Need help on deciding a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would guess the Echos are as easy to work on as anything. Usually you want to open up the mufflers and pull the carb limiter caps. There is a big dealer near me where I sometimes buy parts but honestly I usually buy parts from eBay. If there isn't an independent dealer near you there is always Home Depot.
Yeah home depot shoot I don't know where the nearest one is but I seen the 590 echo on Amazon 456 buckroos yeah I mean as long as I don't have to take to much of to get to the carb primer fuel lines etc than I'm happy my poulan I can work on super easy cause everything is right there you know my black max not so much the same a little more difficult and I ain't cracked into a 291 so I don't know

Yeah home depot shoot I don't know where the nearest one is but I seen the 590 echo on Amazon 456 buckroos yeah I mean as long as I don't have to take to much of to get to the carb primer fuel lines etc than I'm happy my poulan I can work on super easy cause everything is right there you know my black max not so much the same a little more difficult and I ain't cracked into a 291 so I don't know
I hate to shill for Home Depot but they are $7 cheaper with free shipping.
Sawagain has them for the same price and they throw in an extra chain. They have the PHO for $389 which is a pretty good deal. Not sure what the shipping is. They also have the 620p PHO for $549 which is a pretty good deal. You could throw a 20" Tsumura bar on there and be just over your $600 budget. The 620 is the "pro" version of the 590.
Lots of choices!

I hate to shill for Home Depot but they are $7 cheaper with free shipping.
Sawagain has them for the same price and they throw in an extra chain. They have the PHO for $389 which is a pretty good deal. Not sure what the shipping is. They also have the 620p PHO for $549 which is a pretty good deal. You could throw a 20" Tsumura bar on there and be just over your $600 budget. The 620 is the "pro" version of the 590.
Lots of choices!
I'll tell ya if you don't work as a salesperson for echo you damn sure need to cause I'm like 99 percent sure now I want a echo but just to treat myself a little as well I found cheap 24 inch bar which I'm not worried about the chain I got 2 16 inch chains I can make a 24 inch one and then the 75 buck stihl I believe my budget is now about 650 so I should be able to get 2 saws and a new bar 😁😅 need to spend money while I'm single I guess to

Need help deciding on a new saw right now I'm running a black max 38cc saw with a 18 inch tri link bar and I'm just using it for cleanups and firewood and some logging cutting walnut and oaks and it does really good but gets really hot and here soon I'm getting a trailer with a winch to load logs and I need a new and better saw I have a poulan p3314wsa 40 something cc but it needs a new carb fuel lines and filters and I really like the saw due to it being easy to work on but I seen a stihl ms291 for sale at a local pawnshop 75$ with a 18 inch bar but I believe I could get by with a 20 or 24 on it and I do have a little budget of about 600$ which I thought of getting a new husqvarna 440 to 460 rancher but I just don't know yet do I keep the black max and run it or fix the poulan or buy a new saw???
Maybe look at an Echo 590.
5 year homeowner warranty.

If you're set on getting a smaller 50cc, you won't regret a MS 261 and is well worth the money, especially if you can find a deal on a clean used one. They will do a lot more than they were probably designed for.

And as soon as you can afford it, invest in a MS 661 and after the first couple of tanks, you'll wonder why you didn't bite the bullet before the 261.

Mad3400

If you're set on getting a smaller 50cc, you won't regret a MS 261 and is well worth the money, especially if you can find a deal in a clean used one. They will do a lot more than they were probably designed for.

And as soon as you can afford it, invest in a MS 661 and after the first couple of tanks, you'll wonder why you didn't bite the bullet before the 261.

Mad3400
Yeah I'm definitely gonna look at the 261 and keep in mind I'm not gonna be cutting huge timber my 18 inch bar and the biggest possibility for brushing and stuff is the 24 inch bar and I do plan on saving to get maybe a used 661 I can tinker on and get running 😉 something I love to do

I am you still in my teenage years I thought of echo I just didn't know how goof of a brand they are I'll definitely add the 590 to the list of possibilities
Echo gives a 5 year warranty to homeowners on their saws. I have a CS620P that cost around $630 w/ a 24" bar about a year ago. I could have saved about $200 by getting the CS590 Timberwolf. But I wanted a professional saw. The dealer tried to talk me into the 590.
I was given an Echo CS4600 , it has incredible power for a 46cc power saw! I will be going all Echo as finances permit, last week ordered a top handle CS 355T. Next year, hopefully a CS501P will replace the Husqvarna 450e. Good luck!!!

really the 460 husky is not a bad choice for a box store saw. common chain too. 3/8 50 72dl

Echo gives a 5 year warranty to homeowners on their saws. I have a CS620P that cost around $630 w/ a 24" bar about a year ago. I could have saved about $200 by getting the CS590 Timberwolf. But I wanted a professional saw. The dealer tried to talk me into the 590.
I was given an Echo CS4600 , it has incredible power for a 46cc power saw! I will be going all Echo as finances permit, last week ordered a top handle CS 355T. Next year, hopefully a CS501P will replace the Husqvarna 450e. Good luck!!!
I'm definitely gonna go echo I think since I'm liking what I'm hearing

If you can afford it, buy the stihl or the husky 50cc pro saw. Then you will learn what a proper professional saw feels like.

It will most likely be your most used saw. Then expand your line with whatever you feel like.

Until you know what a true pro saw is, you will never know. You might come on to places like this extolling the virtues of not-really-pro saws as if they were. Not knowing.

If you set a high bar, you will be able to accurately assess other equipment, and determine if it will satisfy your requirements/expectations. And many sub-pro saws will, over time. I like the ms261 suggestion over everything else suggested.

Life lesson...

Good luck!

I would buy a chinese saw over any of the big name farm saws for 1/3 of the price or less. But I would buy a professional stihl or husky if I were you.

If you can afford it, buy the stihl or the husky 50cc pro saw. Then you will learn what a proper professional saw feels like.

It will most likely be your most used saw. Then expand your line with whatever you feel like.

Until you know what a true pro saw is, you will never know. You might come on to places like this extolling the virtues of not-really-pro saws as if they were. Not knowing.

If you set a high bar, you will be able to accurately assess other equipment, and determine if it will satisfy your requirements/expectations. And many sub-pro saws will, over time. I like the ms261 suggestion over everything else suggested.

Life lesson...

Good luck!

I would buy a chinese saw over any of the big name farm saws for 1/3 of the price or less. But I would buy a professional stihl or husky if I were you.
I have never ran a real pro saw other than once a 661 never cut anything with it as it was at my buddy's shop but I'll probably roll with a echo for now but thank you everyone for your recommendations it was helpful and I learned that echo ain't like holzfforma and all those Chinese saws I never did no looking in on echo cause I thought they were like neotec and holzfforma

Well. Just know that you will be buying a very good example of a "farm" saw, not a professional saw in any way, shape, or form. But a good saw, nonetheless. It should last you for many years.

It would behoove you to run a true pro saw at some point.

You’ll need files plural. I’d go to the local dealer and handle a few saws. Hard to go wrong with any pro saw. Depends also on how big you’re cutting.
Local dealer for stihl sounds like a nightmare walk in say you want a 500 bucks saw and he tries to give you a 1500 one

I think you made the right choice. Many, many people on here will tell you the Echo 590 is probably the best bang for the buck on the market right now. And the really significant thing is you seem to hear that from guys that run Stihls, Huskys or almost any brand of saw, so it is not a recommendation based on brand bias.

If you want to get an education on Holzfforma saws watch the videos produced by afleetcomnand. He tests them extensively and gives unbiased reviews. Lots of the people on this site and elsewhere who tell you chinese saws are junk have never run one. I have holzfforma G372 (Husky 372 clone), have run it several years without replacing anything and can tell you from first hand experience it is definitely not a piece of junk.

But I think the Echo 590 would serve you very well.

I think you made the right choice. Many, many people on here will tell you the Echo 590 is probably the best bang for the buck on the market right now. And the really significant thing is you seem to hear that from guys that run Stihls, Huskys or almost any brand of saw, so it is not a recommendation based on brand bias.

If you want to get an education on Holzfforma saws watch the videos produced by afleetcomnand. He tests them extensively and gives unbiased reviews. Lots of the people on this site and elsewhere who tell you chinese saws are junk have never run one. I have holzfforma G372 (Husky 372 clone), have run it several years without replacing anything and can tell you from first hand experience it is definitely not a piece of junk.

But I think the Echo 590 would serve you very well.
I think so to and you know maybe I can get echo I few more fan Boys to everyone here swears on stihl only know 3 people who use huskys but there the cheap ones under 600$ and the name timberwolf sounds badass

Latest posts

Back