Chainsaw sizing question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZRAYZIG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m trying to decide what size saw to get, I have a 2 small saws for taking limbs off and for cutting smaller trees, one with a 16” bar and one with a 20”, I’m looking for a saw to fell trees easily and also cut the occasional larger tree, (usually ones that have fallen already). My question is what’s the biggest tree you could cut (reasonably) with a Stihl ms 261 with 20” bar? And depending on the answer to that, should I get the ms 362 with a 25” bar? Also I don’t cut large trees often, just need something that’ll do em when I need to. Also willing to look at other brands versions of these saws.

I’m trying to decide what size saw to get, I have a 2 small saws for taking limbs off and for cutting smaller trees, one with a 16” bar and one with a 20”, I’m looking for a saw to fell trees easily and also cut the occasional larger tree, (usually ones that have fallen already). My question is what’s the biggest tree you could cut (reasonably) with a Stihl ms 261 with 20” bar? And depending on the answer to that, should I get the ms 362 with a 25” bar? Also I don’t cut large trees often, just need something that’ll do em when I need to. Also willing to look at other brands versions of these saws.
I have a261 with an 18" bar and a 400 with a 20" bar. I can cut most everything with those 2 saws. The 400 can pull a 25" bar if needed. I feel you run out of juice putting a 25" on a 362. Same with a 20" bar on the 261. Just my 2 pennies. BTW ,Welcome to AS.

I have a261 with an 18" bar and a 400 with a 20" bar. I can cut most everything with those 2 saws. The 400 can pull a 25" bar if needed. I feel you run out of juice putting a 25" on a 362. Same with a 20" bar on the 261. Just my 2 pennies. BTW ,Welcome to AS.
I was thinking about this after I posted this and I agree, I think I would go a size smaller with the bars.

It's all about finding the right fit. The MS 261 with a 20" bar is a versatile choice, but if you anticipate tackling larger trees more often, leaning towards the 400 is the way to go.
It seems not everyone uses the 362, but just jumps to the 400 or the 391, is that just because the 362 is a weird in between where its to heavy and not enough power?

Also I see some saws have a smaller cc with more hp than other saws with more cc, for instance the 362 has 59cc at 4.6 hp while the 391 has 4.4hp at 64 cc, does the cc make for better pulling power despite less hp?

You didn't mention budget, or what size trees you're going to be tackling. If you're going to be in the ~18" and under predominantly tree size 50-60cc is all you'll really need. Anything much bigger then that it would be stepping up into the 60-70cc, and running a bar much over 24" in hardwood you'll want a 90cc saw.
I'm not a 50cc fan, but really like the ms261 since it came out. Good little saws, light and decent power. I wouldn't put more then an 18" b/c in one. 550mk2 husqy would be a good choice as well.
No point in a ms362, the ms400 made it obsolete, stihl should be ashamed for continuing to sell the 362, since the 400 is out. Great saw, I love mine and do most of my cutting with it. Then jump to a husqy 390xp if I have need in bigger wood.

Also I see some saws have a smaller cc with more hp than other saws with more cc, for instance the 362 has 59cc at 4.6 hp while the 391 has 4.4hp at 64 cc, does the cc make for better pulling power despite less hp?
Stop looking at cc, you're mixing pro and home owner grade saws together. Different construction, different quality.

It seems not everyone uses the 362, but just jumps to the 400 or the 391, is that just because the 362 is a weird in between where its to heavy and not enough power?
The 391 is a heavy turd, home owner saw. The 362 was replaced by the 400 a few years ago. It's everything the 362 should have been and more. The price difference is a bit steep imo, but we'll worth it imo.
Edit, the 362 and 400 are both pro grade saws.

A 260/261 with a 20 inch bar will cut the vast majority of trees most folks cut. I rarely use anything above 24 inch
Too many times folks try to replace poor technique by using a larger saw or longer bar. All they are doing is wasting money and masking using their noggin.

How big of tree will you run into?

thanks for the clarification Sean that cleared up most of my questions. after Thinking about it I have no need for a 25” bar. A 20”bar with a saw that can do a good job pulling it will prob be my best bet

A 260/261 with a 20 inch bar will cut the vast majority of trees most folks cut. I rarely use anything above 24 inch
Too many times folks try to replace poor technique by using a larger saw or longer bar. All they are doing is wasting money and masking using their noggin.

How big of tree will you run into?
As far as tree size goes I’m looking to cut basically 20” - 30+” trees, I def won’t be going over 40” or even heavy 30s

If budget isn’t of concern get a 90cc class saw !!! I have no real need for the 066 I purchased but man oh man it sure is fun to run !! Crack the throttle and watch the chips fly 🤤

I much prefer being able to make both cuts from the same side of the tree as needed since I cut in a lot of ditches and don’t want to go down hill any more than needed. An 066 and a 32” bar is a handful but sure brings a smile when I run it. Use it to fell and park it for an 026 or a MS250 that doesn’t weigh as much as a Buick.

But yeah, you don’t “need” a larger saw. Sometimes it’s fun to play with bigger toys though so want outpaces need quickly if budget allows.

If budget isn’t of concern get a 90cc class saw !!! I have no real need for the 066 I purchased but man oh man it sure is fun to run !! Crack the throttle and watch the chips fly 🤤

I much prefer being able to make both cuts from the same side of the tree as needed since I cut in a lot of ditches and don’t want to go down hill any more than needed. An 066 and a 32” bar is a handful but sure brings a smile when I run it. Use it to fell and park it for an 026 or a MS250 that doesn’t weigh as much as a Buick.

But yeah, you don’t “need” a larger saw. Sometimes it’s fun to play with bigger toys though so want outpaces need quickly if budget allows.
lol I def would If I could, Im basically thinking the same thing just with a 400, as I have smaller saws to run once the big stuff is cut.

Another question, has anybody had issues with the stihl mtronic? And is the ”lightweight“ bars they offer worth it? I feel like if it’s lighter it wouldn’t last as long or hold up to abuse as well(not saying it’ll get abused that much but stuff happens)

There is no doubt there is fun factor
In the early 80's I had a cousin that pulled a 6 row 7000 with a new 4440. It was overkill. Years later after the 4440's were long gone and his main 2wd was a 325 horse CIH Magnum I saw him at an auction. He was trying to by a 4440. I asked him why. He said well Bill what hell I am supposed to pull a 15ft batwing with..... 😄. I just chuckled

Another question, has anybody had issues with the stihl mtronic? And is the ”lightweight“ bars they offer worth it? I feel like if it’s lighter it wouldn’t last as long or hold up to abuse as well(not saying it’ll get abused that much but stuff happens)
It works fine. It's a carb with a fuel solenoid, not rocket science to work on.
Light weight bars only make a big difference in the bigger ones. If you want to save a few bucks get the regular bars. Having said that, my 400 came with a 20" light weight amd I have a 25" laser light weight (tsumura) bar on it now. It was priced right. So I got it over a standard weight bar. Not enough difference in weight to justify it if it was more expensive, just hit a good deal on ebay.
Edit, since it looks like you're leaning towards a 400, a 20"/25" is a decent combo. a good muff mod, or bark box (loud as fek.. fyi) really wakes them up.

Latest posts

Back