A 13-year-old's first carving saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job.

Nice looking saw😎😎

Tighten that chain up and stay safe man. You have good PPE? Cant wait to see your work!!

Nice job.

Nice looking saw😎😎

Tighten that chain up and stay safe man. You have good PPE? Cant wait to see your work!!
I do wear PPE. You're also supposed to run a carving bar a little bit loose because it doesn't have a sprocket. Running the chain at normal tension will wear out the bar faster and do bad to your carvings.

Roger,

Just see a solid 1” sag in chain. it look’s excessive and that chain will eventually get thrown like that. Just trying help ya man.

Ill carry on. Have fun

I do wear PPE. You're also supposed to run a carving bar a little bit loose because it doesn't have a sprocket. Running the chain at normal tension will wear out the bar faster and do bad to your carvings.
you dont run a carving chain that loose, the chain can wiggle side to side and trash the bar (or come off and injure you) much easier than a tight chain
and no sprocket wont make any noticeable difference in bar wear, just run it like a normal chain
might be wise to ask me how I know, almost every expensive saw repair or near miss ive had was due to a loose chain
I tighten my chains (any saw) till the chain snaps back into the bar groove when pulled out, zero sag, but still turns fairly free (with a little drag)
rarely ever throw a chain and have never worn out a bar

I'm 13 and I made one of my 4 saws ( MS 194c ) into a carving saw. This is a picture:
What chain pitch are you using? In my limited use of a dime-tip bar with 1/4" chain, I did find it necessary to run it a little loose like any hard-nose bar - maybe because of the tight radius at the nose?

What chain pitch are you using? In my limited use of a dime-tip bar with 1/4" chain, I did find it necessary to run it a little loose like any hard-nose bar - maybe because of the tight radius at the nose?
absolutely it would be because of the small radius at the nose pulse no help form a sprocket. slightly looser will help reduce stress, heat, wear. but to much is still not safe. bars and chain are consumables that can be replaced. legs arms are not.

to the O.P.

nobody is trying to step on your toes. we want to help ya man. there are a LOT of people on here with loads of experience that are willing to share their knowledge. Best to learn from others mistakes/experiences when we can. all of us👍

absolutely it would be because of the small radius at the nose pulse no help form a sprocket. slightly looser will help reduce stress, heat, wear. but to much is still not safe. bars and chain are consumables that can be replaced. legs arms are not.

to the O.P.

nobody is trying to step on your toes. we want to help ya man. there are a LOT of people on here with loads of experience that are willing to share their knowledge. Best to learn from others mistakes/experiences when we can. all of us👍
Yep. I posted about my first tree removal earlier. I have started to run my chain with only 1/8th of an inch of sag. I haven't really been doing much carving though.

Back