Need help on deciding a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crftrapper535

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Need help deciding on a new saw right now I'm running a black max 38cc saw with a 18 inch tri link bar and I'm just using it for cleanups and firewood and some logging cutting walnut and oaks and it does really good but gets really hot and here soon I'm getting a trailer with a winch to load logs and I need a new and better saw I have a poulan p3314wsa 40 something cc but it needs a new carb fuel lines and filters and I really like the saw due to it being easy to work on but I seen a stihl ms291 for sale at a local pawnshop 75$ with a 18 inch bar but I believe I could get by with a 20 or 24 on it and I do have a little budget of about 600$ which I thought of getting a new husqvarna 440 to 460 rancher but I just don't know yet do I keep the black max and run it or fix the poulan or buy a new saw???

This one maxes out your budget if you hurry while the sale is on. It accepts the small mount bars. If you get a different clutch drum, you can run .325 bar and chains in 7 and 8 tooth drive instead of what it comes with in this market 7 tooth 3/8. Hope this helps. Or perhaps something in the 50cc size instead?

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/chainsaws/555/

This one maxes out your budget if you hurry while the sale is on. It accepts the small mount bars. If you get a different clutch drum, you can run .325 bar and chains in 7 and 8 tooth drive instead of what it comes with in this market 7 tooth 3/8. Hope this helps. Or perhaps something in the 50cc size instead?

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/chainsaws/555/
I do plan to upgrade my saw after this upgrade and I would like either the 565 stihl 661 or 462 but the sale on that 555 will probably be up when I actually do get the money it'll be whatever is leftover from the 12 to 16 foot trailer which if I know right should be 600 hundro left

I'm a Husqvarna man but I'd buy a echo i had run them for about 7 year's
A 590 for a good 60cc saw
Occasionally 24" bar saw but happier with a 20" can be found under 360.00 often
Or a lighter echo 4920 for a good 50cc saw i ran 18" on the earlier echo 490
They are around 300.00 or so.
At 75.00 even that 291 sounds ok

With a $600 budget I would get a 261Stihl and not look back.
If your young and don't mind carrying a bit of weight I would get an Echo 590 Timberwolf for almost half the price.
I am you still in my teenage years I thought of echo I just didn't know how goof of a brand they are I'll definitely add the 590 to the list of possibilities

I'm a Husqvarna man but I'd buy a echo i had run them for about 7 year's
A 590 for a good 60cc saw
Occasionally 24" bar saw but happier with a 20" can be found under 360.00 often
Or a lighter echo 4920 for a good 50cc saw i ran 18" on the earlier echo 490
They are around 300.00 or so.
At 75.00 even that 291 sounds ok
Yeah that 291 blew me away at the price the lady also had a bigger sthil I don't remember the model seems like a 391 and it had a huge bar which if it's good for the price to I may consider it I'll definitely look at the echos I was thinking a holzfforma I've seen a lot of guys with those and there only 300 to 500 for a big 90cc saw only downside is I don't need that big of a saw but hey maybe any recommendations on those holzfformas?

I am you still in my teenage years I thought of echo I just didn't know how goof of a brand they are I'll definitely add the 590 to the list of possibilities
I'm a Stihl fan but it's hard to beat the sale price on the husky's now. My dealer said it ran till mid march but I don't know the exact date.

I'm a Stihl fan but it's hard to beat the sale price on the husky's now. My dealer said it ran till mid march but I don't know the exact date.
I only said stihl cause the pawn shop with the 291 and cause I do love me a 661 which I've tried before and it's awsome

NOS means "New Old Stock".
Echo has replaced the CS-4910 with the 4920 but you can still find the older model everywhere for like $380.
Ohhh OK makes since yeah I'll check those out I suppose I can just order them online? Because we got a tractor supply where I live with huskys and then the pawn shops with random saws and then a stihl dealer is there a echo dealer?

Yeah that 291 blew me away at the price the lady also had a bigger sthil I don't remember the model seems like a 391 and it had a huge bar which if it's good for the price to I may consider it I'll definitely look at the echos I was thinking a holzfforma I've seen a lot of guys with those and there only 300 to 500 for a big 90cc saw only downside is I don't need that big of a saw but hey maybe any recommendations on those holzfformas?
I have many holzfforma's g272,g372
G372xt,g288,g395
They are more hobbyist saws that you have to be willing to work on
They may have issues out of the box or not you never know.
So i never recommend them for a one saw person or someone not familiar with repairing saws.
I have 40 year's of spare oem parts if needed for them
These guy's here are quick to tell you that they are china trash
But I've cut a lot of wood with them
Cheap fun to me.

I have many holzfforma's g272,g372
G372xt,g288,g395
They are more hobbyist saws that you have to be willing to work on
They may have issues out of the box or not you never know.
So i never recommend them for a one saw person or someone not familiar with repairing saws.
I have 40 year's of spare oem parts if needed for them
These guy's here are quick to tell you that they are china trash
But I've cut a lot of wood with them
Cheap fun to me.
Yeah I was think a holzfforma 372 or 460 and as for hobby saw that may fit what I need this is new saw will be used for firewood and cleanups and occasionally tree and logging jobs I'm OK I would say at fixing saws

I would guess the Echos are as easy to work on as anything. Usually you want to open up the mufflers and pull the carb limiter caps. There is a big dealer near me where I sometimes buy parts but honestly I usually buy parts from eBay. If there isn't an independent dealer near you there is always Home Depot.

Latest posts

Back