Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worst saw? If not on the list comment below.

• Total voters

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me the saws you hate!

For me, I hate my MS 170 ( for anything other than carving ) because it is underpowered for firewood, and my 1999 Husquvarna 340 because it is a heavy fuel chugger and does nothing my 261 can't do 100 times better.

My favorite is my MS 194 C ( rear handle version ) carving saw, and my MS 261 C-M that is running an 18'' bar most of the time although I will also sometimes put a twenty incher on it.

Still trying to wrap my head around the MS 441 and MS 500i are even on the list for consideration.
I'm not sure I would take a free MS 311 or MS 391 if it was offered to me.
That fuel injection is da devil!

500i...yes, definitely the worst saw I've ever encountered despite being lighter and having the same ammount of power than larger saws.

Ms170 is not a firewood saw, that’s like saying a Toyota Yaris is a lousy limousine
I think the ms170 is the best “cheap” saw out there
I feel much the same. I have saw many used professionally mostly tree services. Not much of anything else from other saw manufacturers homeowners models being used professionally that I recollect.

Each have their purpose, some disposable, some not, prices varie accordingly. I know what's best for me, you know what's best for you. Japanese tech is there, China just cookie cuts without quality control at less than 1/2 or more of the price. You get what you pay for. Easy maintenance, dependability, built with quality materials are always paramount for a working man's equipment. If you want to make money with it, you need to spend money on it.

Agreed. The cylinder might(will) need an acid treatment to remove some aluminum deposits.
Chances are you only need a new piston after the cylinder bore is cleaned.
No need to spend extra $$ for an OEM piston, I'd suggest a Meteor piston for a final solution.
I'd recommend purchasing a cheap AM piston to determine if your cylinder bore cleaning process was successful before installing a quality unit.

500i...yes, definitely the worst saw I've ever encountered despite being lighter and having the same ammount of power than larger saws.

You have to run a 500i differently than say a 461 or 661.
BBR has several videos going through his dislike to like experience with a 500i.

Only the orange ones......

Honestly though like stihltech said above it's more of a personal preference than anything else I don't care for strato saws but i've seen some really nice ported ones it's just a personal thing.

Before he gets blasted too much some context might help. it appears his a 14 year old kid.
Cut him some slack.. Good on him I reckon for getting into the world of and learning all about chainsaws most kids are playing video games or on their phones 24/7 at his age.
Fair enough, I didn't know it was a kid posting. At least he is having a go.
I thought it was similar to that samual bloke who used to start threads like "how long does your chain stay sharp"?

Still trying to wrap my head around the MS 441 and MS 500i are even on the list for consideration.
I'm not sure I would take a free MS 311 or MS 391 if it was offered to me.
ya I pulled down a 391 last week and sure enough the same crap bearing keepers as the 290 and 390 was or still are, wondered what was mashed agaist the top of the cylinder, not sure of the year of this saw or if the have improved the main bearings or not on their newer models, anyway it can stay in a box in pieces till the owner gives me a call, makes ya wonder when you can pull down a 20 or more year old saw and the bearings are still good.

Mine is over 2 years old and has been flawless. Hardly use the 660 or 362 since I got it. Pulls a 32" with no issues while still being light and nimble with a 20" bar

Latest posts

Back