How do I fix a seized bar? I need answers ASAP!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need answers ASAP

I was out cutting wood with the grain, and both of my bars seized. I started with my Ms 261 and then that bar seized, and then I started cutting with my MS 170 and then that bar seized. Does somebody have a fix or does somebody know if this will be covered under warranty?
If the chain is stuck you'll just have to gut it out.
If the sprocket is jammed what worked for me was putting the bar in a vise and then work the teeth back and forth, maybe soak it in oil first.

I avoid the bio oils. If they sit or don't get cleaned off right away it polymerizes and about nothing as solvent will remove it. Paint came off with the crap when I scraped it off.

If you use that stuff run it dry then add some regular oil to flush it. Clean up under the covers.
I use canola oil all winter. As long as the saw's used at least monthly or so it never causes a problem. Might polymerize faster in the summer though. Even when I've let it sit long time and it hardens, WD40 or something similar has always softened it up.

does somebody know if this will be covered under warranty?
Huh???? no warranty on loops or bars that I know of. Those are considered consumable parts last time I checked. Cutting with the grain will always cause noodling and clogging up the bar and stopping the chain as it rotates around a sprocket nose. I try to avoid that with standard chisel chain. if you are gonna rip, you need a ripping chain, not a chisel chain.

if you are gonna rip, you need a ripping chain, not a chisel chain.

Not necessarily. A ripping chain produces a smoother cut due to the angle of the cutters. Desirable when cutting boards for a project. Standard chain will rip slightly faster (and leave a rougher finish), again, due to the angle of cutters.

Latest posts

Back