261 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 261C pulling a 20'' bar and chain and I prefer it over my MS362 and my MS290 for bucking logs up to and including 40" logs. I have not had a single issue with it. In my opinion it's a great saw.

I do residential/commercial removals day in and day out, that being said for someone your age (and im guessing size) a 261 will wear you out in a few hours, so I wouldn't get a bigger heavier saw

You seventeen year old beast you!!

261 is a great saw. 16" is what I prefer, it's nicely balanced & not working the saw as hard. Longevity seems to be an issue with this model in commercial use.

You seventeen year old beast you!!

261 is a great saw. 16" is what I prefer, it's nicely balanced & not working the saw as hard. Longevity seems to be an issue with this model in commercial use.
LOL
there may be a few pictures of me swinging an 881 around, some days my 500i is the small saw, and yes, the 881 weighs as much as I do!

I am turning 14 this July. I will be using my savings from my firewood, pollinator-friendly mosquito control, and lawn care businesses as well as birthday money to buy a 261 because my 170 is good for carving and small tree removal but is terrible for bucking up huge logs. I originally wanted an MS 250 but really need something that can pull a 20" chain, be used frequently, and get double dogs. I am also going to buy a WCS kit ( Dogs to put on it and an exhaust mod once my warranty is up ) for it to upgrade it a bit. I need answers to the following questions:

1. M-Tronic or Manual carb? For background, I annually cut trees for a client of mine who owns an Airbnb in the mountains and I live fairly low in terms of elevation ( In the DMV area on the east coast ) and use my saws year-round.
2. Is 20" the best length?
3. Do any of you guys know if the light bars are good and make a big weight difference?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering!

And no, my ms 170 does not have a carving bar on it because I use an MS 194c ( Rear handle ) as a carver.

;
I've burned through a number of 026/261 over the years, lots of hard work with 16" .325 chain. I've had bot manual and Mtronic and have had little if any repairs or maintenance issues, always two or three pulls and off to work. Keep your air filters clean, your fuel mixed corectly and as alchohol free as possible and you shouldn't have any regrets with a 261. I've posted it before, I'd go to war with a 261.

I've burned through a number of 026/261 over the years, lots of hard work with 16" .325 chain. I've had bot manual and Mtronic and have had little if any repairs or maintenance issues, always two or three pulls and off to work. Keep your air filters clean, your fuel mixed corectly and as alchohol free as possible and you shouldn't have any regrets with a 261. I've posted it before, I'd go to war with a 261.
I would go to war with one too. I am going to get the 18" or 20" because I am going to put west coast saw dogs.

Stick with the 16 or 18" 20 is pushing it in hardwoods. well let me put it this way, it will be real slow progress. Let the factory dogs on it, they are more then adequate.
Well, that would have been good to know before I went and blowed all my damn money on Westcoastsaw.com

Well, that would have been good to know before I went and blowed all my damn money on Westcoastsaw.com
Your not a pro, at least not at your age. The 261c is plenty good for bucking wood and taking down some pretty good sized trees. I buck 40'' trees all the time with mine. Remember, your not in a race, your just bucking firewood. That saw with a 20'' bar is plenty saw for what your doing. I will take reliability over speed any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Keep your chain sharp and you will be fine.

Your not a pro, at least not at your age. The 261c is plenty good for bucking wood and taking down some pretty good sized trees. I buck 40'' trees all the time with mine. Remember, your not in a race, your just bucking firewood. That saw with a 20'' bar is plenty saw for what your doing. I will take reliability over speed any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Keep your chain sharp and you will be fine.
Well. I do all the above and keep my chains RAZOR sharp. I am actually buying it tomorrow. Are the Light 04 bars any good though? Should I get Mtronic? I might get m tronic because I will sometimes go to a customer's farmhouse in the Appalachian/ Sh
You have two choices when buying a saw. Lots of power or finesse. Finesse makes life easier at the end of the day and costs less. Learn how to use the 261.
Huh? I know how to use a chainsaw thank you very much.

You have two choices when buying a saw. Lots of power or finesse. Finesse makes life easier at the end of the day and costs less. Learn how to use the 261.
And, now that I have made my MS 194 C into a carving saw, I bought an MS170 and it is an absolute garbage saw for cutting big hardwoods. But good for small stuff. This is me with a 30-inch round and am MS 194 C. I also have a Husky 340 with a 16" which is not my favorite because it is a fuel-thirsty Hummersaw.

Attachments

• IMG_20230517_180434_893.jpg
    IMG_20230517_180434_893.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 0
And, now that I have made my MS 194 C into a carving saw, I bought an MS170 and it is an absolute garbage saw for cutting big hardwoods. But good for small stuff. This is me with a 30-inch round and am MS 194 C. I also have a Husky 340 with a 16" which is not my favorite because it is a fuel-thirsty Hummersaw.
Do you consistently cut big wood like 20in or bigger

Latest posts

Back