13-Year-Old's first tree removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my neighbors had me cut this over a patio full of almost brand-new expensive furniture because she was worried about it splitting over her patio or house. She wanted me to cut the stump 3 feet high, but I had to do it one foot because I could not fit my bar in without kickback risk. I used my MS 170 and GTA 26 to take this one down. It would have been perfect for my ms 194 if I had not converted it for carving. Afterward, I used my SH 56 C ( Blower mode ) to clean it all up. I cut all of the limbs on the side of the road to save time dragging the brush. I hope that all of my experience in youth will help me spend less time as a groundie and get me a climbing job faster. Overall I made $100 and I put pictures below this post.

How did I do?

Attachments

• 3818.jpeg
    3818.jpeg
    472.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230619_221905_907.jpg
    IMG_20230619_221905_907.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 1
Looks good to me. She may have wanted the stumps 3' high to make a small table over the area. Nice clean up too.

Also glad you are being safe. At 13, you have lots of time to recover from mistakes, but better to learn to not make them.
Yep. I was wearing a helmet system and chaps the entire time. I also used plastic wedges to notch the trunks over so that they didn't come flying back at me when I was cutting them with the MS 170.

I like your style! Attention to detail is a very important attribute and it will take you far.

I had a job when I was 14 repairing stringed instruments. Was good enough to get the job and did good work. Not a single complaint and many compliments. The shop didn’t hire me back the next summer because I hadn’t vacuumed out the cases and polished up the instruments after doing the good work… Lesson learned the hard way for me. Glad you are a step ahead of that.

This job was solo, but if you are working with others, as the young guy, keep your eyes and ears peeled for what you might anticipate is needed next. Saw turning off on the job site after extended cutting? You are showing up with the fuel and bar oil, anticipating that is what is needed. You get the picture.

Good luck! Proud of your outstanding work!

Back