riding" I just think it's lazy. Thank you for the input! I like to hear points of view and people's opinion, but lots are taken with a grain of salt, so to hear a balanced debate is always welcome.
Thank you. By now you may have guessed I think outside the box. My Dad beat my butt a lot because of that. I actually think piston engines will become extinct IF this society doesn't implode. I predicted electric cars back in 1978.
I also envision the day that power signals will be sent through the air to power things with batteries that operate Chainsaws and even cars. The signal can fluctuate due to weather mountians etc. but the battery (unlike anything we know now) will smooth out the Electromotive forces. Outboard motor etc. No power lines to maintain. Supply units installed at the customers locations.
You and I could enjoy a chat.
Here is a quote you may find interesting.
The most absured, immature, and ignorant based illusion is that, this reality we now know, is the only reality we will ever know.
Chief Redelk

Someone may like this tool. I made 5 of them recently.
It's big so I don't loose it easily. It's brightly colored so I can find it if I drop it.
This thing has a blade made from the tine of a Yard broom. The metal is spring steel. Set the metal in a handle and it's excellent for cleaning the Groove crap out of a chainsaw bar. Also mine fits the carb screws. Great for on the spot adjustments. My brothers like em plus I supply them with wood wedges.
Be blessed. IMG_20190908_164326_839.jpg

Mind if I just refer to you as tesla? I like out of box thinking, I think my
Favourite quote is "friends don't let friends rock stock" I modify absolutely everything I can, and yes I think petrol
Has it's days numbered even though we are so dependent on it, I think one of the neatest inventions, well two now that my brain kicked into gear, but one was to build a sort of box that can go around transmission lines, and it collects electricity from the electrical field of the transmission lines so line crews could plug their tools in, even in the most remote locations and still have constant steady power, just a theory I read about a while back, but this next one reaaaaally intrigued me, and my fascination of producing energy, no matter how small, from nature itself, and this little genius idea is about collecting energy out of snowfall, its based around a silicone pad that has a negatively charged electrode inside the moulding, and as snow falls it gathers static electricity and once a snow flake makes contact, it transfers it energy to the negative electrode and gathers the snows static charge, and have even done testing the same principle on people's boots in the winter, just merely walking on snow produced enough of a electrical charge to gathered. I gotta cut it off here though, off to my
Parents with the fam, happy sunday

I gotta cut it off here though, off to my
Parents with the fam, happy sunday[/QUOTE]

Very interesting conversation. So then an automobile, theoretically could create static electricity maybe enough to keep batteries charged. A magnetic substance embedded in the highway and a coil connected under the moveable vechicle only inches away may produce useable current. That way an automobile could possible recharge while moving.
I think man locks himself into his own demise by believing he already knows.
As you mentioned, yes power is found outside the insulation of loaded lines. Thats called the "Hall Effect". Also we have the Corona effect on high voltage wires. I think Solar Cells are a good first step but eventually they too will become outdated. I believe there is yet an unknown technology and we may find it unless we are blinded by our own known laws of physics as we now know them. When I hear someone say, that won't work I think, maybe not the way you are doing it. Sometimes a piece of puzzle don't fit until we change the way we assemble it. For example in electrical circuits we may have point A as + and point B as a negative but measured between point C and B then point B may be more positive than point C while still being negative when viewed from the other prestive. This is why it's unrealistic to state facts without comparisons. Have a great day.

Okay, this is gonna get waaaaay off
Track, but I like it! And I agree fully with you, if something you try hasn't worked, your parameters need to be modified or changed in a certain way, if we just wrote things off because they didn't work the first time, man kind would probably would have walked away from wooden houses after the first one burnt down hahahahahah. To get into that mindset with your electric car theory would be amazing, first thing that came to mind there was slot cars, and that is such a rad theory and way of tackling the battery problem with electric cars, and as well there is already a system Developed by Toyota and was used in their formula 1 cars, it's a brake regen system, that takes the heat build up, and turns the heat into
Electricity, and stored in a capacitor bank in the car itself, and that capacitor powers an 80 electric hp motor attached directly Inline with the crankshaft of the petrol engine, and could be activated down straights to basically add 160bhp to the engine for overtaking before the next corner. Not the total all out answer, but very very neat idea, but I think it was eventually banned from competition, due to the advantage it gave. But to put it bluntly, I don't think man even understands the laws of physics fully, we still have much to learn, and much much more to learn about how to utilize and harness it's true power and Capabilities. It's really neat to speak with someone who is intrigued by the same things, it doesn't Happen very often, please feel free to message me at any time
And keep the convo going, I love hearin theories both plausible and just thoughts, thank you for your time! And have a great night, I'll try and post again later!

Okay, this is gonna get waaaaay off
Track, but I like it! And I agree fully with you, if something you try hasn't worked, your parameters need to be modified or changed in a certain way, if we just wrote things off because they didn't work the first time, man kind would probably would have walked away from wooden houses after the first one burnt down hahahahahah. To get into that mindset with your electric car theory would be amazing, first thing that came to mind there was slot cars, and that is such a rad theory and way of tackling the battery problem with electric cars, and as well there is already a system Developed by Toyota and was used in their formula 1 cars, it's a brake regen system, that takes the heat build up, and turns the heat into
Electricity, and stored in a capacitor bank in the car itself, and that capacitor powers an 80 electric hp motor attached directly Inline with the crankshaft of the petrol engine, and could be activated down straights to basically add 160bhp to the engine for overtaking before the next corner. Not the total all out answer, but very very neat idea, but I think it was eventually banned from competition, due to the advantage it gave. But to put it bluntly, I don't think man even understands the laws of physics fully, we still have much to learn, and much much more to learn about how to utilize and harness it's true power and Capabilities. It's really neat to speak with someone who is intrigued by the same things, it doesn't Happen very often, please feel free to message me at any time
And keep the convo going, I love hearin theories both plausible and just thoughts, thank you for your time! And have a great night, I'll try and post again later!

Very interesting. I've enjoyed this and you are definitely a cool guy.
However, out of respect for those who may become annoyed I am going to try to get back to chainsaws.
You may contact me personally anytime and we can gladly exchange ideas.
I wish everyone a nice day. Thank everyone for your patience. Good day.

Back