I had a saw sorta stolen today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is a 'cutie' and being a dirty old man, I appreciate all of them actually. Having said that, there will never be an electric chainsaw here except for the Bauer 20 volt cheapie one I bought for my wife to use. $29 bucks, tool only and even comes with a bar oil tank, Oregon chain and bar as well.

I look at electric chainsaws like I look at EV's. Not happening here, ever.

I actually got the saw back. Somebody found it on the side of the road and decided to not be a total sack of crap and brought it to the store.
You are very lucky.

Taking it out of your truck bed would be stealing.

Finding it on the side of the road, a lot of guys would consider ’finders-keepers’: not theft. Especially, if there was no identification/contact information on the item.

Philbert

You are very lucky.

Taking it out of your truck bed would be stealing.

Finding it on the side of the road, a lot of guys would consider ’finders-keepers’: not theft. Especially, if there was no identification/contact information on the item.

Philbert
Yep. I called the guy up and asked if he had a Venmo. He said no and said he was returning the favor for all of the times he had lost stuff. The saw has no damage besides a ding on the chain brake. I gave it a very good clean.
20231029_151355.jpg
20231029_151401.jpg

Attachments

• 20231029_151355.jpg
    20231029_151355.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 0
She is a 'cutie' and being a dirty old man, I appreciate all of them actually. Having said that, there will never be an electric chainsaw here except for the Bauer 20 volt cheapie one I bought for my wife to use. $29 bucks, tool only and even comes with a bar oil tank, Oregon chain and bar as well.

I look at electric chainsaws like I look at EV's. Not happening here, ever.
I like my little one for carving. Corded saws are also pretty popular among carvers or at least I have heard.

Really popular with ice carvers.

Philbert
Oh yeah. Have you seen that a lot of iced carvers have an Alaskan Mill mounted to an MSE 250 or an E-20? I think that they're loyalty to corded saws probably has something to do with the fact that batteries don't always run and charge as well when it's freezing.

Does this mean it was "sort of" returned? 😉

Just givin' you a hard time. Glad to see you got it back and that there are still really good people out there doing the right thing - even when nobody else is looking.

Cool video. I actually got the saw back. Somebody found it on the side of the road and decided to not be a total sack of crap and brought it to the store. I was about to use my rainy day fund to buy another one but I will probably be saving it for another emergency.
I was going to ask, are you sure it was in the truck when you got to the saw shop?

Regardless, "onus is on you" is to use modern-speak, victim blaming; a theft is caused by the thief, not someone being incautious. That said... there are thieves so take steps to minimize their opportunities.

I went to Ace to pick up my axe that needed to be rehung as well as a carving chain. I also brought my MS 194 C to get a new muffler under warranty after the other one broke. My father parked his truck right in front of the store ( this will be important later ). I finished putting the stuff into the truck and got in. When we got home I realized that the saw was not in the truck and panicked. We immediately called the store to see if anyone turned it in and it was nowhere to be found. We went back and looked everywhere to no avail. Thank god that it had no carving bar or chain on it. I later reported it to the police as stolen.

I will be using my rainy-day fund to buy another MS 194 C as it is very likely that the saw will be extremely damaged. If I find the stolen Saw, I will be using it with an 8" cannon bar. The saw has a lot of sentimental value as it is my first Stihl chainsaw.

SN: 531671220

View attachment 1123499
Back in the 1960s, neighbor working under hood of his car from toolbox in open truck, while parked at a gas station, and they stole his toolbox without him hearing it... thieves have no limits... now they steal the whole car at gunpoint?

I got news for you they come out of the ghettos and travel as much as an hour to steal things. ATVs and expensive cars and trucks are on their list .
back when you could safely leave your keys in your jitney, a guy at church had his bat-o-ry stolen out of his jitney on a Wednesday night prayer meeting, back in the late 90's.

Back in the 1960s, neighbor working under hood of his car from toolbox in open truck, while parked at a gas station, and they stole his toolbox without him hearing it... thieves have no limits... now they steal the whole car at gunpoint?
And now the local home depot has turnstile-like gates so people do not steal tools and make s*** so damn expensive.

I got news for you they come out of the ghettos and travel as much as an hour to steal things. ATVs and expensive cars and trucks are on their list .
After you ventilate a couple of them word gets out and they no longer come within miles of you or yours. Strange times call for tried and true measures.

Latest posts

Back